How do you deal with ex-vegans?

deadknight

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This question keeps bothering me.

I really don't want to sound too negative or hurtful, but former vegans usually make me annoyed - because for me, veganism is more than something I'd temporarily put on.
I would not say "it's a lifelong engagement", because I don't even feel I've been engaged into anything. I just think this is what should be the norm. Not hurting animals. Not keeping them in captivity. Not exploiting them in any way. Not killing them when they aren't profitable any more. Not thinking our 10 minutes of enjoyment worth more than an animal's life of 8 weeks.

Now, I am trying my best to be careful and avoid rudeness, but I admit I can get really impatient when people give up veganism and use the cheapest excuses you could think of. I really don't know what to do.
I think you guys have heard many of these excuses.
Symptoms of deficiency - because taking the efforts to plan a really good vegan diet and doing some research about necessary supplements would be too demanding; claiming "this is just not for me" and using their blood group or Zodiac sign or MBTI personality type or anything in that direction to justify their quitting veganism; or doing the usual mental gymnastic by stating "there are many better ways of showing compassion to animals than not killing them", or "I go back to eating meat, eggs and dairy but I always, always buy from eco-bio shiny-happy rainbow farms where the animals are literally cuddled to death" and so on.

What annoys me most - I wonder if it's appropriate to mention it here? - is when people first announce their going vegan on social media, they tend to be vegan activists for a while, then they post about how they're not vegan anymore and give a detailed explanation on why they are no longer vegans.
This latter always makes me a bit sceptical or suspicious. Why do they feel the need of explaining themselves? Maybe they have some bad conscience about their decision and try to justify it to their followers?

The other thing I don't quite get is how "being a former vegan" might be the part of some people's identity. A cattle breeder calling themselves an "ex-vegan animal scientist" and the like. Sorry what? I don't find identifying myself as an "ex-carnist, ex-speciesist" necessary.

Yes I used to eat meat. Yes I used to be a vegetarian who believed giving up eating corpses was enough.
(Oh yes, I saw the very same when going vegetarian was a temporary trend.
I heard people say "I used to be a vegetarian but now I am back to eating meat because my SO needs meat", or - my ultimate favourite - "I used to be a vegetarian but later, at the cooking school, we had to taste everything".
My standard excuse for quitting vegetarianism is still "I used to be a vegetarian too but I recognized going vegan was the very best thing I could do.")

But I don't think what I used to be would define what I am - as of to-day.
Could somebody please explain to me how being an ex-something gives you an identity?

Sorry if this turned out to be an inconsistent rant. I hope I didn't violate any community rules, but I really need some advice on how not to get angry, what to do when you feel incredibly sad about this tendency, and how to react in a way that's not hurtful?

I think you have to be a little careful on who you put in the former vegan bucket.
Yeah the people who completely do a 180 are fucked up.
but in some cases its like they were never 100% and want to stop using the label for honesty.
or maybe they were 100% and got to the point that they didn't see the harm to dialing it down to 90%, but felt they could no longer call themselves vegan.
And lots of other cases like those

I think you have to be a little careful on who you put in the former vegan bucket.
Yeah the people who completely do a 180 are fucked up.
but in some cases its like they were never 100% and want to stop using the label for honesty.
or maybe they were 100% and got to the point that they didn't see the harm to dialing it down to 90%, but felt they could no longer call themselves vegan.
And lots of other cases like those
I think I get what you mean.
There are people who do try their best, they just think they cannot call themselves vegans because occasionally, they happen to buy products that are not 100% vegan, or sometimes they get something to eat with egg or milk powder or any other animal ingredients in it... That's another question.
However, my concerns are about those who explicitly go back to carnism.

It's like religion - apostasy gets our goat because we feel the "guilty" party should know better but in reality, we can't possibly know why they found it too difficult to continue and for all we know, we could be next. Best not to judge!

nope. oh you are thinking of post #4. check out post #2.
Oh that's what you mean! You can still edit your entry I guess.
It's like religion - apostasy gets our goat because we feel the "guilty" party should know better but in reality, we can't possibly know why they found it too difficult to continue and for all we know, we could be next. Best not to judge!
You see, I do not put veg*anism in the same category as religion - even if I have seen people use veganism as a mean to replace religion. This is why I wouldn't judge anyone. However, I couldn't imagine any realistic scenario that would force me to give up veganism for the rest of my life.

