Daiya Slices

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was so excited when I found Daiya Cheddar slices at Whole Foods last night. I bought 2 packs! :sigh: And dang! I'm so disappointed. I really like the Daiya cheddar block (granted, it does NOT taste like cheddar cheese - more like Velveeta) and the Monterey Jack block but the slices seem kind of sweet and the taste is funny. Anyone else try them yet? What are your opinions? Are any of the other flavors better?

I've had Daiya shreds tossed into a salad and melted into a tortilla. I think it tastes better melted. Use it to make a quesadilla or a grilled cheese sandwich.

I like all of them, but the havarti is my favorite
Love having grilled cheese sandwiches with the cheddar

Have not seen the slices in my stores yet. Our WF is scheduled to open May 17! I'm so excited! Sounds like I won't bother with the slices.
I also liken the Daiya cheddar block to Velveeta. I mostly use the shreds, though, because they are the most readily available here.

I was so excited when I found Daiya Cheddar slices at Whole Foods last night. I bought 2 packs! :sigh: And dang! I'm so disappointed. I really like the Daiya cheddar block (granted, it does NOT taste like cheddar cheese - more like Velveeta) and the Monterey Jack block but the slices seem kind of sweet and the taste is funny. Anyone else try them yet? What are your opinions? Are any of the other flavors better?

Earlier today I read two pages of reviews on the slices and almost every review is identical to yours. Too sweet and odd tasting. Bland when eaten cold and doesn't compliment other foods well due to the sweet odd flavor . Brown rice syrup is one of the ingredients so the assumption is that is the culprit behind the sweet sugar taste. I guess it melts well though. None of them taste like their dairy counterparts from what I read. Sucks. I was really looking forward to having provolone and swiss cheeses again. Sounds like they really need to revamp their recipe formula.

-feels weird cause I'm the only person who likes the wedges. my mom does too. :eek:-

Are the Daiya cheddar slices a different recipe than the shreds?

Yep.
Here's the recipe for the shreds: (notice no brown rice syrup)
Filtered water, tapioca and /or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).

The recipe for the slices:Filtered Water, Tapioca Starch, Palm Fruit Oil, Expeller Pressed non GMO Canola Oil and/or Expeller Pressed non GMO Safflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Pea Protein Isolate, Natural Vegan Flavors, Vegetable Glycerine, Brown Rice Syrup, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid (Vegan, for flavor), Annatto (for color) Carrageenan, Titanium Dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral), Vegan Enzyme.
http://www.daiyafoods.com/our-products/cheddar-slices

-feels weird cause I'm the only person who likes the wedges. my mom does too. :eek:-

It seems like most people like the wedges. It's the slices that are the ones that are unappealing.

I like the shreds and the wedges. Hopefully, they will change the recipe for the slices.

Ew. I hate when the veg version of something is sweet, where the thing it's mimicking is not sweet. (I also hate non-fat versions that are loaded with sugar.)

Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid these and stick to the shreds.
I haven't tried the wedges. I hear everyone rave about them but they're too expensive for me.

I'm also very particular about the shreds, though, too. I love the cheddar, pepper jack is ok, but I think the mozz is gross.

I both the shreds and wedges. The wedges are softer, though, and when I can't find the cheddar shreds, it's hard to grate the wedge. I wonder if I froze it, even partially...that might work!

I honestly like the taste of the blocks better than the shreds, but the shreds sure do come in handy.
I think the blocks taste better than the shreds as well, but I like both. That's a bummer about the slices. I was looking forward to trying them. I think I will skip them for now.

I have not seen the slices around here yet. Whole Foods is too far away for me. Publix has the shreds; I like the cheddar ones but the mozzerella was disappointing. Since I was never a huge fan of cheese, I don't really have a craving for cheese like some folks do. Once in a while a grilled cheese sandwich or mac & cheese is nice though. Slices would work better for a sandwich. :D