What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Christmas dinner was pretty much de rigeur for a Starchivore. The later in the day it became the lazier I became and so we pared down our dinner to things we wanted the most - gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing and the very simple Gardein turkey rolls. All was made from scratch (other than the Gardein) and it was delicious and we ate until we almost burst. I swear that slathering mushroom/onion gravy and cranberry sauce over food items is the best thing in the world. So so happy that there is leftover stuffing, gravy and sauce so maybe tonight we will have open faced hot hamburgers with gravy and horseradish.... mmmmm.

Hope everyone else had a great meal also!

Emma JC

Yup, we did it last night, for dinner. A bean burger on half a bun, leftover potato/stuffing, slathered with mushroom/onion gravy, some cranberry sauce and steamed broccoli and brussel sprouts.

Dessert was Sweets From the Earth chocolate chip cookies that I received as a Christmas gift.

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I tried the Annie's Vegan Mac that comes in a box like the old Kraft dinner because the co op had it for two dollars a box. Since instant mashed potatoes were good with canned full fat coconut milk I figured it would do well with the powdered vegan cheez...It was good! I will buy it again!

I also had some steamed broccoli with the mac n cheez.

After eating lots of starchy foods over Christmas, last night we decided to have a simpler meal of sliced cucumber, mushrooms, bell peppers, celery, cherry tomatoes with hummus and small unadorned bread pizza sliced in dippable fingers. It was a nice change and filling.

Emma JC

Reactions: hopeful
I went for the Annie's Vegan Mac again but this time I added sauteed onions and mushrooms and used soy milk instead of full fat coconut milk. I still had steamed broccoli.

My vote is for the full fat coconut milk. It makes it taste much better. Also the onion was weird, though the mushrooms and broccoli were good.

I got these half price on sale, four boxes, and I think unless you use the full fat coconut milk it's not worth the full price. 3.99 for dry boxed macaroni is insanity.

3.99 for dry boxed macaroni is insanity.

That is insanity - have you ever tried Scoobi Doo pasta? also known as cavatappi. It is the pasta we use when we want to have "mac and cheese" and for the sauce I use the simple onion/potato/garlic/nutritional yeast/red pepper mix and there are a ton of recipes out there for it. Some add hot sauce or hot peppers, some add miso and lemon juice, cashews and so on... There isn't any milk at all in most recipes as the potato adds the creaminess and thickness. So so good and healthy too and relatively cheap. A bag of Scoobi Doo lasts for ever as they swell up so much.

Last night we made mexican rice, some wraps with Gardein fish, a kind of tartar sauce made from hemp seeds, some roasted onions/hot peppers and a bit of fake cheese. Yummy and very filling.

I am still not sure what we are having tonight, I am thinking of keeping it simple but tasty. Likely a big big pot of bean soup with tomatoes and every veggie I can find added in, including kale and/or spinach.

Happy New Year to all!

Emma JC

That is insanity - have you ever tried Scoobi Doo pasta? also known as cavatappi. It is the pasta we use when we want to have "mac and cheese" and for the sauce I use the simple onion/potato/garlic/nutritional yeast/red pepper mix and there are a ton of recipes out there for it. Some add hot sauce or hot peppers, some add miso and lemon juice, cashews and so on... There isn't any milk at all in most recipes as the potato adds the creaminess and thickness. So so good and healthy too and relatively cheap. A bag of Scoobi Doo lasts for ever as they swell up so much.

Last night we made mexican rice, some wraps with Gardein fish, a kind of tartar sauce made from hemp seeds, some roasted onions/hot peppers and a bit of fake cheese. Yummy and very filling.

I am still not sure what we are having tonight, I am thinking of keeping it simple but tasty. Likely a big big pot of bean soup with tomatoes and every veggie I can find added in, including kale and/or spinach.

Happy New Year to all!

Emma JC

Thanks yeah, I only bought a few boxes because they were half price at the co op. I like Wacky Mac which is cheap veggie pasta or just plain Barilla, and I get two cups of dry macaroni as one of my options when school is in session (they have dry beans, rice, macaroni, lentils and give us a two cup limit total per week). I make a cheez sauce from flour, oil, soy milk and nutritional yeast and my one roommate who is vegan has made the potatoes and carrots one before.

Happy New Year!

I just finished preparing (and I will eat it in about an hour and a half) brown rice with delectable coconut peanut sauce from this website's recipe section. It has become one of my favorite things to eat. I may add some broccoli, too.

Yup, last night I made a huge pot of veggie, bean, tomato soup and it was amazing (if I say so myself), towards the end I added 3 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with a heaping tablespoon of barley miso and it just seems to add that extra flavourful kick. We also had some bread for dipping and I threw some gingerbread in the oven just before the soup was ready and so had that for dessert. The finale of the evening was a chip dip made from firm silken Tofu and an onion soup mix and chips, of course. It was a great dip and the first time I've made it, too salty because of the 'mix', next time I will just put in my own spices.

Happy New Year to all!

Emma JC

Reactions: betiPT
Leftovers again. More lemon pepper Brown basmati with tofu and lentils, steamed from frozen and added some Cos lettuce, tomato, broccoli and medium salsa sauce.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
I finally got the chance to make pasteles. It was very time consuming to make but so worth it in the end. We used to go to Puerto Rican restaurants and get these all the time but they are very unhealthy normally. I was so excited to find a vegan recipe online for them. They are now going to be a holiday tradition.

@betiPT
Nice! You know I had planned on strarting to take pictures of my meals. but I never seem to remember. Also they rarely are that pretty. but you have re-inspired me. I will try to do better.

Meanwhile, I go to a 7-11 to pick up my Amazon deliveries at the Amazon Locker. Its a few miles a way and I don't like to drive that far to pick up a package and not run some other errands. And if there are no errands to run in that direction I can at least eat out somewhere that is not in my immediate vicinity.

Even before I was vegan I had a soft spot for Vietnamese food and now its even more desirable because they have so many good dishes. And it turns out there is a really good Vietnamese restaurant across from the Amazon Locker. So I ended up having an early dinner there. This time I had their vegetarian Pho. and it was great. Shoot. I should have taken a picture.

Reactions: betiPT
Status
Not open for further replies.