Advertisement

When does human life start?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by veganDreama, Sep 24, 2018.

?

When does human life start?

1. At conception.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. At birth.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhere between conception and birth.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. veganDreama

veganDreama Active Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 2 / -2
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I was wondering about this. I'm pro life except I don't think human life starts at conception. More likely it starts when the babies heart starts beating or when the baby's brain is developed which happens quite early on. I've read some accounts saying foetuses feel pain at about 8 weeks and some who claim foetus's don't feel pain until 27 weeks . I don't think that's true and even if it were their are abortions that happen after 27 weeks and that is very bad. I feel more strongly about late term abortion.

However I'm all for contraception, sex education, and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender rights which some pro life groups are against so I can't support them without compromising other issues such as gay rights which I also feel strongly about.

I want to find a secular pro life group that isn't against gay people and wouldn't prevent a rape victim from getting Emergency contraception because it's 'abortified'. I've read that the morning after pill only stops the embryo from being able to get implanted in the womb. So does nothing if implation has already occurred. I've not read anything that convinces me that embryo's feel anything or the human soul enters at that point.

What do other people think?

What do other people think?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Forest Nymph
    Alone

Forest Nymph Active Member

Ratings:
    +467 / 1 / -12
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I think that human life starts sometime between conception and birth, but I believe it begins early on, from what I've studied. The same scientists who tell you that late term abortion is just fine are likely the same scientists who will argue it's fine to eat pigs. Scientists are people too, and with issues like this, their personal morality (or lack thereof) will factor into their assumptions about consciousness, just as a geologist can potentially become a climatologist or an oil company employee.

Peter Singer argues that killing sentient animals is crueler than killing a new born, but all I have to do is think of a newborn kitten to see the flaws in what he's saying...though I get what he wants to argue for is the actual, conscious experience of suffering that older children or more mature non-human animals have. If you build your entire argument for veganism on degree of consciousness, well, I guess that could work, and while I respect Singer deeply for other reasons, I think this particular axis of focus is faulty .Like building a card-house of logic on a bad foundation.

For me, respect for life has to apply to the weakest and the smallest, that's why I think on an inherent level that any meat consumption is far more vile than lacto-ovo vegetarianism. We can talk all day about the wrongs of the dairy industry, but I trust more in the conscience and intelligence of a person who instinctively refrains from killing directly, from actual flesh and blood, there's something very creepily objectifying about meat that doesn't exist in someone thinking cheese comes from happy cows.

SO....I apply this sort of thinking into my morality about abortion. I personally would not have an abortion, but I believe STRONGLY in contraception and adoption and planned parenting and choosing childfree as well. As for other people I can't tell them what to do, but anything after a first trimester abortion seems a bit sick to me.

• Like Like x 1