Chia Seeds

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
Are these worth they hype? I tend to roll my eyes at anything that is nicknamed a Superfood, but everyone seems to rave about these things. Are they really that fantastic?

I remember Chia pets being really popular when I was younger. Now I can't help but picture my stomach sprouting a bunch of little green leaves if I consume some chia seeds.:rolleyes:

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I purchased a packet of organic chia seeds (Argentinian) with my latest order on iherb. I add them to smoothies, salads, hot oatmeal and as egg subsitutes instead of linseed/flax.

Apparently you should avoid purchasing chia seeds that are grown in China.

I bought a bag of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CGTN1I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER at Whole Foods a couple months ago and have been adding it to my salads.

Please note that "superfood" does not mean "magical food". It does not mean that the minute you eat some of it you can instantly go from feeling like death to feeling like you can do a triathlon. "Superfood" simply means that it contains a lot of different nutrients such as protein, a range of vitamins, minerals, Omegas, etc. in decent amounts. It's a nutritional food, like eating raw fruits and veggies. The healthful aspects of it are felt in your body over time.

If you see the reviews where people mentioned rat poop and sand and twigs, please note that I've found nothing but chia seeds in my bag of chia seeds. I think it must have been a quality control issue that was fixed. Still, if you're willing to try it, either try a different brand, or buy this one and dump everything into a glass jar to see if it contains anything other than chia seeds. If so, put it back in the pouch and take it or send it back. And then contact the company with an angry note or phone call. That's what I would do.

ETA: And like one of the Amazon reviewers said, once you open it, keep it refrigerated.

I keep hearing that tv commercial ch ch ch ch ch chia pets...lol

I know!!! That's what's kind of putting me off from trying them.

Please note that "superfood" does not mean "magical food". It does not mean that the minute you eat some of it you can instantly go from feeling like death to feeling like you can do a triathlon. "Superfood" simply means that it contains a lot of different nutrients such as protein, a range of vitamins, minerals, Omegas, etc. in decent amounts. It's a nutritional food, like eating raw fruits and veggies. The healthful aspects of it are felt in your body over time.

Yeah I really hate that word.

I purchased a packet of organic chia seeds (Argentinian) with my latest order on iherb. I add them to smoothies, salads, hot oatmeal and as egg subsitutes instead of linseed/flax.

Apparently you should avoid purchasing chia seeds that are grown in China.

Does it also act as a thickener for your smoothies and oatmeal since they expand?

Some people at my work are always eating chia seeds. They put some in a bottle with water before work and leave it soaking. The seeds expand and they consume the seeds later in the day.

To me, they look like masses of frog eggs in the water.

I'll have to pass.

Reactions: thefadedone
I can deal with sand and twigs and maybe even frog eggs, but not rat poop. :no: lol

Reactions: thefadedone
Oh, c'mon. I don't expand my chia seeds. I dump them as they are into my salads. They look like little black specks. They don't taste like anything. No big deal.

I know!!! That's what's kind of putting me off from trying them.

Yeah I really hate that word.

Does it also act as a thickener for your smoothies and oatmeal since they expand?

I don't add enough to my smoothies so they don't actually thicken them. I usually make them with fruit and nut butter.

I have been taking a teaspoon of chia seeds in the morning for years now. Of course, they contain Omega 3s, but the good thing about them is they are much more easily digestible than flax seeds. I won't say they are life changing, but they are definitely nutritious and worth taking.

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
I have a roughly a dessert spoon full in my oats every morning. I don't even notice then really, but one time i had run out of them & noticed my oats were not as thick as usual....they do bulk things out! much prefer oats with chia seeds now. Have to make sure you stir them round evenly though otherwise you get a big clump & that's when you notice the gross texture of them.

Ok...I'm almost convinced. May have to make a trip to Whole Foods this weekend.

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm wondering if they'd be better for me if I sprouted them. Many seeds and grains are, and some taste better sprouted.
Anyone know about this?

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm wondering if they'd be better for me if I sprouted them. Many seeds and grains are, and some taste better sprouted.
Anyone know about this?

I think that you can sprout any seed however the fatty acid content would be lost in the process.

I have just discovered that grey and white chia seeds exist. However the latter are about 3 times more expensive than the black ones.

I have a co worker who walks around the office with a water bottle. She has chia seeds in there with the water and drinks it all day long. They look look like slimy little tadpoles, lol. She doesn't seem to mind it. I don't think I could put them in a liquid and drink it like that. :no:

I made the chocolate pudding and while it was very tasty, I didn't like the texture.