Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do vegans in america eat honey and still call themselves vegan?

Discussion in 'General' started by VjohnV, Jun 3, 2018.

?

Is honey vegan to you?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VjohnV

VjohnV Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have met quite a few vegans in america, and ALL of them so far have said that they eat honey..
    Some also eat eggs from chickens they know are living good - this is still not vegan though..

Is there something i'm missing here about being vegan in america?

2. amberfunk

amberfunk Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 2 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I'm guessing those people think it's ok to eat honey. I personally don't. If I buy something and I didn't notice it had honey in it I'm still going to eat it because I try not to waste food. I never understood about eggs though. I think they're disgusting anyway.

3. Consistency
    No Mood

Consistency Active Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 4 / -3
    I spoke with a meat eater client the other day on a job and she asked me if I was a vegetarian that didn't eat eggs and dairy as if she didn't know the term veganism.

Are you sure they aren't confusing or using the vegan/vegetarian terms interchangeably?

4. veganDreama

veganDreama Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I suppose it's like 'vegetarians' who eat fish.

5. Nekodaiden

Nekodaiden Active Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    In such instances it's probably better to describe oneself as partially plant based or in the case of honey "vegan except for...". When I started out, I was still using honey now and again and so I basically described my eating habits as "Vegan except for the honey I eat". Eventually I realized I could do without it and dropped it, on 0 pressure from anyone.

Eggs, on the other hand. If someone is eating them (and/or animal milk), better to identify as lacto/ovo vegetarian. It's more honest.

Both are garbage "foods". Was reading up on dairy's history today in a peer reviewed study, ugh. So many diseases in the history of cow's milk. It's just a sick society that keeps pushing it on us as a "health food". Eggs, not much better. Saturated fat and cholesterol bombs.

6. Kellyr

Kellyr Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    "Vegetarian" in the strictest of terms means you don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. This is why I learned to identify myself as Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian before I transitioned Vegan because I ate eggs and dairy. (Honey didn't enter the equation.)

There's just a lot of people out there who are confused by the definitions of things. And it doesn't help much when the mainstream keeps confusing things like assuming fish isn't meat because of all the people who decide to go "meat-free" during lent still eat fish (and somehow magically fish flesh isn't considered meat?)

I can't tell you how many times when people found out I was vegetarian they'd say "you eat fish, right?". I'd politely tell them "No, fish is meat. You're thinking of a Pescetarian."

I can easily see how honey gets looked over, perhaps because vegetarians who don't eat any other animal products will eat honey.

Here's a fun bit of info from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

7. Ieei

Ieei Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan, Vegan Newbie
    Vvell at least upon eating honey you enter a connection vvith bee svvarms.
    Likely also from indirect consumption of honey (kinds of socialization vvith people eating honey, healing, enlightenment, money and akin).

I have to vvrite "I think" but its too dishonest. Unable to describe the rationale though, I am too ruined to become able to also.

One does connect directly to a microbial stream upon connecting vvith a consumption stream | and the activation of the microbiology vvould depend ..

8. Sho

Sho Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have met lots of vegans who eat things I know are not vegan. Like when they eat popcorn slathered in butter that isn’t vegan. I saw a vegan video that says it’s ok to eat bivalves. Honestly it’s not a grey area honey isn’t vegan eating bivalves isn’t vegan. I don’t know

9. Ieei

Ieei Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan, Vegan Newbie
    I magically had leather shoes after thinking I vvas completely vvithout leather.

Even bought a nevv pair there vvas leather on, entirely certain I looked at vvhether these vvere vegan and probably (very certainly) did ask about that. Ended up throvving them out, should probably have asked for money back there, forgot that at the time. Also about vvhere I vvould have gone, the little mistake to be corrected.