What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ash...about the wood ash? What does this do? I'm not familiar with this method.

It adds minerals and alkalizes the water that the seed/grain/legume soaks in. It is a form of Nixtamalization. Traditional Nixtamalization uses heat and wood ash or lime (slaked lime, not the fruit), to add minerals and loosen the outer seed coat (of corn traditionally, as it makes Niacin much more available), and then is left to soak overnight for further absorption.

However, just soaking in water + wood ash does increase mineral intake into the seed/grain/legume. Corn may require heating in solution for Niacin availability, I don't know.

Look up Nixtamalization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

I use wood ash (not lime), and have found that simply dipping 2 fingers into a bowl of ash then inserting them into the water is enough to turn it alkaline using a ph test for the amounts I typically soak.

Edit: It's important to note that the grain/seed/legume treated in such a way has the alkaline water drained off after soaking and the grain is rinsed - so only the minerals the seed actually absorbs are ingested. The oxidized minerals in the water and sitting on the seed are washed off.

Well, I was not planning on attending this party, let alone eating dinner there. This was a friends birthday party. They hired a caterer for it, which amazingly had some vegan options. I had a really yummy black bean and yam, veggie burger, with some salad and pickles. I was amazed at how good the burger was. It did not taste like a store bought one.

It's sure nice to go somewhere and have a reasonable option, without looking like your nitpicking.

@Nekodaiden

That's very interesting. I see it increases flavour and aroma as well.

Reactions: hopeful
This isn't a healthy dinner at all, but I really wanted to try Daiya Cheezecakes. So, my wonderful wife got me one, and I had a slice of Key Lim Cheezecake for dinner. I was still hungry, so I had a banana and some cherries.

Review: The Daiya Cheezecake Key Lime flavor was really good! I haven't had dairy cheesecake in a long time, but it seems like the Daiya could fool a dairy cheesecake-lover. Apparently you're not supposed to re-freeze it, as I was planning on doing with the remaining slices. There are three left (it is a pretty small cheezecake) so... Breakfast today will be another slice.

@Veganite

That sounds really good! It's so great when the vegan options are delicious! (Edited to add: instead of there being NO vegan options!)

That sounds really good! It's so great when the vegan options are delicious! (Edited to add: instead of there being NO vegan options!)

The birthday was for a younger former co-worker. As I said, I really hadn't planned on going, but I'm glad I did. I don't know if they had veggie options because of the younger crowd or if it was just a good call on the caterer's part. The best part was not feeling like a misfit, like I often do at backyard events. No one even questioned what I had on my plate....and it was tasty to boot.

I didn't really have dinner yesterday, I had two snacks:

1) A shake comprised of banana pieces (including peel), strawberries, dates, Tahini, sprouted barley and even some barley grass (yes, grass was part of this shake...one of my sprouting vessels containing sprouted barley I hadn't used all of went to grass so I decided to incorporate it. I have more now so it'll probably get used today).

2) A little later I wasn't super hungry but thought I could eat so I had a quick soup made from oats and sunflower seeds (both as flour), crushed flax, crushed sprouted barley, mushrooms, onion flakes, garlic powder and salt. Quick eats as I couldn't be bothered to make anything.

I finally tried the Miyoko's vegan mozz that I've been wanting to try! I had a homemade pizza (made by my wife) with vegan mozz and black olives on it. And tomato sauce. Yum.

Reactions: Veganite
I made the most delicious black bean and yam tacos. I added some fresh corn niblets, and made a mango salsa to go with them. I also made a simple slaw with some red cabbage and lime juice to give it some crunch and a little pop. I make these tacos often, but they come out slightly different each time. The mango salsa was a really tasty addition. Sometimes I use an avocado topping instead.

@hopeful

It's nice to be able to enjoy pizza. I liked Miyoko's cheese a lot, but it was too expensive for my tastes. Maybe a special occasion. No...that won't work....every time I eat pizza I consider it a special occasion ;)

Reactions: hopeful
Popcorn with vinegar, salt and nutritional yeast flakes.

Homemade beer.

Had a can of green beans last night with a little earth balance mixed in. Didn't feel like cooking.

Burritos made with quinoa, black beans, bell pepper, onion, pineapple, cilantro, and avocado (with lots of smoked paprika and some cayenne for a kick)

Reactions: Nekodaiden
A bowl of rice, black beans, tomatoes, red peppers, and cucumbers with a lemon dressing. Then, two strawberry popsicles.

I had leftovers, and they were every bit as delicious as yesterday. I think next time that mix goes into a burrito.

Had a melody of black beans, corn, little bit of leftover tomatoes and diced chills on top of riced cauliflower. Also a side of mexican corn (mayo, paprika, vegan parm, earth balance and cayenne). Had some tortilla chips with melted daiya pepper jack later.

Found some tofu in my freezer so I'm making stir fry with a bag of stir fry veggies, the tofu and some jasmine rice. Making my own sauce of liquid aminos, tahini, garlic powder, onion powder, chives, red pepper flakes, fresh ginger and agave.

I made breakfast pancakes for dinner :D Full grain wheat flour + almond milk + sugar + vanilla sugar + cacao + cinnamon + baking powder.

Dinner I made rice and great northern beans, with some curry for a change. I topped it with my leftover mango salsa. That was yummy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.