Baseball phrases and sports lingo in the US

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Help!

In about 3 weeks' time I'm going to an event (in Chicago) with a bunch of guys who I have reason to suspect will be talking a lot about baseball. I need to quickly learn the lingo so I can fit in!

Does anyone have any phrases I can borrow? Any famous players I can name drop?

And maybe ways I can use the phrases & names in social contexts? Let's say I'm ordering beer. Can I say something about "home-runs" or "innings" when they bring it to the table? :weird:

Oh, and I'll be sure to say "3 strikes and you're out!" if someone drinks too much and is shown the door! Right?

What about teams? There is one team called Red Socks, I think, although that kinda sounds like the name of a feminist action group. (How uncharacteristically progressive!) And then there's the White Caps. They sound kinda like a team of posh sailors with their fancy clean and white hats, just off the boat for a stroll around town.

The only thing you really need to know is that the New York Yankees are the best team in baseball history. They've won the World Series 27 times. No other team has come close to that.

The best part is people either love or hate the Yankees - (love for the team has nothing to do with location either, they are loved universally, everywhere) so you'll automatically get credit for having a position on this. You must have a position on this.

Mike Trout is a hot player right now - and very popular.

Derek Jeter is retiring from the Yankees at the end of this season after a 20 year career. He is so popular, the opposing teams are honoring him when the Yankees play their last games against them. Most teams are giving Jeter elaborate presents and gifts.

Reactions: Second Summer
Aren't the Chicago Cubs supposedly the worst team? I vaguely remember a big celebration many years ago because it was their first win ever, not sure how accurate that is.

I think mentioning that (they're a horrible team) in Chicago is a big no-no. :p

Of course, everything I just said may be incorrect as I don't like sports or follow it.

There is a ridiculous spike in prices to see the last Jeter's games. I heard that on the radio.

Yeah, I figure Jeter's had a purty good career there with them Yankees, yep. Great sportsmanship there. Uh, better quit while the going's good, right? (Etc etc, imagine more nonsense here.)

OK, so this situation is developing as we speak. I have received new information that makes me suspect the conversation will not be limited exclusively to baseball! There were mentions of hockey and basketball, and even soccer! I'm going to need a lot of practice!

Reactions: Dedalus
just tell them you are sportistic, and don't understand why people stand around hitting things and jumping around..

You'll annoy Americans if you point out that baseball is a lot like the older British game of rounders. There is a persistent myth that baseball was invented by Abner Doubleday. People will believe it even though the likelihood that the game evolved from rounders is more realistic.

And yes, the Cubs are definitely the worst team in baseball, but at this point in the team's history, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they're a plucky band of players who optimistically keep trying year after year after year to increase their standings and hopefully make it into the playoffs (never mind the World Series). What matters is their small cadre of diehard fans who follow the games and keep up their hopes no matter how many games the team loses.

In Chicago, the Cubs and the White Sox are the local professional baseball (MLB) teams. The Cubs are National League, and haven't won the World Series since 1908. The Sox are American League. In the American League, a designated hitter, commonly known as the DH, will bat for the pitcher. In the National League, the pitcher must bat, always ninth. Bill Murray is a huge Cubs fans. Also, Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello. President Obama is a White Sox fan.

The local professional hockey (NHL) team is the Blackhawks. In professional basketball (NBA) there is the Bulls, and in professional (American) football (NFL) the Bears.

Bo Jackson, who played football, baseball and track at Auburn University, was drafted to the NFL by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but refused to sign because they ruined his collegiate baseball career when he visited the facility during his senior year under the guise that it had been cleared by the NCAA. As a result, he could no longer play baseball at Auburn. After college, he played professional baseball for the Kansas City Royals, and later played professional football as a hobby during baseball's offseason with the Oakland Raiders. Long story short: Bo Jackson dislocated his hip in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals ending his football career, and the Kansas City Royals released him. Eventually, Bo Jackson became the first person to play professional baseball with an artificial hip. The team was the Chicago White Sox. Bo Jackson's 30 for 30 documentary can be found on Netflix: You Don't Know Bo.

Last edited:
I am about an hour north of Boston so the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is pretty vicious in my region. People do a lot of talking in terms of "us" vs. "them" which gets pretty exhausting during baseball season for someone like me who is not interested in professional team sports at all. That said, NOTHING in The States touches those soccer riots other parts of the world have. That's insanity right there.

football hooliganism isn't really about football(I think) it was just football being hijacked by people who like to fight....that was here in the UK years back....maybe there are other riots though.

Because you're going to Chicago, read up on Steve Bartman - the unfortunate fan who late in the game, snatched a fly ball from the outfield seats, preventing the Cubs from getting a 3rd out and a possible trip to the World Series. They were only 5 outs away at that point, but they ended up losing the game - and consequently missed the World Series again - thus their hope for a World Title - when they had the best team they've had in decades. Here is a good article that sums up all the high points: Please forgive me, Steve Bartman - Chicago Tribune

There is also an engaging documentary on this titled: 'Catching Hell.' Whether you are a baseball fan / Cubs fan or not - the film is truly engaging. Bartman had to move out of Chicago following the incident - people were ******* crazy - sending him death threats etc.) It is a stirring example of how primative sports fans can be. Catching Hell (2011) - IMDb

Reactions: PTree15