What causes humans to be ignorant?

Tristan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I have a quick assignment for my World History class and would like to get some ideas for it.

It revolves around any interesting human behavior, and then trying to explain that behavior. I have come up with a couple of concepts that are not fully completed ideas. I would like to make my assignment that has somewhat to do with vegan fundamentals.

My first idea was to explain the behavior behind speciesism. The second idea was to explain this quote, “Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God and destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that this Nature he’s destroying is this God he’s worshipping.” — Hubert Reeves

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you pitched some new ideas to me.
Thanks!

Attachments

• B897E5AB-69BE-423D-A639-4DA287A1DB8B.png
    B897E5AB-69BE-423D-A639-4DA287A1DB8B.png
    490.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 02920A80-93D9-425B-80A2-784D23C3DDE6.png
    02920A80-93D9-425B-80A2-784D23C3DDE6.png
    451.6 KB · Views: 8
I think you vvill have a hard time finding any real useful data; its about hovv the things get used in academic circles. At least from perspective of me. Lost faith in education and all that, literally.

I kind of had looked forvvard to courses and things like that, but the manner the knovvledge gets used - I dont really vvant to pitch in on such things.

Decentralized educational efforts a different path?

Reactions: Susanne A.
I'm not sure what to say. I read the assignment and i thought the example was a poor choice. Nicotine addiction is a powerful force. Whether or not the early abuse had anything to do with it, a lot of smokers do not have the ability to quit.

Hmm. Maybe the instructor did that on purpose. Like here, you can do better than this.

Also judging by the example, this is to be a quick assignment. Just a couple of paragraphs. Your first two ideas... well save them for a final paper or better yet, a book.

Reactions: Susanne A.
Hi Tristan,

Lou has hit the nail very squarely on the head. In the smoking/cancer example your tutor gave there are only about 100 words. Either of the two suggestions you give would be highly suitable for a very lengthy thesis towards a degree. Also you appear to not have the time to produce such a masterpiece as the work was due in a week ago!

My suggestion to you, if you want to be into vegan fundamentals, is to study Veganite’s thread “Why isn’t everyone vegan?” There should be tons of ideas there. It is currently at the bottom of page 1 in General. But remember that your assignment states that your example be from your personal experience. So it might be someone who has scoffed at veganism or someone who claims that steak is good for you or someone who thinks animal welfare in California is wonderful.

The most important bit of your little essay is the last part where you are asked to attempt to explain the behaviour. That is where Veganite’s thread might be extremely valuable to you. Good luck.

Roger.

Postscript: Do we get to see the finished article?

Reactions: Susanne A. and Lou
I think the reason may be a more simple one - laziness. The people that I try to persuade to join the zero waste and vegan lifestyles always respond that it would involve 'too many changes' and that it would be inconvenient etc. The other factor is money & lack of time, I know of people who work for so long and have so many responsibilities that they simply don't have time and money to change their way of life for now. I don't want to excuse them but we all need that willingness and time are the necessary prerequisites to education. I hope it helps!

I saw a recent article, "Why the Majority is Always Wrong." It's essentially that people always care in any generation what is politically correct. You're always up against the very same individuals from whom you desire support.

I'm from the South so I understand this cradle. It's why I'm forceful. It's why I don't care about offending people. I know what they are.

Yet others strategize the ethical manipulation. We should seduce them. Just not my style. Hit them over the head with facts. I feel dirty being a pimp.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw a recent article, "Why the Majority is Always Wrong." It's essentially that people always care in any generation what is politically correct. You're always up against the very same individuals from whom you desire support.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” Mark Twain.

Roger.

That is a very difficuld question and nobody could give a real answer.

Last edited:
Hmm... maybe I've got an idea why this happend. Maybe genetically some people should be different not only physically but intelectually too? When I write my essay about human's psyhology I often use this example. I found this information over here and I think that this is a good explanation. Ignorance is bad but maybe it's "normal" (in some ways) for nature. Sad but possibly true.

It all boils down to consciousness and fear through conditioning and habit.

The most important task of every human being is to become aware of who you really are, the observer of your thoughts, emotions and body. You are the awareness in which you as a human appear. Don't identify with your thoughts and emotions, or body. These are miniscule parts of who you are. Who is it that observes these things that come and go? Everything that is temporary is not your essence. Who are you? Find out and fear disappears. And with it ignorance.