Can too much vegan food & non-vegan food Intolerance

what farm produce are you buying that isn't vegan o_O
I'm not. I am now staying vegan. I had a mental health assessment and for some strange reason started eating meat again. I do not know exactly what it was that never agreed with me, only that i preferred vegan.
I have got a flu bug now. Oats with oat milk and a soya yoghurt is much nicer in every way and will help me get through this flu bug.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I
Honestly I know people that hunt that do more for animals than almost any vegan I know. They would love to just live with nature, and honestly, in many climates that would involve hunting, and meat would be limited. They respect my choice more than those who stay ignorant

I very well remember when Pollans book came out, as well as In Defense of Food. I think those books did more to get people thinking and reduce their intake of animal products than any documentary.
I have noticed the farmers are also the people that look after the animals in the fields and keep their numbers under control.
Having said that i still do not like the way animals are being bred for the purpose of being slaughtered.
I also do not like the way the calf is taken from the cow except that it stops the calf from being trodden on.. Dairy,, apparantly, is the reason for it.

It’s not exactly „becoming lactose intolerant“, it’s „getting weaned“.
Every mammal in the animal kingdom gets raised on mother’s milk for some time after birth and at some point loses the capability to digest it. Most people know they should not feed adult cats with milk, unless it’s a specially prepared lactose free „cat milk“

I first heard that some 20 years ago - before going vegan myself - from a work colleague who was „lactose intolerant“.
I asked him why, and he told me that at age 12 or so, he had a sports injury - he‘s an avid soccer player - where he broke a leg and the doctor told him he should not consume dairy for a few months to improve the bone healing. When he tried to consume dairy again after his injury had healed, he found it no longer agreed with him.

We often had spirited discussions whether cappucchino is an abomination or not - he’s Italian - and he always conceded that for a German/Austrian person like myself it’s ok to consume, but anybody serious about enjoying coffee certainly should stick to Espresso…

Humans (to be precise: humans in the Western world) are the only species of mammal who keep consuming dairy after adolescense and keeping the capability to digest dairy through this consumption up to an old age.
But then, that’s not a problem at all - there are so many great plant drinks available now.

Sidenote: We used to understand that „Asians are lactose intolerant“, and it dismays me very much to now see the numerous advertisements whenever I watch TV in Asia nowadays where Western dairy companies try to convince Asian mothers to „give the best of Western food“ to their infants (dairy milk, bone broth and similar) , so they can „become stronger and smarter“ :mad:

Last edited:
Its both.
Every mammal in the animal kingdom gets raised on mother’s milk for some time after birth and at some point loses the capability to digest it.
That is true normally.
Most people know they should not feed adult cats with milk, unless it’s a specially prepared lactose free „cat milk“
Cats are a good example of the "abnormal exception"
For many mammals, if they aren't weaned then they retain the ability to digest milk.
Cats are a good example of this for we have all seen full grown cats drinking milk from a saucer. if they are regularly given milk - they they retain their ability to digest it. This can and does happen in other species as well. It's just that we've all seen cats do this.

I first heard that some 20 years ago - before going vegan myself - from a work colleague who was „lactose intolerant“.
I asked him why, and he told me that at age 12 or so, he had a sports injury - he‘s an avid soccer player - where he broke a leg and the doctor told him he should not consume dairy for a few months to improve the bone healing. When he tried to consume dairy again after his injury had healed, he found it no longer agreed with him.
That's an odd story and I don't know what exactly to make of it. Perhaps he was lactose intolerant before and didn't realize it.
I'm not sure about this but there may be degrees of lactose intolerance.
Humans (to be precise: humans in the Western world) are the only species of mammal who keep consuming dairy after adolescense and keeping the capability to digest dairy through this consumption up to an old age.
That ability is actually a mutation that has been naturally genetically selected for.
Scientists think that about 10,000 years ago in Northern Europe humans would drink cows milk to help get thru famines (even though it. made some of them sick). Some humans did had the gene for lactose tolerance and did better during those times. They were more successful and that trait became more prevalent.

Sidenote: We used to understand that „Asians are lactose intolerant“, and it dismays me very much to now see the numerous advertisements whenever I watch TV in Asia nowadays where Western dairy companies try to convince Asian mothers to „give the best of Western food“ to their infants (dairy milk, bone broth and similar) , so they can „become stronger and smarter“ :mad:
Lactose tolerance is mostly found in the descendants of Northern Europeans - where the natural selection took place. But you can find lactose tolerance in lots of peoples.

Every mammal in the animal kingdom gets raised on mother’s milk for some time after birth and at some point loses the capability to digest it. Most people know they should not feed adult cats with milk, unless it’s a specially prepared lactose free „cat milk“

We often had spirited discussions whether cappucchino is an abomination or not - he’s Italian - and he always conceded that for a German/Austrian person like myself it’s ok to consume, but anybody serious about enjoying coffee certainly should stick to Espresso…

But then, that’s not a problem at all - there are so many great plant drinks available now.

Humans you say are the only species to carry on consuming dairy after adolescence.
Humans in fact are breast or bottle fed until about 12-18 months (depending on the baby).
Then it depends on the household you are in and then the fact that people have their own taste in food and drink as they go through adolescence.

BTW, the mutation is probably best called Lactose Persistence.
Lactose intolerance is the default condition.
Lactose persistence is a dominant trait. Which explains how it is now in 70% of the people.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC