What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been experimenting with different vegan cheese sauces, I used to fall back on a very simple one - in fact, I fed the very simple one well spiced over pasta on a backpacking trip to two meat eaters and they enjoyed it - that was based in a flour and oil roux, soy milk, nutritional yeast, and salt (with any variety of spices added, to taste or type of dish).

I tried a potato/carrot one my roommate made last semester, so decided to make my own by putting together different vegan recipes on the internet. My favorite is four small potatoes peeled, two carrots peeled, both boiled. Then blend well with 1/2 cup boiled veggie water, 1/2 cup well-soaked cashew pieces, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, a spoonful of lemon juice, and a generous splash of both roasted tahini and oil. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt.

It's great over cooked broccoli with cracker crumbs, like a simple casserole.

Last night I mixed it with marinara sauce on my pasta and it was excellent!

I'm thinking about trying to make "broccoli cheese" soup with it, maybe adding a cup or so of plain almond or soy milk, and blending cooked broccoli in it. I dunno.

Reactions: Emma JC
I had lentil vegetable stew with vegan Italian sausage and 8 different kinds of vegetables.
It was really good.
I already packed up the leftovers. but maybe tomorrow I can take a picture

I had some pasta with broccoli and marinara, a few roasted chestnuts, and several spoonfuls of potato-cheese sauce.

I was cooking for close to a couple of hours after school, so I'll have meals for later in the week. Besides warming the pasta and roasting some chestnuts in the oven, I made a HUGE batch of the complicated potato-carrot vegan cashew cheese, have tofu marinating in a ginger sauce in the fridge for tomorrow, sliced tempeh for an easy grab later, and made some jasmine rice in the cooker. It doesn't seem like so much now that I type it out, but it felt like a lot while I was commandeering the kitchen.

Reactions: Emma JC and hopeful
I made a curry lentil stew kind of thing. I put together water, full fat coconut milk, tumeric, coriander, sweet basil, garlic, onion, chopped fresh ginger, potatoes, carrots, lentils, mashed baked delicata squash, collard greens, tofu, black pepper, black lava salt, and Asian chili oil.

A HUGE pot. I had dinner tonight, have multiple meals for lunches or dinners during the week with or without rice, and can share with roommates.

I'm super excited because one of my roommates (not even the vegan one, the flexitarian guy) had his mom send us this humongous care package of dried herbs and spices, dried vegetables, beans, lentils, oats, and quinoa. Some are dehydrated from her own garden. We can cook for months now lol.

Reactions: Emma JC and hopeful
last nights dinner was brown basmati rice with tofu and wombok cabbage, flavored with teriyaki sauce and salt.

Basmati brown rice again, this time with an Italian spiced tomato based sauce, with a hint of sriracha, plus peanuts, cashews and some cabbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night was one of our favourite simple "5 minutes to make" meals.

Baked bean dip/casserole. A can of baked beans mixed with chopped onion, peppers, zucchini, salsa, olives and put in the oven at 350 until it starts to bubble. Eat with tortilla chips or pita bread. We also put a bit of shredded cheez on top after it was in our bowls, if you put it on while in the oven it just disappears into the beans.

Emma JC

Dinner was more homemade whole wheat wraps, filled with tater tots and a little less of the lunch patties, with salsa, and more Cos lettuce and salt. I had a small pineapple for desert..

...and late night homebrew with chickpea nuts quite a few hours afterword.

Reactions: Emma JC
Tried out the Gardein Turkey Cutlets last night. Nothing to write home about and I doubt I will buy them again. They don't compare to the turkey rolls and the amount of gravy you get is about half. Had lots of potatoes and sweet potatoes, with it, and some steamed carrots and broccoli.

Emma JC

Tonight I'll probably reheat some of the tofu lentil curry I made the other day...

But last night in honor of Chinese New Year, I made a noodle dish with plain forbidden rice black ramen, lots of broccoli, lots of tahini dressing, gomasio, and a few pieces of tempeh pan fried in oil, tamari and maple syrup. I ate this with chopsticks, it was more fun than leftovers but simple to make with stuff I had already.

I eat pretty much the same things all over again.
But now that Forest Nymph is talking about broccoli, I want that.

I ate mashed potatoes, with a boiled carrot and thai tofu. I'll eat the same thing tomorrow, and Sunday is a Noodleday, yay. :)
All Hail dem Noodles, with frozen vegetables, TVP and sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Forest Nymph
I had tuscan bread soup made with cannelloni beans, red pesto and vegan cream cheese!!! Lush! Tomorrow I'm thinking of having bbq black beans, seem to spend my life thinking about what i can make with beans lol

Bought some portobello mushrooms a week or so ago and last night decided to cut them in strips and fry/saute (no oil) them in a frying pan with some bbq sauce, pepper and garlic powder. They were delicious so we also sauted onions and bell peppers and put all of it in wraps with some leftover rice, a bit of vegan shredded cheese and topped these, now, burritos with salsa, greens, olives and a bit more shredded cheese.

It was a nice change from bean burritos, although I missed the taste of the beans. As we had made Instant Pot Pea Soup for lunch we really didn't want more legumes. The Pea Soup had green beans, celery, carrots and onions it and so a nice healthy day all around.

Emma JC

I made another simple salad like I had for breakfast (big pile 'o lettuce, lime juice, salt, Tapatio and roommates vegan ranch mixed together) except also added some rinsed chickpeas and plain extra firm tofu chunks for dinner.

I also made a baked potato and ate it with homemade tahini dressing, and drank more soy milk.

Homemade hash brown sandwiches on whole wheat with pickle, cos lettuce, ketchup and salt. I bought a junky dairy free ice cream earlier this week (basically coconut fat, sugar, cocoa and binders) and I think I'll probably finish it off in a little while as well.

Last night we made chili and it was spicy and rich and delicious. Ate it with tortilla chips.

Emma JC

Status
Not open for further replies.