What is your exercise regime?

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Keen to hear what you all do for exercise during the week :)

My regime:
  • Instruct 2x fitness classes per week (Aqua and Pilates), great extrinsic motivator
  • PT 1-3 x per week
  • Resistance and Flexibility Training 2-3 x per week
  • Aim to get 10K steps in per day
  • Do activities with the kids wherever possible :sun:
  • Lots of house work :pensive:
  • Scheduled rest periods ;)

I do push ups once a day for about 2 minutes. I do about 15 or 20. I've noticed that I can do 10 push ups, then do other stretches for some seconds, then back to another 10 pushups.

I used to do a run/cycle/walk on the weekend. Now I've started a Taekwondo class 1-2 times per week I don't do the run/cycling as often.

I do cycle or run to the Taekwondo class though. 2.7 miles each way.

There is a 12k race in the local town I do once a year.

I cycle for anything within a few miles of the house so there are extra bits of cycling from time to time.

I read that a good fitness regime is a mixture of muscle, aerobic and flex/stretch - I think that seems reasonable.

I change it up all the time. but right now i have been going to the gym three times in a row and then taking the fourth day off. The 1st and 3rd day I get on the treadmill and run for 30 minutes. And the middle day I do 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by a light strength training routine. I have been doing this for 2 months. Next month I will change it up again. I like to change every 12 - 16 weeks just for variety. And I read somewhere that change is also good physiologically.

During the non-winter months, I run on the treadmill a lot less. Walk or run outside a lot more.

Also as long as it's not raining I walk to places as much as possible, to the library, grocery store, coffee shop, farmer's market. I don't like to just walk without a destination. Although i will go for a jog just around the neighborhood. Just checked my RunKeeper and last year I walked 315 times for 572 miles. That's almost a 2-mile average.

I do push ups once a day for about 2 minutes. I do about 15 or 20. I've noticed that I can do 10 push ups, then do other stretches for some seconds, then back to another 10 pushups.

I used to do a run/cycle/walk on the weekend. Now I've started a Taekwondo class 1-2 times per week I don't do the run/cycling as often.

I do cycle or run to the Taekwondo class though. 2.7 miles each way.

There is a 12k race in the local town I do once a year.

I cycle for anything within a few miles of the house so there are extra bits of cycling from time to time.

I read that a good fitness regime is a mixture of muscle, aerobic and flex/stretch - I think that seems reasonable.

Nice! Yes, agree about including cardio, resistance and flexibility training in regime.

How are you finding Taekwondo?

I change it up all the time. but right now i have been going to the gym three times in a row and then taking the fourth day off. The 1st and 3rd day I get on the treadmill and run for 30 minutes. And the middle day I do 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by a light strength training routine. I have been doing this for 2 months. Next month I will change it up again. I like to change every 12 - 16 weeks just for variety. And I read somewhere that change is also good physiologically.

During the non-winter months, I run on the treadmill a lot less. Walk or run outside a lot more.

Also as long as it's not raining I walk to places as much as possible, to the library, grocery store, coffee shop, farmer's market. I don't like to just walk without a destination. Although i will go for a jog just around the neighborhood. Just checked my RunKeeper and last year I walked 315 times for 572 miles. That's almost a 2-mile average.

Hey @Lou,

Brilliant re scheduled gym rest days. Spot on with changing program periodically, absolute necessity as we adapt to the activity and it doesn’t become as challenging anymore.

Nice to see what people are doing for exercise :)

I walk almost everywhere, I always walk to school and our campus is large and hilly. I go through the woods and down the street and up a hill to get to my first class every morning school is in session.

Sometimes I walk the two plus miles one way to work, it's a lovely walk through the old rural logging area of my town, but even when I take the bus, the round trip is still a mile at least of walking.

I usually grocery shop and carry my bags up and down the hills in town, that is my weight lifting. ;)

When I have time and money I take yoga. In Los Angeles I took yoga between three and six days a week and I was super in shape then but I was also an independent contractor with more money and no college to think about then.

I go hiking, and even backpacking and camping occasionally.

I have tried gyms and I don't like them. I only like swimming pools and yoga classes. I prefer being outdoors.

I used to jog for a couple of years, but I hated it. I only did it because I thought it would make me look better at the time. I'm a fast walker but running is terrible.

If for some reason I couldn't walk and hike as much I'd probably dedicate myself to swimming and yoga.

My routine changes as time goes by, but right now I'm doing cardio kickboxing workout most days, and core workout the other days. When I fail to do any exercise, I just walk around and then also do some streching.
I love walking in the woods and dancing, but I don't consider that as an exercise.
Me and my brother have made plans, that we could start going to the gym together, I look forward to that.

Reactions: betiPT
I love walking in the woods and dancing, but I don't consider that as an exercise.

