Would you start a relationship with a non-vegan?

VjohnV

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Would you start a relationship with someone who is not vegan?
The person can either be a meat eater or vegetarian.

It's a fair question, but the word "relationship" could mean simply friendships.

Taking the question in context of romance: I personally would rather meet some hot vegan chef that will cook me gourmet vegan cuisine for the rest of my days, but that's more wishful thinking. I mean I can dream, can't I?

Furthermore, considering vegans only make up just over 3% of the North American population, wouldn't that drastically narrow your odds of a date?

I'll be friends with anyone but I prefer to avoid meat eaters in romantic relationships. I prefer vegetarian or vegan. I say vegetarian because it dramatically increases my odds of finding a partner. Some vegetarians eat very little animal products like drink soy milk but still eat cheese or something. Some vegetarians have never had meat because they were raised veg which is more than I can say.

I like a vegan guy in my class but I recently went out a couple times with a lifelong vegetarian. One of my best male friends has been vegetarian since he was 11 unfortunately I don't find him attractive in that way.

I would love to have a vegan partner but I'm not willing to be forever alone either.

At this point, I can safely say no, although a vegetarian who ate only dairy/eggs on occasion I might be interested in. Meat eaters, no. All my friends are meat eaters, but I share Forest Nymph's preference if I'm going to be in a close relationship with someone.

Leaving aside for a moment all the considerations of health and ethics, what kind of meals we share/don't share, how she views my choice...all important things to consider, there is one thing that meat eaters and heavy dairy users all share in common and if you're in a relationship with one you're going to be dealing with it every day...

The smell. When I was a non-vegan I was not aware of it. After becoming a vegan I realized that given close proximity to a meat eater, you can detect the rotting flesh coming out of their pores, or when they speak and you're close enough.

Not at all attractive to me.

Reactions: Deleted member 2819
I'll be friends with anyone but I prefer to avoid meat eaters in romantic relationships. I prefer vegetarian or vegan. I say vegetarian because it dramatically increases my odds of finding a partner. Some vegetarians eat very little animal products like drink soy milk but still eat cheese or something. Some vegetarians have never had meat because they were raised veg which is more than I can say.

I like a vegan guy in my class but I recently went out a couple times with a lifelong vegetarian. One of my best male friends has been vegetarian since he was 11 unfortunately I don't find him attractive in that way.

I would love to have a vegan partner but I'm not willing to be forever alone either.
You wouldn’t be alone! You’ve got the aminals!

At this point, I can safely say no, although a vegetarian who ate only dairy/eggs on occasion I might be interested in. Meat eaters, no. All my friends are meat eaters, but I share Forest Nymph's preference if I'm going to be in a close relationship with someone.

Leaving aside for a moment all the considerations of health and ethics, what kind of meals we share/don't share, how she views my choice...all important things to consider, there is one thing that meat eaters and heavy dairy users all share in common and if you're in a relationship with one you're going to be dealing with it every day...

The smell. When I was a non-vegan I was not aware of it. After becoming a vegan I realized that given close proximity to a meat eater, you can detect the rotting flesh coming out of their pores, or when they speak and you're close enough.

Not at all attractive to me.
My vegetarian friends breath smells so neutral and balanced. Her and her husband eat a lot of homemade kimchi.

I would, but we compromised - no meat in the house, but eggs/dairy allowed for her.

I dated an omnivore and he quickly became vegan and has been ever since ... going on 5 years.

wow, good answers.

I guess it really is a matter of perspective.
You could start dating someone who eats meat or is vegetarian in hopes that that person will come to understand your own point of view and even agree with it and turn vegan.
Though this could take a while, i know couples that have been together for quite a few years, decades even, and only one side is vegan and the other is not even vegetarian, and i know others that the non-vegan partner went vegan.
Its sort of an investment, you don`t know if its really going to work out, but you hope for the best i guess.
That way, also, veganism spreads and becomes more personal, living with a vegan and being in a relationship with one is very different from just hearing about it and listening to what people say about it, so it could have a better effect in terms of turning vegan.

But the other side of it isn't easy as well, being with someone, kissing that person knowing that dead animals went into that mouth.. for sure its not easy.
Especially if its someone you actually love. Watching them do things that are completely against your beliefs and ideals, and knowing that nothing you have done has changed it..

So, not an easy one, its interesting to hear peoples opinion on this though, its a question that i have asked quite a lot and always get mixed answers, as expected.