2014 Winter Olympics

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Because of Russia's anti LGBT laws, the upcoming Olympics will be more than just sports competition. It will be highly politicized. And possibly dangerous. Any LGBT athlete going to Russia to compete would be put in danger if they are open about their sexuality. Will the laws chill open discussions about homosexuality in the host country? What about those sent to Russia to cover the Olympics for the media? What about people who simply want to visit Russia to watch the Olympics?

NBC reassures gay employees about Sochi trip

The Olympics are just six months away. Should an effort be made to move the Olympics to another country?

Discuss.

What a horrible repressive law to pass in this millenium.

Supposedly, gay athletes and Olympic visitors will be safe, but I think a sick chill may go down their spines if they see a police officer.

"By Kirit Radia
Aug 2, 2013 12:41pm
In an abrupt about face, Russia said today that athletes and guests attending next year’s Winter Olympics will not be subject to the country’s stringent new anti-gay law.“The Olympic Games is a major international event. We need to be as polite and tolerant as possible. That is why a decision has been made not to raise this issue during the Olympics,” Igor Ananskikh, deputy chairman of the State Duma’s Physical Culture, Sport and Youth Policy Committee, told Interfax today.

“Russia plans to host large international competitions in the future. The atmosphere at them must be as safe and polite as possible,” he added.

His comments came just a day after Russia’s sports minister warned that athletes and spectators would be accountable under the law." http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...olympic-athletes-and-guests-to-anti-gay-laws/

What damned stupid hypocrisy. They'll leave athletes and spectators alone because they don't want the embarrassing negative publicity, but meanwhile in the rest of Russia, average gay Russians had better stay in the closet and keep their mouths shut or else. :argh:

They aren't going to move the Olympics at this late date. They'd have to cancel them. It's just not going to happen.

However, I think the international community should boycott Russia over this.

I thought it takes a lot of years of preparation for the Olympics. Russia has likely already spent a lot of money for this so I don't see it being moved. It should be a happy time for all of athletes and just about the athletes but this is rarely the case these days. Very unfortunate.

However, I think the international community should boycott Russia over this.
The United States is constantly starting wars. We have factory farms among other things. Why would they boycott Russia but not boycott other countries that have problems?

btw, I put this thread in the Lounge instead of the debate forum because once the Olympics have actually arrived, we can still use this thread to discuss the actual sports being presented and not just the issues surrounding the Olympics.

Not to mention the tacky opening and closing ceremonies. :p

The United States is constantly starting wars. We have factory farms among other things. Why would they boycott Russia but not boycott other countries that have problems?

For the same reason that many people eventually boycotted South Africa over apartheid.

Unfortunately the olympics are now less about sport and more about corporate sponsorship and exclusive merchandising rights, unless one of the big sponsors pulls out, nothing will be done, and knowing the ethics of some of those sponsors, Coca Cola, Dow, ATOS, P&G I can't see any of them pulling sponsorship or even making a bit of a fuss, they may say the games are about sport and that sport and politics shuold be kept seperate, but it's all about the monies really..... I could be wrong of course, but I doubt it

Sadly, missing gay rights is only one of the social problems in Russia right now.

Moving the whole thing isn't really viable, but I guess one could boycott it by not watching, and maybe telling other people about it as well.

Unfortunately the olympics are now less about sport and more about corporate sponsorship and exclusive merchandising rights, unless one of the big sponsors pulls out, nothing will be done, and knowing the ethics of some of those sponsors, Coca Cola, Dow, ATOS, P&G I can't see any of them pulling sponsorship or even making a bit of a fuss, they may say the games are about sport and that sport and politics shuold be kept seperate, but it's all about the monies really..... I could be wrong of course, but I doubt it

You are generally correct about corporate involvement and ethics on the part of some corporations, but for many athletes, it's also about the games. Many of them train for YEARS in order to compete, and not just for corporate sponsorships but also for the glory of the sport. I remember, when the US boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics to protest the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, there was an uproar from American athletes who lost their chance to compete that year and were concerned that they wouldn't have another chance. I don't think the US will be boycotting the 2014 Olympics, so if that's the case, then there will be many people competing in Sochi who will be put in harm's way simply because of medieval laws.

Sadly, missing gay rights is only one of the social problems in Russia right now.

Moving the whole thing isn't really viable, but I guess one could boycott it by not watching, and maybe telling other people about it as well.

Envy, I'm wondering: What kind of discussions are going on in Sweden wrt to the Olympics? Are any Swedish govt officials talking about a boycott? Is there any concern for any LGBT athletes from Sweden who might compete coming from the govt and/or the media?

Envy, I'm wondering: What kind of discussions are going on in Sweden wrt to the Olympics? Are any Swedish govt officials talking about a boycott? Is there any concern for any LGBT athletes from Sweden who might compete coming from the govt and/or the media?

It's obviously in the newspapers and so on, but I haven't seen anything indicating that boycotts will be made on that level.

I think that the one who are responsible for our sports consider the situation to be "workable" at the best, seeing as how they expect Russia to handle it professionally even with the laws. Remember, the only thing outlawed is openly propagating LBGT rights, so they probably want to make this years OS as quick and painless as possible.

You are generally correct about corporate involvement and ethics on the part of some corporations, but for many athletes, it's also about the games. Many of them train for YEARS in order to compete, and not just for corporate sponsorships but also for the glory of the sport. I remember, when the US boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics to protest the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, there was an uproar from American athletes who lost their chance to compete that year and were concerned that they wouldn't have another chance. I don't think the US will be boycotting the 2014 Olympics, so if that's the case, then there will be many people competing in Sochi who will be put in harm's way simply because of medieval laws.
My friend would have swum in the 1980 games, and then kept training and in 1984 contracted mononucelosis so couldn't compete then, either.

Envy, you have a good point. Maybe Putin began this stupid anti-gay campaign to distract the west from other human rights violations.

Did anyone watch the Olympics? The female figure skating usually gets a lot of attention from the media. It didn't seem to get much this year. I wish short track speed skating had been shown on earlier than it was, and less bobsled. I just can't get excited over that sport. Other than that I generally enjoyed the Olympics.

I find it hard to watch the prime-time coverage anymore. I don't care for the way the networks in the U.S. cover the Olympics. It's all bits and pieces, with too much fluff and commercials and not enough coverage of the actual events. I wanted to watch the hockey, but I don't have cable, and some of the games that were shown live were on cable. Plus, I was working during much of the live coverage. I couldn't be bothered watching hours later when I pretty much knew all of the results.