Are humans designed to eat meat?

For one thing, I don't believe humans were "designed". I can acknowledge that we're very fortunate to be able to eat many different foods.
I don't even a problem with those still living in the backwoods hunting to supplement their food supply.
I have a huge problem with people living where buffalo, and all the other animals used to freely roam, eating meat. That's shameful. The idea of avarice so large that anyone could taccept containing animals, mutilating them, and recreating them, just to systematically kill them like picking cotton, is insanity!
How different is that from exterminating an entire culture, taking their land, then picking and choosing which ones to breed for slaves?
We can formulate protein from plants, we can mill grain, and the elusive B12 would be as obtainable to us as it is the vegetarian animals if it weren't a source of contaminates.
To me, if it isn't necessary, and causes others harm--don't do it!

I don't even a problem with those still living in the backwoods hunting to supplement their food supply.
I don't either and if my brother gets a deer this year I won't have a problem helping him gut it.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm :confused:?
No... it's not sarcasm. If my brother gets a deer this year I'll have no problem helping him gut it.

I don't see how that would be at odds with vegetarianism.

Just ewww.....
I stand by what I've said about understanding there are situations where hunting is justified, but as someone so far removed from those conditions I couldn't see any reason to help!

It is what it is.... I'd never eat the meat myself but I have no problem helping my brother process the meat. Completely natural.

I've had to dissect frogs, fish, and earthworms for class before. Very hard to get through, and that's with medical precision and sterilized corpses. Imagining gutting a deer makes me sick. Bleck! I had to skip the fetal pig because of this.

I've had to dissect frogs, fish, and earthworms for class before. Very hard to get through, and that's with medical precision and sterilized corpses. Imagining gutting a deer makes me sick. Bleck! I had to skip the fetal pig because of this.

Yeah, the smell during a dissection is rarely a pleasurable experience.

I still remember it from the time that I dissected a heart.....not nice.

When you look at our hands, they look pretty much designed for picking things. Probably fruit, seeds, nuts. And other plants. With our tool knowledge, root digging also would have been a strong food gaining technique.

And our vision looks very adapted for trying to determine the ripeness of fruit. The kind of colour vision we have corresponds well with determining fruit colours. It is a similar principle to the colour vision of birds who rely on berries and flower nectar.

Also we dont have the strong reflexes of a predator, or the fast sprint, we are walkers and slower endurance runners.

I think that humans have always used meat as a sort of fallback for when they couldnt find the plants they needed.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Also we dont have the strong reflexes of a predator, or the fast sprint, we are walkers and slower endurance runners.

I think that humans have always used meat as a sort of fallback for when they couldnt find the plants they needed.

Yet being a slow endurance runner is actually quite beneficial for hunting, or rather, we used it to our advantage.

You see, most animals like deer and such are very fast, thus possessing a high percentage of "twitch muscle" or what some call "type 2", therefore making them like human sprinters, fast in the beginning but slow in the uptake. Also, humans have the advantage of being to sweat continuously during the run, whereas other animals typically have to catch their breath and rest for a while, since they cool off in that very manner.

Now, this would actually be quite a pickle since they just run to where we cannot see them, but humans, like some other animals, are good at tracking, and is thus likely to outlast the animal in question.
Well, either that or traps.

Well, either that or traps.

When you have to resort to traps, guns, knives, etc, it shows that we aren't built to be predators.

Also the fact that we need to use knives in the first place to cut them up shows we aren't meant to eat meat. I don't recall ever seeing a lion,, wolf or a bear using a knife to cut up their food. They don't have to cook it either.

When you have to resort to traps, guns, knives, etc, it shows that we aren't built to be predators.

The earliest form of hunting was that which I named above, and isn't as much reliant on weapons as it is on the human physiology.

A lot of people dont realise that the main form of animal protein that ancient humans relied on is actually animals like locusts and grubs. So someone on the "paleo" diet should be eating termites and worms.

Reactions: Blobbenstein
Well, that depends on what you mean by "ancient humans".

A lot of indigenous people of the rainforest eat grubs.