When youve accidentally eaten meat...

Lottie5095

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi. At a friends house yesterday she fed me a gluten free wheet free burger but insisted it was vegan. She had all the best intentions but as i bit into it i could tell something wasny quite right but she had already thrown the packaging. i trusted her as i knew she wouldn't have done it on purpose. but today i woke ip feeling bloated and sick so asked for more info about what she had bought only to find out it contained beef. i instantly started shaking ans ended ip throwing up :( i feel absolutely awful both physically and mentally. I also feel really stupid for not realising. Any advice ?

Hey Lottie,

Sounds like she didn't do it on purpose, I felt the same when I unknowingly ate duck in a spring roll that was supposed to be "vegetarian" a lot of foods are labelled vegetarian but are actually vegan too. Totally understand how you feel but all you can do is move on, we all accidentally consume something that's deprived from an animal every now and again but as long as you acknowledge it was wrong to do so there's nothing to get upset about.

It happens. There's nothing for you to feel guilty about, especially as it wasn't even a conscious choice you made. You trusted your friend who sounded like they were operating with best intentions and a mistake was made. Give yourself and your friend a break - and now both of you learned something from the experience.

Veganism isn't about personal purity. Unless you're vegan for health or strict religious reasons, accidentally eating meat due to a legitimate moment of having it thrust on you, or having to eat bread with whey as an ingredient due to poverty, etc doesn't negate your veganism. It's not cocaine or alcohol. No one is testing for trace amounts of animal products in your blood. The entire idea is to prevent animal exploitation and animal cruelty, as well as doing the best thing for the earth/environment and humanity.

You don't get a divorce because you argued with your spouse, you don't stop going to church or mosque because you committed some venial sin, and veganism is like that. It's your new life. Enjoy.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou