Disagree button in more forums?

VV is a forum. People use forums to "talk" with each other. A disagree button potentially reduces discussion, thus defeating the purpose of a forum.

agree!

If someone disagrees with my views I'd want to know why and have a discussion about it. That's the whole point of a forum :p

If it wasnt VV I'd also worry about trolls. Facebook didn't add a 'dislike' button for that reason!

Reactions: Mischief
But by the same token, it's not like we won't know who hits the disagree button so we can challenge them and ask for specifics. Of course, they can decline. :D

I didn't even know that the "Disagree" button was not usable in all forums. I can't remember using it myself, although I have disagreed with people sometimes. And I wasn't surprised by the two "disagree" ratings I'm aware of having gotten.

I just feel obliged to explain when I disagree with someone, and the "disagree" doesn't serve that function. When I give a "like", "Creative", "Useful", "agree", "optimistic", "winner", I figure no explanation is necessary.

However... while we're on the subject.... I'm a little unsure as to exactly what the "Appreciation" rating is supposed to mean, although I've assumed that it's basically a sympathetic rating.

I use appreciation for sympathy, empathy,- kind of a catch all "i feel you" acknowledgement

I use appreciation for sympathy, empathy,- kind of a catch all "i feel you" acknowledgement
Yes, I think that is how it's generally used here. I'm not sure what was the intention of those who designed it. Maybe we should rename the label to 'sympathy'?

I use it not only for that, but also as a "thank you" to anyone who posts something nice or sympathetic to something I've posted, For example, "sorry you're having a bad day, hope it gets better" gets an "appreciation" upvote from me.

Yes, I think that is how it's generally used here. I'm not sure what was the intention of those who designed it. Maybe we should rename the label to 'sympathy'?
Nah. I think it works as is. It's not that hard to figure out the intent based on the post it's used for. Sympathy seems too restrictive.

We still have the emoticons.
: hug : is very appropriate and widely used for sympathy...IMO, of course.

Nah. I think it works as is. It's not that hard to figure out the intent based on the post it's used for. Sympathy seems too restrictive.

We still have the emoticons.
: hug : is very appropriate and widely used for sympathy...IMO, of course.
I concur

Reactions: KLS52
I guess I was initially a bit confused by using the term "Appreciation" when it was given in response to a post where someone mentioned a sad or unpleasant event, as opposed to when someone gave the "Appreciation" rating to an encouraging or sympathetic post.

But since it's generally understood what is meant or intended by it (even by me!), we might as well leave it as is.

Reactions: Amy SF
Right. Thanks for the feedback on this, everyone. I think there might be a case for enabling the button in a couple more forums where it might be relevant, but not elsewhere.

Edit: Now enabled in the Science & Humanities forums, Media & Entertainment, and in the mod forum.

Last edited:
So how about instead of a "disagree" button, you give us something that would allow us to express "bummer!" or "that's too bad". Right now, the only option is "appreciation". Maybe a sad face or a dark cloud to express empathy to a bad situation.

Reactions: Amy SF and Mischief