April Health Challenge (2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's impressive as I only manage to do 15 minutes when boredom kicks in. :rolleyes:
You're still my hero. You all are my heroes, as you DO go in for exercise. I don't exercise now, as my legs don't allow me. The less movements i'm doing - the less shriveled i'm going to be. But now, that i've learned how to run a little,- i'm going to do some attemps to run on May "vacations" and in summer.:innocent: My dream is to learn how to ride a bicycle again. But it's even not in my list yet. I have to remember that last April i could hardly crawl with my go-carts, and the only destination i could get to - is the local clinic across the road. But then, i started walking abruptly, when i realized that my cerebellar ataxia had decreased. Now i'm still watching dizziness when it occurs (if i'm very tired). But my goal is to learn how to run without being so awkward, because when you're running after a long break (a few years, actually),- it feels like you're flying in the air (unusual, scary and exciting).:ma:

I'm on my fourth day of taking the thyroid tablets. I have gone back to eating normally, not too bad, but I have allowed myself a few more treats like a bar of chocolate and a can of coke.

I haven't gained any weight and I'm feeling slightly less fatigued already. Seems like it is working.:)

You're still my hero. You all are my heroes, as you DO go in for exercise. I don't exercise now, as my legs don't allow me. The less movements i'm doing - the less shriveled i'm going to be. But now, that i've learned how to run a little,- i'm going to do some attemps to run on May "vacations" and in summer.:innocent: My dream is to learn how to ride a bicycle again. But it's even not in my list yet. I have to remember that last April i could hardly crawl with my go-carts, and the only destination i could get to - is the local clinic across the road. But then, i started walking abruptly, when i realized that my cerebellar ataxia had decreased. Now i'm still watching dizziness when it occurs (if i'm very tired). But my goal is to learn how to run without being so awkward, because when you're running after a long break (a few years, actually),- it feels like you're flying in the air (unusual, scary and exciting).:ma:

You shouldn't give yourself a hard time as you have health problems. You are doing really well.

Have you thought about trying swimming?

That's impressive as I only manage to do 15 minutes when boredom kicks in. :rolleyes:
Aww, thank you. I have to watch a video or something because I would get bored as well. :D I much prefer the treadmill, but I can't buy one yet. My parents gave me the bike when they moved. My mom got it ages ago to rehab her knee after a car accident.

Have you thought about trying swimming?
Yes, i have! And i swim a lot in summer. Swimming doesn't cause any problems. In Abkhazia, e.g., i was swimming with fins, and it turned out pretty fast and convenient. I even could swim as fast as some motorboats, especially if i used a technique, imitating monofins. And when i'm swimming - i feel not as shriveled as when i'm walking. All i'm upset about - is depending on painkillers.:sigh: If i could get rid of pain, i would immediately go for a hike to Geghama mountain plateau.:innocent:

Reactions: Chryssie
I feel like I'm back on track! All of March I just wanted junk foods and hibernation, now I've been healthy again and getting some exercise in the morning, and walking. Still so windy, it's still cold!
I have stayed under 160 lbs so that's good at least!

It still feels wintry/fall-like around here, so I've been doing the bike. I want to get outside again, though. Today, it's cloudy and gloomy. Blah.

Yes, the weather has been inconsistent at best. I can’t get into a routine just yet. I hope that changes soon. I think it will help reduce my stress level.

This week, our weather has turned from - "Wow, it's spring! Look at all the beautiful blooming trees and bushes" to "Oh for crap's sake, this pollen is KILLING ME!!!"

A few years ago, I read that central Virginia is indeed the pollen capital of the US because we are home to both southern and northern varieties of pollen producing plants, grasses and trees. Aren't we lucky? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We don't have buds yet, just things like sprouting hostas now. If the wind would go away it would feel the 50's-60's we've had, but it's still cold because of it!
They're saying the pollen is going to be worse this year.

I've been doing ok with eating, though I did stop at a store and buy plantain chips. I so crave salty crispy things after work! And no celery won't cut it, though I have been eating raw veg and hummus a lot lately. Not today though, finished half the bag
Need to start yoga again. Work is so stressful lately!

