What food do you take on a camping trip?

cocolgooh

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
I love to go camping and found it harder to find foods that were suitable to take camping at first but now I don't have such an issue with this. I like to take wraps with a lot of different vegetables already cooked so that I can just assemble the wrap whenever I feel hungry. I also take some fruit and fruit and nut type bars with me so that I'm able to snack on something that doesn't require a any preparation.

If I fancy something hot I'll usually grill some vegetables on a portable grill I've had for years. It's lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of space when I'm camping so this is a nice bonus.

What foods do you take with you when you're camping? I'd love some new ideas for the next time I go

Potatoes are always good, both white and sweet ones. Having them baked is great and you can add anything to them like a relish or salad. I also take noodles as they are easy to cook and sometimes they are nice in a mug of soup in the evening.

Sometimes I take some packs of instant rice too for a change as they are easy to make up and you can add your own vegetables to it. It takes up less room and if you don't use it then you can take it home, but is handy as an emergency dish.

I'd never thought to take packs of rice! That's a great idea! Thanks!

I think potatoes would be good too although personally I'm just not a fan of baked potatoes. They'll be great to take for others though so I'll definitely consider that too! Thanks again for your suggestions.

I love potatoes in all ways, have a large collection of recipes to take potatoes with me all the time and never feel tired of them, from snaking to potato bread, I have always a different option to pack.

Of course, depending on the recipe or preparation, I can add a variety of vegetables, grains, fruits, etc.

For me it's mainly beans, rice, fruit and veggies. Baked potatoes are a big one for me too (same as you, @Alexia !). For fruit I usually bring bananas or apples - I find they hold up the best in a backpack! Yes, not the fanciest of menus - that's true - but it keeps me sustained and doesn't really go bad (provided I use the fruit and veggies quickly!)

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I always take plenty of fruit with me. They're sweet, healthy and easy to eat when you're on the move. I also like to pack rice, as it's easy to eat. I always have a few sandwiches with me, just in case.
And, like everyone else, potatoes! Baked potatoes are so convenient and so good to eat!

We've been camping for years. One of our favorite meals was Hobo Dinners. Veggies and meat in foil cooked on the campfire coals. Now that we are vegans we'll drop the meat. Sliced potatoes with carrots, broccoli, onions, and whatever vegan sounds good to you will work. About 15 minutes then flip for another 15 minutes works well. We do spray the heavy duty foil with Pam to keep the veggies from sticking to foil. If you have an alternative to Pam please let me know.

Backpacking alone: nut butter, pre-packaged fancy pants REI vegan meals, Primal Vegan Jerky, trail mix or some kind of seeds and dried fruit, Uncle Ben's minute rice, beans in a pouch, pouches or boxes of oatmeal, avocados, tea bags or instant coffee in a ziploc bag, fresh fruit

Car camping with a group: Daiya boxed mac n cheez for dinner, Vegan Eggs w/ vegan cheese and fresh veggies for breakfast, canned vegetarian chili, Dandy's vegan marshmallows and/or a pack of Smart Dogs for the camp fire, cut veggies wrapped in foil, spray oil, sandwich sliced Tofurky with a loaf of vegan bread and various toppings for "build your own sandwich" lunches, dried fruit, granola, etc for snacks.

Always: Clif or Luna bars, things like snap peas or tofu sticks or vegan chips (you call them crisps lol)