Cracked fingernails

vego

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello,
I have been vegan for about 2 months. To cover my protein requirements, I eat a lot of beans and bread to improve the biological value of the protein. Otherwise I eat vegetables and olive oil.
As a dietary supplement, I take a daily supplement with
14mg iron
1.1mg B1
1.4mg B2
1.4mg B6
5µg B12
16mg niacin
20mg vitamin C
I already have 3 broken fingernails. Is the dosage too low? What is missing? It won't work in the long term.

Hello,
I have been vegan for about 2 months. To cover my protein requirements, I eat a lot of beans and bread to improve the biological value of the protein. Otherwise I eat vegetables and olive oil.
As a dietary supplement, I take a daily supplement with
14mg iron
1.1mg B1
1.4mg B2
1.4mg B6
5µg B12
16mg niacin
20mg vitamin C
I already have 3 broken fingernails. Is the dosage too low? What is missing? It won't work in the long term.
There are many possible reasons for broken fingernails, the most common being not enough moisture or too much moisture. Dietary causes are rare but they often prescribe biotin (B7) where deficiency is an issue. Rule out other causes first though as deficiency is very rare. I am a little concerned about your B12. My multi contains 15µg B12 - are you sure yours is not a typo? Thyroid issues can also be a cause - where are you getting your iodine from? Are you eating iodized salt? If not, then a supplement is essential. My supplement contains 150µg which is 100%. You also need vitamin D3 (10-15µg if you are under 50) to enable your body to absorb enough calcium. Is your supplement a vegan one? If so, I'm surprised it doesn't contain these. BTW, I don't think 2 months is long enough for deficiencies to show so I don't think this is your problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I suspect that I don't drink enough. I will try to drink more. Thank you for your hint.
Indeed, I take B12 µg. That is 200% of the recommended daily dose.

Reactions: Brian W
@Brian W gave you a very good answer. I'm going to emphasize and expand on his answer.

Before I get started, alhough supplements are a good idea - the best source of vitamins and minerals is real food. That being said it is a good idea to supplement with B12 and D.

Broken fingernails have a lot of different causes and although just a few. months is not really enough for a deficiency to show up, if you were marginally deficient in something before going vegan - the change in diet could be causing this.

Cracked or weak nails IS a symptom of anemia. Anemia is pretty common, especially in women. Vegan women are even more susceptible. Your supplement does contain twice the RDA of iron. if is a vegan supplement - with non-heme iron - that is a good amount. Non-heme iron does not get absorbed as well. Also how and when you take your iron is important. Some foods inhibit iron absorption. Some foods increase it. Often it's suggested to take iron on an empty stomach, like before breakfast. I can't tolerate it that way. Also take it with a glass of Orange juice but Not with your cup of coffee. And just be aware that iron is not water soluble and can build up and poison you. However our bodies have sort of an idiot light or warning system. If your stools turn black and become rock hard you are getting too much iron.

It can also be an indicator of thyroid disease. the amount of people with thyroid issues and don't know it is surprising high. And it is Way more common in women. Next time you see your doctor you should ask for you to be tested. It's a simple blood test. (maybe have your iron and iodine levels checked at the same time.) Iodine is important for thyroid health and in some countries iodized salt is not mandatory. a lot of multis do contain some iodine. But it's not necessarily diet related, there are several genetic thyroid diseases that are Not rare.

A biotin supplenent might be worth trying.

That's about the amount of B12 I take. It's probably more than you need but it is definitely ok.

Last edited:
It takes months before nutritional deficiencies show symptoms.
Other changes in soaps, or habits? Using any type of solvents, like alcohol or degreasers or other cleaners? Change of weather?

Keep a focus on eating a wide variety of plant foods, esp with dark leafy greens and produce. Breads aren't needed for protein- are you thinking of complimentary amino acids? That's really not how it works, you do need all the essential amino acids but unless you're restricting whole food groups you should have no problem. Like beans and grains are the most thought of compliments, you don't need them at the same meal though

I suspect that I don't drink enough. I will try to drink more. Thank you for your hint.
Indeed, I take B12 µg. That is 200% of the recommended daily dose.
Hydration. I think hydration is both too often discussed but often ignored in real life. BTW that RDA of 6 cups a day is totally made up. there is not science behind that number. Someone made it up and it stuck, but regardless most of us don't drink enough water each day.

Also our bodies have an idiot light for that too. If your urine is dark yellow and smells - you are dehydrated.

Reactions: Emma JC