Buy new or recycle?

Some people are icked out by used items, and that's a legitimate opinion. We shouldn't try to dismiss it.

But I don't agree that used items tend to present an abnormal health risk.

I would worry way more about foot fungus than about viruses. I would do my own pedicures even if I were rich. Once you get fungus, it is difficult to get rid of, so it seems feasible that it could lie dormant in the shoes and spring to life when conditions are favorable. I was too lazy to look it up, though.

I've just searched for "fungus used shoes".

The first result is from eHow, and details how to disinfect used shoes.

Step one is "Pour one cup of rubbing alcohol onto the shoes to kill bacteria. Some of the rubbing alcohol will seep into the shoes."

Step three is "Mix 1/4 cup bleach with one cup water. Spray the mixture into the shoes. This will kill germs and fungus. Make sure that the bleach only touches the inside of the shoes. Allow the shoes to dry thoroughly."

This is clearly a case of destroying the shoe in order to save it.

Look at bowling shoes. They are worn for hours by a lot of different people and all the get is a quick disinfectant spray between uses. I've never heard anyone say they caught something from the shoes.

I haven't bought any used shoes, but wouldn't be against wearing them if I found some I liked.
I also buy mostly used clothes. I found a lot of really nice things, in good condition, that I would never have been able to afford otherwise.

eta: I forget about the pair of crocs a friend gave me because they didn't fit her. They were from a second hand store but looked brand new and are one of my favorite pairs. I've had a lot of people ask where I got them, as they are hard to find.

Look at bowling shoes. They are worn for hours by a lot of different people and all the get is a quick disinfectant spray between uses.

:no:
:no:

I went bowling with friends a lot in high school and college, but I was always scorekeeper because I refuse to put on those shoes. :sick:

Recycle would be the first thought for me. That said, I wouldn't buy second-hand leather clothing because the smell reminds me what it's made of and would make me sad. I also don't like the smell or feel of wool.

I've worn used shoes before as a kid. I think my entire wardrobe was furnished with donations. We just washed them in the washing machine for running shoes and wiped the insides down for dress shoes. I never got warts or anything.

That said, I don't think I'd buy used shoes as an adult. I did accept a pair of my friend's patent faux-leather heels though. I think its the not knowing who's gross feet were in there that turns me off the idea.

Recycle would be the first thought for me. That said, I wouldn't buy second-hand leather clothing because the smell reminds me what it's made of and would make me sad. I also don't like the smell or feel of wool.

Ugh the smell of leather is so overwhelmingly disgusting.:yuck: Just walking past a leather clothing store makes me gag.

Well if demonic spirits can attach themselves to second-hand sweaters, who knows what might be attached to used shoes?

You'll always be vegan in my book no matter how many used leather items you refuse to buy. ;)

That crazy Pat! :rolleyes: Such a silly, silly man. His only purpose in life is to give us a good laugh every time he opens his insane mouth.

Ugh the smell of leather is so overwhelmingly disgusting.:yuck: Just walking past a leather clothing store makes me gag.

Funny thing, I just bought a pair of faux leather boots and they stink too! Like shoe polish. It's like they were trying to make them smell like leather or something. I thought they would air out but no. I might have to donate these. brand new too. :-(