Advertisement
  1. Don't forget to participate in our Christmas competition! Click Here! for more information. :)
    Dismiss Notice

Work parties...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TofuRobot, Dec 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM.

1. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    How do you handle those? How do you handle those, not only as a vegan, but as a new-ish employee? Do you mention it ahead of time to the person who is coordinating the food, or do you keep quiet and hope for the best? What if you're 1 of about 250 and you doubt there is more than one other person who is vegan in the entire office (which I actually think is a miracle, itself, and I'm not entirely positive that person still works there, lol). I honestly don't think anyone there has any clue that I'm vegan. It just doesn't come up. ...Our dept. is a little different than the other departments - we're somewhat 'together in isolation,' so we don't tend to sit around chatting about stuff like food like it seems like other people do *a lot* of everywhere else.

?? The party is a week from tomorrow during lunch hour. I don't work normally on Fridays, but I was going to make the 35 min. drive anyway just because...

2. Lou
    Happy

Lou Active Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I had one bad experience as a brand new vegan when telling people. And then for a long time, I only mentioned it when I had to. But my feelings have completely turned around over the last 5 or 6 years. I wouldn't say I bring it up all the time, but I am not shy about bringing it up*. And it has been pretty much a positive feedback loop. Very often when I do bring it up I get some sort of positive feedback or curiosity. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I have had any negative experiences since that first one.

If there is someone who is in charge of food, you should at least ask them the question, "will there be any vegan food options?" But of course, there will be. it's 2018. There is always something. (unless the event is being held at a raw seafood bar).

Also, there is going to be other vegans and vegetarians there. Recent polling shows that vegans make up between 1 and 7 per cent of the population, depending on geography and age range. So statistically speaking there will be at least one other. and maybe more. Plus a few vegetarians.

At a party I went to last Christmas there was just finger food/apps. Very few vegan options. but there was hummus and there were veggies. There were about 100 people there and I met 2 other vegans over by the veggies and the hummus. I probably wouldn't have known they were vegan but they were a couple and I overheard them discussing the pros and cons of hummus compared to guacamole and salsa.

* Not only don't I shy away from bringing up my veganism any longer. I now believe that its important for us vegans to let people know we are vegan. As far as advocacy goes this might the easiest and most effective form.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have yet to have any good luck at work.

the usual outcomes are:

1. nothing gets ordered for me at all. maybe there's a veggi platter
    2. they try to order something for me but it still has cheese or egg in it because they dont understand

I always always always eat beforehand so im not hungry and if im lucky there is something for me to snack on at least so I dont look like an outsider

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:08 AM
  4. TofuRobot
    Cold

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I went to sleep having decided I'm over-thinking it and that I'm going to bring it up with our HR person. I'm just going to politely ask, and suggest there be a fresh fruit platter. TBH I don't need a lot of food and I'd be totally happy with that and it's super easy for anyone to do. (Also I got sucked into reading the comments on a blog post about this very topic and literally everyone was saying bring it up beforehand. I'll grab the link to that later and share it here )

Edit: Here's the link. Read the comments section:
    https://corporette.com/business-lunches-vegetarian/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM