US New in the forum.

JuanMM

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Hello everyone.
I joined these forums because I am considering to become a vegan, a vegetarian at least and I need advice and opinions.
My diet is perhaps 70% vegetarian already. I consume fish and seafood, some chicken occasionally and red meat, perhaps a few times year, but I am planning to exclude it from my diet completely. Right now no lamb, duck or rabbit whatsoever. Pork, very occasionally.
I eat eggs, cheese and yogurt. Very little milk.
I am worried about the logistics of being a vegan. At home I can control more what I cook and eat. Outside is different. Sometimes you are hungry and grab the first things you see available. A sandwich, nuggets, eggs, etc.
If I travel this will be difficult since in other countries or being out of your home, you don't always have the available resources. A salad and nuts, you can find everywhere but without being able to to eats eggs or cheese or fish, it will be difficult.
I don't want to contribute to the killing and cruelty anymore, I love animals and I hurt for what they suffer being used by mankind.
I would like advice of how YOU have done it. Is hard for me to imagine that I will not be able to eat fish, salmon, eggs and seafood.
Any opinion and advice will be welcome.
Thanks. JM.

Hello everyone.
I joined these forums because I am considering to become a vegan, a vegetarian at least and I need advice and opinions.

Hello! Welcome!!
My diet is perhaps 70% vegetarian already.
That's good. but I wonder about that percent. is it by quantity? and if so, what did you use. Grams consumed? Calories? protein? Number of meals?
I like Number of meals. 70% means that 2 meals a day are vegetarian. That's a pretty low bar. but it's also a good start. (more on this later)
I consume fish and seafood, some chicken occasionally and red meat, perhaps a few times year, but I am planning to exclude it from my diet completely. Right now no lamb, duck or rabbit whatsoever. Pork, very occasionally.
Again a good start.
I eat eggs, cheese and yogurt. Very little milk.
Good start.
I am worried about the logistics of being a vegan.
It is a concern but not a big one.
At home I can control more what I cook and eat. Outside is different. Sometimes you are hungry and grab the first things you see available. A sandwich, nuggets, eggs, etc.
Being vegan does require several paradigm shifts in your thinking.

One thing - how often does that happen? And when it does happen, how hard would it be to make some vegan concessions. Putting a granola bar in your backpack seems like an easy solution.
If I travel this will be difficult since in other countries or being out of your home, you don't always have the available resources.

Again, how often does this happen? Since Plant Based Food is available everywhere this shouldn't be a big problem. Again with a paradigm shift. There are probably vegan options that you haven't even thought of.
A salad and nuts, you can find everywhere but without being able to to eats eggs or cheese or fish, it will be difficult.
Probably not as difficult as you imagine. And remember what that guy said, nothing worth doing is easy.
I don't want to contribute to the killing and cruelty anymore, I love animals and I hurt for what they suffer being used by mankind.
Nuff said. and now it's just finding a way to live in a way that is compatible with your values.
I would like advice of how YOU have done it. Is hard for me to imagine that I will not be able to eat fish, salmon, eggs and seafood.
I love to talk about my journey but its so unusual it's barely relevant.
Instead I would prefer to point you to a way that makes more sense and is tried and true.

This is the cliff notes from Colleen Patrick Goudreaux's 30 day Vegan Challenge. More about that in the link below.
First you record your meals for a week. Then circle the meals that were vegan and include them in week two. Also look at which meals that can be easily made vegan. Maybe something like by just leaving the meat out of spaghetti sauce Or replacing a product with a vegan one like vegan cream cheese on your bagel. That is your week 2 meal plan.
Use those meals as the start of Week 3. but also take out a few non-vegan meals and add a few vegan ones. These might be things you've had or made before. After week 3 just keep figuring out how to make more vegan meals. This is a process and can take a long time - but that's cool.

my. best advice is NOT to get hung up on Personal Purity. You said you were 70% vegetarian. Moving up to 80% vegan won't be too hard. And it's good for you, the environment, and especially the animals.

I wrote a lot on this subject in another thread. Check it out

Hello and welcome.
I'm vegan, but can symphatise with you, as I'm trying to establish a lifestyle that is more climate conscious. I seem to always have good excuses to buy products wrapped in plastic.

I think making a plan and following it would be a good idea.
First you gotta know what and why you eat, so that you can make a realistic plan.
Are there comfort foods that are difficult change into vegan ones? If so, do research on vegan options, try to find something similar.

And if you travel a lot, make a sandwich to take with you. You can add vegan butter and cucumber, salad, etc. It lasts several hours in your packbag. Or you can get one of those lunchboxes that keep cool, if you are out and about from morning till night.

Also, I forgot to mention... Eggs used to be my comfort food. And to be honest, it still hurts my feelings a bit that I can't eat those.
BUT. I found something similar that can kind of help.
Chickpeas. Yeah, canned, and also hummus made out of them. Yum. Delicious.

I can't give much advice but I go out quite often. I look at menu's online if available and make phone calls and online message places to ask about specifics on the menu. Often one can eat off the sides menu even if a vegan or vegetarian option is not available.
:welcome:

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I can't give much advice but I go out quite often. I look at menu's online if available and make phone calls and online message places to ask about specifics on the menu. Often one can eat off the sides menu even if a vegan or vegetarian option is not available.
:welcome:
This is what I do as well. That way, you know how to plan accordingly. For instance, over the weekend, I went with a friend to see Metallica at MetLife Stadium, and our tickets gave us access to a lounge with free food. I pretty much could guess that just about none of it would be vegan. So I had packed soy curls chik'n salad, chickpea cutlets, tortilla wraps and scones to take to the hotel to make sure I'd have enough to eat over the weekend. Also, it's a good way to save money. It worked out great! I ate a wrap before the concert, and that did the trick. I was able to eat potato chips, pickles and banana peppers at the venue, lol. All of the food pretty much amounted to appetizers/finger foods, etc.

Even though veg*nism has made great strides -- much more is available when you dine out now than, say, 15 or 20 years ago -- it still requires a change in thinking and a bit more planning.

Also, veganism opened me up to more world cuisines that are accidentally or intentionally vegan. And there are tons of YouTubers out there who run the gamut from convenience cooking to gourmet dishes. Some of my go-tos are Sweet Simple Vegan, Edgy Veg, Cheap Lazy Vegan and the Post Punk Kitchen. Tasty Bytes also has lots of meals that can be made vegan-friendly. I still use my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook and sub out what I think will work in place of non-vegan ingredients. If you're not into cooking, Sweet Simple Vegan does a lot of reviews/taste tests on vegan convenience/prepared foods. They love Trader Joe's, hehe.

Last edited:
As you say, at home you'll be fine, so start there, and do your best when out.
Look for Indian grocers and restaurants. The foil packs of ready to eat foods are really good! Tasty Bites and MTB (something like that)
Do your research before you go--and come here for any specific concerns as we have members from all over the world!
and this app-
When traveling one of those personal blenders and a powdered mix may be a help. When I first went vegan I loved Alive! Ultra shake mixed with OJ (I don't exactly have usual tastes though). There are many vegan ones to choose from of course

I think the best thing is to do your best, and not let being less than perfect cause you to not strive to be better.

welcome to the forum and congrats on your lifestyle decisions ...

you have been given a lot of great advice and so I will just add - I find it very freeing not to be able to just 'grab' something and so planning ahead makes it simple and a lot less expensive - I don't really miss eggs as I occassionally have a Just Egg patty or the liquid and for cheez I don't keep some vegan shreds in the fridge and use it on pizza and chili / bean dip - I eat a lot less when it is shredded

work your way towards your goals and if you trip up now and then, so be it... just do your best and your health, the animals and the planet will thank you!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I have to say that the #1 food that kept me vegan when my kids were small, and we were always on the go, was original Fritos. You could find Fritos anyone, gas stations, vending machines, that liitle bag would fill me up like no bag of nuts or fruit

I have to say that the #1 food that kept me vegan when my kids were small, and we were always on the go, was original Fritos. You could find Fritos anyone, gas stations, vending machines, that liitle bag would fill me up like no bag of nuts or fruit
This might be a good time to point out to @JuanMM some of the lists and videos about how easy it is to be vegan
I know PETA puts out lists of things like Accidentally Vegan products, Gas Station vegan products, and vegan holiday treats.
There are also various YouTube videos on the subject. Like the ones on
How many vegan products are at 7-11.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Thank you all for your replies and advice. Still learning how to manage the post at this forum. I will read it all and learn. All this is very encouraging. Thanks, Juan.

welcome to the forum and congrats on your lifestyle decisions ...

you have been given a lot of great advice and so I will just add - I find it very freeing not to be able to just 'grab' something and so planning ahead makes it simple and a lot less expensive - I don't really miss eggs as I occassionally have a Just Egg patty or the liquid and for cheez I don't keep some vegan shreds in the fridge and use it on pizza and chili / bean dip - I eat a lot less when it is shredded

work your way towards your goals and if you trip up now and then, so be it... just do your best and your health, the animals and the planet will thank you!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Thank you. I like most of the products that support a vegan lifestyle, now I have to learn to live without items that I like and are not vegan. :)

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Hello! Welcome!!

That's good. but I wonder about that percent. is it by quantity? and if so, what did you use. Grams consumed? Calories? protein? Number of meals?
I like Number of meals. 70% means that 2 meals a day are vegetarian. That's a pretty low bar. but it's also a good start. (more on this later)

Again a good start.

Good start.

It is a concern but not a big one.

Being vegan does require several paradigm shifts in your thinking.

One thing - how often does that happen? And when it does happen, how hard would it be to make some vegan concessions. Putting a granola bar in your backpack seems like an easy solution.

Again, how often does this happen? Since Plant Based Food is available everywhere this shouldn't be a big problem. Again with a paradigm shift. There are probably vegan options that you haven't even thought of.

Probably not as difficult as you imagine. And remember what that guy said, nothing worth doing is easy.

Nuff said. and now it's just finding a way to live in a way that is compatible with your values.

I love to talk about my journey but its so unusual it's barely relevant.
Instead I would prefer to point you to a way that makes more sense and is tried and true.

This is the cliff notes from Colleen Patrick Goudreaux's 30 day Vegan Challenge. More about that in the link below.
First you record your meals for a week. Then circle the meals that were vegan and include them in week two. Also look at which meals that can be easily made vegan. Maybe something like by just leaving the meat out of spaghetti sauce Or replacing a product with a vegan one like vegan cream cheese on your bagel. That is your week 2 meal plan.
Use those meals as the start of Week 3. but also take out a few non-vegan meals and add a few vegan ones. These might be things you've had or made before. After week 3 just keep figuring out how to make more vegan meals. This is a process and can take a long time - but that's cool.

my. best advice is NOT to get hung up on Personal Purity. You said you were 70% vegetarian. Moving up to 80% vegan won't be too hard. And it's good for you, the environment, and especially the animals.

I wrote a lot on this subject in another thread. Check it out
Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions. I saw the book in Amazon. The hardest for me will be to stop eating items that I like most, like seafood and dairy products. Some fish too.
I read somewhere and somehow I believe it, that first steps is stop eating animals with higher level of consciousness and evolution, like a cow or pig would be and I am almost at the point of achieving that. Chicken will be the last. Is horrendous the way they treat the animals in chicken farms and the way they transport them in those tiny cages.
About dairy, I would not have any problem in consuming products if not because I learned that the conditions how the treat the animals in some dairy farms, are not compassionate, but there are free range cows that live a good life in a farm, etc.
Seafood is different. They are lower level of consciousness animals and in their natural environment at the sea, shrim, plankton, krill, etc, get eaten constantly by fish and other marine animals.
I don't use it often, but I don't think that is anything wrong in eating honey. Bees live in man made honey combs and live a normal life.
Anyway, I have much to learn and I am getting there. I will be in the forum reading other post. JM

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions. I saw the book in Amazon. The hardest for me will be to stop eating items that I like most, like seafood and dairy products. Some fish too.

At the risk of sounding repititive, I think you have made a really good start.
I read somewhere and somehow I believe it, that first steps is stop eating animals with higher level of consciousness and evolution, like a cow or pig would be and I am almost at the point of achieving that.
That's great but I don't think that is a good strategy ethics-wise. There was that one philosopher guy who stated that it's not if they can talk but if they can suffer. Creating a hierarchy of animal "worthiness" is probably impossible anyway. But as far as being an intermittent step - probably no worse that any other plan,
Chicken will be the last. Is horrendous the way they treat the animals in chicken farms and the way they transport them in those tiny cages.
Yeah, in fact by that reckoning - chicken should be right at the top of the list - not the last. It's arguable but IMHO laying chickens are the most abused. And there are lots of ways to replace eggs.
About dairy, I would not have any problem in consuming products if not because I learned that the conditions how the treat the animals in some dairy farms, are not compassionate, but there are free range cows that live a good life in a farm, etc.

