What's your favourite vegetable?

Okra.

Seriously though, I can't pick just one. I only think of okra because I was born in the American South and its prepared very rarely outside of there if not by Southerners or Africans.

Reactions: Veganite
I can't pick just one

Then pick more then one.
Another favourite of mine is mushrooms.
But I'll have to try Okra. One of the reason for posting this thread is that I want to try and widen the number of vegitables I eat. Although I've been vegan for over 14 years I eat mainly pre made food.

Reactions: Forest Nymph

One of my favs too, now. We used to get okra when I was a kid. I'm not sure why or where my mom got it, as it was not a popular veggie up here in Canada. I really can't say I have fond memories of okra back then either. I recalled it being really slimy and gross. As an adult though, and after learning how to cook okra properly, I love it now. I have had it southern style, battered and fried before, which is delicious, but I usually roast mine now with a pinch of curry or cumin. It comes out crispy and delicious.

Then pick more then one.
But I'll have to try Okra. One of the reason for posting this thread is that I want to try and widen the number of vegitables I eat. Although I've been vegan for over 14 years I eat mainly pre made food.

Oh wow. I live for vegetables. I feel yucky when I can't get any or many.

Tomatoes, potatoes, peas, onions, romaine lettuce, olives, spinach, eggplant and peppers of all kinds. Stuffed grape leaves (veg or fruit?), beets, Lebanese pickled turnips and corn on the cob.

One of my favs too, now. We used to get okra when I was a kid. I'm not sure why or where my mom got it, as it was not a popular veggie up here in Canada. I really can't say I have fond memories of okra back then either. I recalled it being really slimy and gross. As an adult though, and after learning how to cook okra properly, I love it now. I have had it southern style, battered and fried before, which is delicious, but I usually roast mine now with a pinch of curry or cumin. It comes out crispy and delicious.

Ha! I had no clue it was available in Canada! Are you French Canadian?

I love Southern style okra but now I eat it any way I can get it. I sometimes get cheap frozen okra and eat it mixed with other veggies like Lima beans and corn or tomatoes.

I never see it served anywhere in California restaurants except for one vegan soul food place in L.A.

@Forest Nymph

I am of French roots, oui. As I said, I have no idea where my mom used to get it when I was a kid. Here on the west coast it's available fresh in grocery stores, for most of the year. It's not super cheap, but not over the top expensive either. I consider okra a tasty treat, myself. Roasting them takes them to a very snack worthy level ;)

We get a lot of different veggies here on the west coast for some reason. I grew up on the east coast, where we didn't have near the variety we get here. Our local Chinatown is one of my favorite places to shop for veggies. They have such amazing variety, and great prices.

in order of preference:

garlic
onions / green onions or grunions as we call them
celery
tomatoes
potatoes and sweet potatoes
avocado
chili or jalapeno or sweet peppers
brussels sprouts
cauliflower
broccoli
spinach
carrots
parsnip
squash
red leaf lettuce
corn
peas

mushrooms

Emma JC

Then pick more then one.
sad to say but mushrooms are not vegetables they are fungi

A new one l just tried this year and must say it is now at the very top of my list is Japanese Kaboucha Squash. It is a meal in itself and you can even eat the skin. Check out some of the recipes on Youtube and try to locate it! I have even started growing it in my garden it is so good!

Yeah, can't pick just one. Like the fruit thread, often what I like most is what's currently in season since it tastes best at that time.

I'm growing some tomatoes and I can tell you nothing beats home-grown tomato flavor. Can't wait until it's harvest time for those (probably not for at least another month, month-and-a-half.)

I'm not going to split hairs on botanical technicalities, because with that argument, most things we consider "vegetables" are technically fruits.

Here's my list of loves in addition to the aforementioned tomatoes:

Eggplant (growing some of these, too!)
Butternut squash
Asparagus
Sweet potatoes
Arugula
Spinach
Kale
Carrots
Herbs (esp. cilantro, basil)
Sweet peppers
Avocado

Reactions: Grayveggie
Right now I’m hooked on baby carrots ! But I love mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, and red beets too.

Reactions: Emma JC