I’ll Cry If I Want To

DreaP

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Before my rant, I just want to say THANK YOU for all the kind souls in this forum. I’ve read many threads and am touched by the vulnerable shares, in addition to the wise and supportive responses.
I’m grateful to be a part of a space where I feel welcomed to vent and look forward to honest replies and opinions.
Buckle up, I’m not shy with details. My auto editor literally flags “conciseness” on every document I type :)
I will also preface this rant with the fact that I absolutely love my mother. Aside from how her words made me feel tonight, she is kind and caring, and a wonderful hostess.
Here goes…

In the past, I have always cooked a vegan meal for my birthday (12-15 extended family). This year, my mother insisted on taking over, providing I gave her my lasagna recipe and prepared some vegan cheese for it. I asked multiple times if I could do anything and she said no. Knowing my preference to have one vegan meal shared with loved ones, she told me on top of the two pans of lasagna, she made a fruit tray, baked a cake, made salads, and my daughter was making guac. Minutes before guests were expected to arrive, my mother says “I’m going to put out a cheese tray because * * didn’t make the guac.” Turns out the avocados were too ripe, so my daughter did hummus and salsa. In my mind, that’s a fair substitution. In my mother’s mind, only Brie and a block of aged pus juice from tortured cows tits would solve the missing guacamole crisis. I offered to go to the store, but she HAD to get rid of the Brie. I bit my tongue.
I probably would forgotten about it by now had she not brought out ice cream after everyone was finishing up their cake.
After the others had left, she thanked me for cleaning up and I thanked her for dinner. Following that I opened the can….
I said I would have preferred to help out by making more appetizers or dessert if she thought more food was needed. She brought up the precious guac again and that she was just trying to make everyone happy. No one starved, many compliments were thrown at her, even my nephews who groan at the mention of anything V, cleared their plates.
Next, I said more than I’ve ever shared to a non vegan about my repulsion to others eating animal products in front of me, IMO in a soft way, something along the lines of... “I don’t expect you to understand the pain I feel when I watch people eat. It truly hurts me. You of all people know I used to love non vegan food. Do you think I would stop eating it if I didn’t feel so strongly?”
Her response “If it makes you feel that bad maybe you should talk to someone.”
The question was coupled with a mix of judgement and concern in her eyes and voice.
!!!!! ME? !!!! I HAVE THE PROBLEM??? I NEED THE THERAPIST? !!! - I didn’t say that part.
In the convo, no voices were raised and despite the title, no tears were shed. Dang am I ****** though.
I feel like I do a pretty good job of navigating who I can and can’t enlighten. Most of my friends are allys or vegan curious. I slowly converted a few past partners. I’m not a loud activist in social settings (but don’t judge anyone who is, fight your fight). I bring options/meals to non vegan gatherings with food and never expect accommodations. I may be a bit biased here, but I think I’m a pretty chill vegan.
I always knew my mother just tolerated my lifestyle, but to attempt to make me feel mentally unstable just boggles my mind.
Does tonight’s encounter sting more because it was my mother? Am I just sensitive bc it’s my bday? Am I bothered bc I am too chill? Should I be more authentic at the expense of others being uncomfortable around me? Be honest, am I being a birthdayzilla? The lasagna was delish and it feels wrong to have this foul taste left in my mouth after all the effort she put into the meal.

I welcome all advice. Also, happy to share even more details. :p

Are you really that repulsed or are you using it as an excuse to take the moral high ground? If the latter, then maybe try to understand other people according to how you felt about food before you became a vegan.

Are you really that repulsed or are you using it as an excuse to take the moral high ground? If the latter, then maybe try to understand other people according to how you felt about food before you became a vegan.
Thanks for the suggestion, Brian.
I am really repulsed. For the past few years, I have managed by not looking at others food when I am dining with them. There was a time that I lost a significant amount of weight because of my physical response.
Re: high ground, I don’t claim to be better than others or all knowing, but I wouldn’t choose this lifestyle if it wasn’t the moral thing to do for animals.
My issue isn’t that others won’t follow my lifestyle, it’s that I wanted to celebrate one meal without cruelty and I feel like I was duped out of it.
I wouldn’t drink at an alcoholics birthday or smoke a J in front of someone who is attempting to quit. I don’t believe in marriage, but I buy the gifts, sit for long ceremonies and not wear white to someone’s wedding. Is it entitled to have expectations for my family to be considerate?
I’m feeling much better after my long winded rant and happy to chalk it up as lesson learned. If I want to fully enjoy my BD meal, I’ll make it myself 😁

I agree a thousand percent. If it was someone else’s birthday, and you chose to attend, then you would not have had a right to speak up. But, our birthdays are the one day a year where it is supposed to be about your choices and you even offered to do the food. I think you handled it beautifully too.. it’s just hard to be a vegan in a non- vegan world! Happy to hear most of your friends are supportive, I don’t have that same experience

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I understand why you would feel the way you do and if you were having the meal in your own home and someone brought cheese etc then I am of the opinion that you could ask them to put it away and take it back with them. Seeing as it seems it wasn't your home then that is more of a challenge, despite it being your special meal, some could argue.