Leaning about Dairy was what launched me on my vegan journey. Eliminating dairy products was my first goal. Getting rid of milk, butter, and eggs are all pretty easy with all the great substitutes. the tricky part is all the bakery items made with milk, butter and eggs. When I went vegan I saved those for last.

Btw, here in America there are very few free range diary cows. In fact I don't think there are any laws or regulations on the term "free range dairy". So I would be very skeptical about anyone promoting a product that is free range dairy.

In fact, I think that discussion is moot. I personally drink a lot of soy milk. It's better for me and the environment (not to mention the cows).

Oh. I just realized you didn't mention cheese. For many people that is the hardest thing to give up. Plus alternative cheese is not that good. Did you know that cheese is addictive. And not good for you. it's almost like you need a different schedule to wean yourself off cheese.

Seafood is different. They are lower level of consciousness animals and in their natural environment at the sea, shrim, plankton, krill, etc, get eaten constantly by fish and other marine animals.
Researchers are constantly re-writing the book on animal intelligence. And moving seafood higher up the list is a good idea if for no other reason than the state of the oceans.
I don't use it often, but I don't think that is anything wrong in eating honey. Bees live in man made honey combs and live a normal life.
Anyway, I have much to learn and I am getting there. I will be in the forum reading other post. JM
Honey is sort of a gray area with me. I hardly ever buy it. We have a lot of discussions here on bees and honey. Actually I think almond milk is more detrimental to bees than honey collection.

I do like the idea of going vegan gradually and incrementally. I'm not so sure of using a process based on what kind of animal. But whatever, it's supposed to be only temporary. like I said in my earlier post I think a better gradual process would be meal- centric. Each week adding a few more vegan meals to your meal plan.

The way I did was that I was reducing meat for a while, then just decided to make the jump and cut out all meat, fish and eggs immediately in about 1 week. I was still eating cheese a month later due to not many vegan options at that time, but I cut that out a month later.

What do you think about this strategy

1 Eat 100% vegetarian in your house
2 Move to 100% vegetarian in restaurants and takeaways in your home country

I wouldn´t worry about the travel for now

It is getting easier to go vegetarian. Usually when you are looking to grab food there is often a vegetarian option even in a shop or takeaway. You could also carry food with you although it´s probably not that necessary.

Reactions: Lou and KLS52

Did you mean ?
1 Eat 100% vegetarian vegan in your house

I know people think my view is skewed, living in California, but even 20 years ago I had little trouble eating vegan in restaurants. Mostly I handle it by managing where I go. And not worrying about "contamination". But as far as I remember I only once had to ask the staff to make me something that was not on the menu - it was an Italian place - I ended up with spaghetti and olive oil with tomatoes and garlic. It was delicious.

Asian places are the best because they traditionally don't use cheese. Plus the have tofu.

I think Mexican is pretty good.
Repeat after me, "no Queso, por favor"

I meant to say vegetarian because my judgement of the OP's post is that they weren't ready to go vegan immediately and vegetarian might be an immediately achievable win. However, if I'm wrong and they can go vegan right away, awesome.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I didn't worry about cutting anything out, I focused on exploring the world of plant-based foods. That way it became a pleasure rather than a punishment. Traveling is a more difficult thing and I would recommend not worrying about it for now. Focus on enjoying exploring new foods at home and watch an inspirational vegan video first thing every morning to set your desires in the right place for the day. Most importantly, don't kick yourself if you slip up.

Good luck. :)

Welcome to the board, @JuanMM ! I became pescatarian back in 1968, and had originally planned to stay that way- but I kept finding things out and moving further. I had never imagined that I would no longer be drinking milk regularly, but I'm strict vegetarian now. I took each step as I was ready for it.

Eating out can present its own set of problems; some people concentrate on following their veg*nism carefully at home than when they're eating out. But I have noticed that vegetarian and even vegan options are more common than they were a few years ago.