Buy new or recycle?

Exercise your immune system. ;)

And become infested with bedbugs? No thanks.

I can't afford to travel much anyway, and even if I could I don't know anyone I could trust to look after the rabbits while I was away. But not travelling is better for the environment, and for animals, yeah?

And become infested with bedbugs? No thanks.

I can't afford to travel much anyway, and even if I could I don't know anyone I could trust to look after the rabbits while I was away. But not travelling is better for the environment, and for animals, yeah?

It is. But you can always travel without a car, and that helps a lot. ;)

I don't worry too much about bed bugs though. Yes, they are a risk, but so is life.

Except for our bookshelves, all of our living room furniture is second hand; most was rescued from the street by my flatmate. It's brilliant, she's so good at finding crap!

We have a sofa bed from gumtree that cost a tenner. It has some suspicious stains (on the sofa, not the mattress part) but that's what throws are for. Everyone who sleeps in it sleeps REALLY well :D

Most of what I own is second hand really, benefit of working in charity shops :)

Except for our bookshelves, all of our living room furniture is second hand; most was rescued from the street by my flatmate. It's brilliant, she's so good at finding crap!

We have a sofa bed from gumtree that cost a tenner. It has some suspicious stains (on the sofa not the mattress part!) but that's what throws are for. Everyone who sleeps in it sleeps REALLY well :D

Most of what I own is second hand really, benefit of working in charity shops :)

All of my furniture is second hand except my computer desk which I bought new for $15 over 10 yrs ago. A lot of my appliances and clothes are second hand also. I used to think wearing second hand shoes was absolutely disgusting, but this past summer I found a pair of cheap sneakers on Craigslist that were practically brand new. I just washed the hell out of them as soon as I got them and they've become my favorite pair of shoes. However, I'm still not completely sold on the idea of buying second hand shoes. If they are something that can't be washed (like dress shoes) then hell no I won't go near them.

You can always throw a pair of shoes in a zip lock bag and toss 'em in the freezer. That'll work well for getting them sanitized.

I'm a tad confused about people who don't want to wear shoes someone else has worn. How can you avoid that? When you shop for shoes, any shoe you try on may have been tried on by someone else.

You can always throw a pair of shoes in a zip lock bag and toss 'em in the freezer. That'll work well for getting them sanitized.

I'm a tad confused about people who don't want to wear shoes someone else has worn. How can you avoid that? When you shop for shoes, any shoe you try on may have been tried on by someone else.
I am not sure freezing kills all fungus.

I dislike *matchy* furniture.

My ex husband used to refer to the antiques I scoured around for as "your used furniture."

Wood develops a beautiful patina over the years that new furniture just can't match.

Tried on for like 2mins or worn and used day in day out for X amount of time. Theyre the same thing.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
My feet sweat. A lot. I can see in my closet which shoes I wear a lot because they're discolored inside from my foot sweat. It doesn't happen often, but on occasion my feet will sweat so much I can literally pour the liquid out.

I realize most people's feet aren't like this, but mine are completely disgusting. Hell no I'm not going to wear shoes that someone else's feet were sweaty and possibly had fungus or warts in.

Next time you try on some used shoes, think of my feet in those shoes.

Reactions: mary1
^ In the summer, my feet sweat way more than that. Once I twisted my ankle because my foot slipped out of my sweat-filled flip flop.
I'm sorry, but I laughed at that RL.

PS My cousin sprays underarm deoderant on her feet. Some people get botox injected in their armpits to stop excessive sweating. And probably wrinkle-free pits. ;)

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I used to use antiperspirant on my feet, but that was before I got the rabbits. Now I'm completely paranoid about anything that could hurt them, and my mind imagines the chemicals rubbing off onto the floor, then the rabbits ingesting it when they groom themselves.

I also don't allow shoes to be worn past the laundry room for the same reason.

Reactions: ledboots
You can't tell by looking at them, which ones have fungus and warts.

But how long does the virus live outside the body? I'm finding conflicting answers, and no definite source.

Plantar warts are caused by HPV (not obviously the same strain of HPV that causes genital warts). I'm having a hard time finding a real answer on how long it would typically live outside of the body. (Really, you think someone would have studied this). Wikipedia states the virus can live outside the body for months, but neither of the links they cite for that say anything about how long the virus can live outside the body.

I find reports that the HPV strains responsible for plantar wars can be spread at pools, locker rooms, showers, etc. But yet again, I can't find any scientific studies on this.

Presumably, the strains responsible for plantar warts should have a similar durability to strains responsible for genital warts. Googling HPV and toilet seats, the credible sources seem to agree that you can't spread it via toilet seats.

Presumably, if the virus can't live on a toilet seat for a few minutes, it's unlikely to live inside a used shoe even overnight.