What can you walk to?

That is what I though a trike was. My main fear with those is they are wider and less maneuverable on the roads. Probably more comfortable to ride though.

My main idea about using a trike is the increased carrying capacity. Don't know how I'd like it though as I've never rode one.
Maybe I'll just look into bike trailers.

I think "walking distance" is relative.

Yes, that :p

But to answer the question, I pretty much spend most of my time in three different locations. My unit in Vermont, my home in Saint-Hubert, QC, or at the apartment I rent in Ottawa, ON where I work.

From my unit in Vermont - There is a vending machine relatively close.

From my home in in Saint-Hubert, QC - A couple convenience stores, Costco, Bank, Subway, Tim Horton's. There used to be a vegetarian buffet style (pay by weight) restaurant, but they went out of business when they tried to go flexatarian to expand their customer base. It didn't work out so well for them. Lots of parks nearby though, and easy access to public transportation going into Montreal.

From my apartment in Ottawa, ON - Mongolian grill style restaurant with excellent veggie options and several grocery stores. If I'm willing to walk for about an hour, there are like a billion Indian restaurants (all veggie friendly, two of them veggie only), a vegetarian tea/coffee house, a Western style vegetarian buffet, a vegan bakery, and a vegetarian burger joint kind of place. Also lots of parks and a gym.

That said, if I've got a few days off and nothing to do, I'm limited only by the durability of my shoes.