Are you dancing in the woods? Or is walking and dancing two separate activities. Just curious. And what kind of dancing? Judging by your musical tastes I and imagine you dancing in the woods. probably in the moonlight. :)

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Are you dancing in the woods? Or is walking and dancing two separate activities. Just curious. And what kind of dancing? Judging by your musical tastes I and imagine you dancing in the woods. probably in the moonlight. :)

I have learned oriental dance, which is also called belly dance. Then I combine what I have learned with that which comes naturally. I'd like to dance all the time, but because I don't want people to think that I have lost my mind completely, I usually just dance at home.
But dancing in the woods would be very nice. Thank you, I might try that out when summer arrives. :)

I thought I could share this video. It's amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also put a video up for you.
I put it in the "what are you listening now to" thread.

I might try that yoga exercise. I stretch 5 or 6 times a week and I do what is called dynamic stretching for the neck and shoulders (and arms, and hips). But this yoga thing makes sense. I do a lot of static stretching for the lower body. But none for the upper body. Probably need to be more balances.

Also, I forwarded this to my sister who has really bad neck pain. And she has tried just about everything.

Benjie is not helping much out in this video. He is very handsome, so maybe his main purpose is eye candy.

But just the other day I saw this girl doing planks with her dogs. They are way more helpful.

https://imgur.com/52lLQYG

I'm a cyclist and ride my bike pretty much daily year round. Most of my friends are cyclists and we've got regular weekly rides.

April-October we do Tuesday night mountain biking and Wednesday night road rides. The mountain biking is 8mi of singletrack and I'll normally ride out to the trails, adding another 17mi of pavement round trip. The road ride is a hilly 30mi at high intensity.

November-March is gravel season. We usually ride Thursday nights but we'll shift that around if rain or high wind is in the forecast. We have a handful of 15-35mi routes depending on who shows up and how ambitious we're feeling.

We've been doing Taco Tuesday rides this winter but I'd hardly call that an exercise regime. 4mi of paved bike path to a Mexican restaurant for beer and food, 4mi back to a bar near our starting point, then more drinking in the bike shop parking lot doing stupid stuff on our bikes. I'm doing a 50mi gravel ride tomorrow before the taco ride.

I don't get any non-cycling exercise though...I want to start swimming again, and I think stretching is one of the best things you can do for your body but I have really bad self discipline about it.

Reactions: hopeful and betiPT
I also put a video up for you.
I put it in the "what are you listening now to" thread.

I might try that yoga exercise. I stretch 5 or 6 times a week and I do what is called dynamic stretching for the neck and shoulders (and arms, and hips). But this yoga thing makes sense. I do a lot of static stretching for the lower body. But none for the upper body. Probably need to be more balances.

Also, I forwarded this to my sister who has really bad neck pain. And she has tried just about everything.

Benjie is not helping much out in this video. He is very handsome, so maybe his main purpose is eye candy.

But just the other day I saw this girl doing planks with her dogs. They are way more helpful.

https://imgur.com/52lLQYG
If you mean the video, where the woman is dancing in the woods, I saw it. I found the video very beautiful, and actually subscribed the channel. Thank you very much, Lou. :)
Upper body is easy to forget when stretching, you aren't the only one. But, it sounds to me like you are stretching pretty well, though.
I hope that your sister gets better.

Those dogs are really something. If that's everyday, I wonder how the woman gets anything done.

Oh, and since you mentioned my music taste earlier... Metal and bellydancing can go well hand in hand. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou and betiPT
I suppose, she uses her willpower of steel. Assumingly, most humans would get distracted by the cuteness, and start petting the dogs.

I imagine the dog vs girl wrestling occurs after the video. But, yeah. if this happens every day she probably had developed her willpower along with her core.

I sent this to my sister, and she says she can endure 25 crunches with a dog licking her face.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I imagine the dog vs girl wrestling occurs after the video. But, yeah. if this happens every day she probably had developed her willpower along with her core.

I sent this to my sister, and she says she can endure 25 crunches with a dog licking her face.

That, what you think, must be correct.
Your sisters' achievements are truly respectable, when taken into consideration the unbearable level of cuteness that usually emits from the presence of dogs.

I take walks nearly every day. Sometimes long, sometimes a bit shorter.

I occasionally lift weights and do pushups, but this isn't routine. It was in the past for a while, but I haven't kept up with it.

Nice! Yes, agree about including cardio, resistance and flexibility training in regime.

How are you finding Taekwondo?

I enjoy the exercise and self defence aspects of it.

There are some downsides to it. It's in theory an adult class but a lot of the other students are between about 15 and 20 years old (I'm 38) so there's not much chance of a social drink after class or getting to know people.

I am not keen on the discipline aspects of and random chanting in Korean. I suppose I am getting used to it though.

Overall, I am pretty positive about it.

Cycle every day to work. approx 20miles per week long run once a week. 8 miles. 1 Indoor bike session on Zwift. Long bike ride at the weekend. 40-50 miles. I can only do this cuz I am vegan .. lol

Reactions: Sax and betiPT