Also, I am not sure I would trust someone, who feels this way about my food choices, to actually make the lasagna or the cake without non-vegan ingredients. I do have one family member who I know would love to "fool" me with something... I wouldn't trust him not to.

I have seen an article recently indicating that vegans have "issues" around food and that may be the way they are trying to make us feel bad about our choices. I agree with how you feel about feeling a bit sick/hurt seeing others eating flesh of animals although having been an omnivore for so many years I also understand why families and friends would not understand.

Maybe next year take back the control and have it in your home or supply all the food again.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I agree a thousand percent. If it was someone else’s birthday, and you chose to attend, then you would not have had a right to speak up. But, our birthdays are the one day a year where it is supposed to be about your choices and you even offered to do the food. I think you handled it beautifully too.. it’s just hard to be a vegan in a non- vegan world! Happy to hear most of your friends are supportive, I don’t have that same experience
Thanks for taking the time to respond :)
I imagine it being very difficult for you if you don't have the support of friends. Social gatherings are often food focused. It's a fine line to navigate if boundaries will push people away. I really make efforts to do activities that don't involve food with those that aren't overly supportive; hikes, sports, drinks, cards, etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I understand why you would feel the way you do and if you were having the meal in your own home and someone brought cheese etc then I am of the opinion that you could ask them to put it away and take it back with them. Seeing as it seems it wasn't your home then that is more of a challenge, despite it being your special meal, some could argue.

Also, I am not sure I would trust someone, who feels this way about my food choices, to actually make the lasagna or the cake without non-vegan ingredients. I do have one family member who I know would love to "fool" me with something... I wouldn't trust him not to.

I have seen an article recently indicating that vegans have "issues" around food and that may be the way they are trying to make us feel bad about our choices. I agree with how you feel about feeling a bit sick/hurt seeing others eating flesh of animals although having been an omnivore for so many years I also understand why families and friends would not understand.

Maybe next year take back the control and have it in your home or supply all the food again.

Emma JC
Thanks for the advice, Emma! Your take on the trust piece added a layer to my worries.
I really appreciate the insight on "issues". It is very possible that my "issues" are created subconsciously to attempt to control others choices. I think that if I look at it that way, I will be less inclined to be so rigid. I really don't want to create friction.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
It was YOUR birthday and you opted to attend what, to me at least, would be a dinner I'd suffer though. Even if it had all been to your liking you knew others were unhappy whether they said it or not. I'm normally not that bothered by what others eat, but on a day that should be for what I want, I want it be what I want.
I'd have gone all my myself to MY favorite restaurant (which I often do), and have drinks or something with family and and friends.
It's so rude when people do things they like and get upset when they express their opinions.
Of course I'm not a people person, so take that into account. When I do do things for others I make certain it what THEY want regardless of how I feel.

Again, just sub something besides being vegan--say Kosher, or Halal, or celiac--it's the same respect.
It's your decision to attend these events, so make up your mind. If you do, then be prepared for much the same

Loving all the different perspectives on this. The added points about Celiac, Halal and Kosher are super valid.

I’ll toast to you and all the solo vegans when I go out by myself for a meal at my favourite restaurant 😁

I don't really agree that vegans have "issues" I think it is just a talking point non-vegans are going to use going forward to try to make us feel like we do.

Emma JC

I don't really agree that vegans have "issues" I think it is just a talking point non-vegans are going to use going forward to try to make us feel like we do.

Emma JC
Thanks for clarifying.
I don't think it's a huge internal issue for me because I take pride in the fact non-vegan food bothers me.
On the other hand, I don't want social events to include conflicts.

I feel for you.
As someone who has now 2 years of not eating animal produce, watching my non-vegan family tuck into friday take-out (usually chicken) repulses me.
The smell of cow's milk in people's tea makes me gag.
Holiday get-togethers are no longer fun for me. It's like sitting down at a table of cannibals, lapping up corpses.

If your birthday is vegan, then make sure it is. It's your day after all.

And yes, I used to do it and that's the only thought keeping me from exploding. But with the realisation of just how fucked up it is, comes the very real feelings of sadness and repulsion.
It isn't your issue, it's the majority that need to change.

One vegan meal to share with loved ones is a wonderful thing.
The last minute dairy cheese addition could be a personal addiction, it went against the principle of the shared meal.
You seem inwardly strong good luck with the next gathering with your loved ones.

• Friendly