Did a walk/jog outside last night for 4 km.

Did 9 km today on the treadmill. The treadmill is easier because it's flat.... my neighborhood has so many hills. I was able to do more jogging than walking this time.

Oh, and I got a fitness belt (Flip Belt) today for holding my stuff when I run. I was so happy to find it in the store! My plan was to buy it through Amazon if I couldn't find anything better in town. it holds my big heavy phone without bouncing around or feeling uncomfortable.

Now I need to get some sport headphones. The ones I have keep falling out of my ears.

I started sneezing today, the test came back that I am allergic to grass pollen and it's not supposed to start until May!

Did I say that I don't have coeliac disease? I got the test back for that as well. That was a relief!:)

I'm making a very healthy, protein packed curry for my lunch today and for the next few days as well.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
I need to start doing some strength training. Usually I would do that at the gym, so I need to figure out an at-home routine that doesn't require dumbbells.

Mostly, I don't want to lose muscle mass along with fat. That sometimes happens when people do cardio-only.

Reactions: Chryssie
I need to start doing some strength training. Usually I would do that at the gym, so I need to figure out an at-home routine that doesn't require dumbbells.
Mostly, I don't want to lose muscle mass along with fat. That sometimes happens when people do cardio-only.
I've had to come up with a home strength-training workout as well, since I don't have a gym membership anymore (my previous employer had a free gym that was great). So I've been doing squats, lunges, push-ups and core work like crunches. I do have some dumbbells, but they are 10 pounds each, so I have to work back up to that. I sometimes use canned goods for weights. :D I do three sets of lunges, for example, with 10 lunges per leg. Same with squats, 10 reps per set, three sets. I try to do them three times a week, but I mostly average one to two times per week.

On Sunday, my sister and our friend Rose went to Borderland State Park in Massachusetts and enjoyed a lovely 3.3 mile walk on mostly flat trails. We beat the rain, which was the plan. It was beautiful until about 1 p.m., when the clouds rolled in. Rain came later and it poured all night and most of Monday. I babysat on Monday, so no workout. Today is a nice day, so I walk outside will be in order.

I should do those type of exercises. I find them so boring, though.

I had a cheeze and mayo sandwich for breakfast. Not very healthy, but I fancied it.

I've been healthy the rest of the day. I had a banana, some Brazil nuts and then an avocado, cucumber and tomato salad with lemon juice and sea salt.

I'm hoping to see some results on the scale on Friday.

Today I have walked nearly 15,000 steps! This is because of work where I got over 8000 in the 4 hours I was there. I had a checkup at the doctor Monday and she said my weight was fine but I don't think so! I have to get under my calorie limit so I can shed this "muffin top." I am going to try to drastically reduce my sugar consumption. After my candy is gone. :D

The pollen is still pretty remarkable, but it has improved dramatically since the weekend. You could not even go out in it; it was like we were living in a yellow sandstorm.

So I've managed to do my walks and yoga regularly, but my weight is holding steady, which is annoying. I've cut down on alcohol - no wine on weekdays, limited on weekends - and I thought that would surely help. But I've discovered some lovely tonics, club sodas and shrubs (and even an alcohol-free wine) and so I don't think I've cut down on the calories as much as I thought I would have. :rolleyes:

I just went to the shop and bought garlic, cucumber, tomatoes, courgettes and kiwi fruit.

I brought my spiralizer out of retirement and made courgette noodles with tomatoes and sliced olives with a sprinkle of Cornish sea salt. I had some soda water with pink grapefruit juice as well. Surprisingly nice!

I've cut down on alcohol - no wine on weekdays, limited on weekends - and I thought that would surely help. But I've discovered some lovely tonics, club sodas and shrubs (and even an alcohol-free wine) and so I don't think I've cut down on the calories as much as I thought I would have. :rolleyes:

Do you mean tonic water? I read that there can be a lot of calories in that.
Tonic Water Nutrition Facts: Calories, Carbs, and Health Benefits

Reactions: Val
Status
Not open for further replies.