Baseball phrases and sports lingo in the US

Learn this song: Take Me Out to the Ball Game.mid

Increase the play speed to 2.0 for the approximate speed at which most Americans sing it, and ignore the first few notes. The singing begins 6 seconds in, and it's actually just the refrain, but nobody sings the entire song. Here are the lyrics for the refrain:

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Crackerjack,
I don't care if I never get back,
So it's root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
And it's one, two, THREE strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Take Me Out to the Ball Game by Jack Norworth

Karl, I'll bet your American wife knows this song. Ask her. ;)

The ... New York Yankees have won the most World Series titles (27) in baseball history. No other team has come close to that.

The best part is people either love or hate the Yankees - (love for the team has everything to do with location, they are loathed universally, almost everywhere, except New York and some misguided, rogue towns in Connecticut and Rhode Island) so you'll automatically get credit for having a position on this. You must have a position on this.

There...fixed :D.
(I am a Red Sox fan, after all :D )

Reactions: Amy SF and Dedalus
There...fixed :D.
(I am a Red Sox fan, after all :D )

In true baseball rivalry fashion - let me rub some salt in the wounds....

World Series Titles
New York Yankees: 27
Boston Red Sox: 8

The Boston Red Sox won 5 World championships by 1918. However, they then went into one of the longest championship droughts in baseball history, called by some the "Curse of the Bambino" after its alleged beginning with the Red Sox's sale of Babe Ruth to the rival New York Yankees two years after their world championship in 1918, an 86-year wait before the team's sixth World Championship in 2004.

:cool:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dedalus ( ;) ), but we do have three WS titles in the last 10 years, so that makes me happy, given that I had to wait several decades for the first one. I shall never forget the end of the title drought. It was a glorious evening! And Harry Frazee can rot in you-know-where, because he must be there for committing that egregious act!! :D

Reactions: Amy SF and Dedalus
Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dedalus ( ;) ), but we do have three WS titles in the last 10 years, so that makes me happy, given that I had to wait several decades for the first one. I shall never forget the end of the title drought. It was a glorious evening! And Harry Frazee can rot in you-know-where, because he must be there for committing that egregious act!! :D

...and they came back from 3 games down to beat the Yankees one of those years. That one still smarts.

Reactions: PTree15
yankees-sox-fans-kiss_zps4306b531.jpg

My mom was a Red Sox fan from Boston and my dad a.diehard Yankee fan. Married 54 years. :)

IS, the best thing to do is just agree with the natives that the Chicago teams are the best. :D For a laugh, say "Dah Bearz" instead of "The Bears" (American football, season just beginning.)

About hockey: say "they sure can fight well while wearing ice skates!" :)