I was talking about people who obviously made up excuses and explain why they "had to" give up vegetarianism or veganism, while all their excuses were really transparent.

Reactions: VeganRachel
It saddens me a bit, too. But I was thinking about this over the past few days because I read about it here or on another website. I believe it's true that some people do "give up" veganism... but I also suspect that some people investigate something by "trying it out", and decide later that this isn't for them. A friend of mine on another website used to say that if someone claims to be a "former vegan", they never were vegan to begin with.

It saddens me a bit, too. But I was thinking about this over the past few days because I read about it here or on another website. I believe it's true that some people do "give up" veganism... but I also suspect that some people investigate something by "trying it out", and decide later that this isn't for them. A friend of mine on another website used to say that if someone claims to be a "former vegan", they never were vegan to begin with.
Yes, you're saying something here. Trying something out is not the same as being involved. You can go to metal shows and look like an appropriate metalhead, but if the music does not touch you, this will be just a phase for you, and calling yourself a "former metalhead" will not make you very popular.

I do agree with this friend of yours. If somebody is really vegan, they'll stay vegan for a lifetime. There might occur situations when they have no other choice than having something non-vegan (medicine, hygiene products, or if there's really that lack of food choices... whatsoever), but as soon as it's possible, they are going to switch back to vegan options.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention: I wouldn't hold it against someone if they're making a solid effort to be vegan or strict vegetarian, but either give in to a craving occasionally or slip up- like I slipped up today when I had an Impossible Whopper but forgot to ask them to hold the mayonnaise. Even if I had remembered before I finished it, I would not have seen any point in throwing the food out: the damage was done. I'm not going to beat myself up for it- but I'm not going to make light of it or try to say it doesn't matter, either.

I forgot to mention: I wouldn't hold it against someone if they're making a solid effort to be vegan or strict vegetarian, but either give in to a craving occasionally or slip up- like I slipped up today when I had an Impossible Whopper but forgot to ask them to hold the mayonnaise. Even if I had remembered before I finished it, I would not have seen any point in throwing the food out: the damage was done. I'm not going to beat myself up for it- but I'm not going to make light of it or try to say it doesn't matter, either.
And also claim you're not vegan anymore.

OK- I went to Impossible Foods' website, and their burger patty (which is what is used in the Impossible Whopper) is what I would call vegan. The only questionable ingredient is "Soy Leghemoglobin (genetically modified)". But I'm OK with it for the time being. I'll remember to ask them to leave off the mayonnaise from now on; I don't get them that often.

Reactions: Lou
Such small accidents might happen, especially when you are a newbeginner.

What, they don't have vegan mayo? Shocking! They should.
Very good that you don't try to bagatellize this mayo incident - yes, next time you're going to be more careful, but beating yourself up for it would not do any good.
I remember how I left meat out gradually. After giving up meat in everyday life - no stews or steaks for dinner, no ham or salami on my sandwiches, no fish - on very rare occasions I still ended up in some fast food place with one or another burger menu. This happened sporadically, and after a while I didn't even got tempted to walk into any fast food feeding station.
The solid effort is what counts. If you have in mind that you are going to make the transition, you will encounter these accidents less - and even less - often, until they stop occurring at all. It's really about the mindset.

Reactions: Lou
here in california, no mayo is the default on an impossible burger. you have to ask for it.
and to get the $3 Wednesday whopper you have to order it thru the app.
on the app a regular whopper is the default so you need to do an extra step to get the impossible. but no extra step to get it without mayo.

• Informative
Reactions: silva and PTree15
here in california, no mayo is the default on an impossible burger. you have to ask for it.
and to get the $3 Wednesday whopper you have to order it thru the app.
on the app a regular whopper is the default so you need to do an extra step to get the impossible. but no extra step to get it without mayo.
I really thought we didn't have the impossible whoppers here,, but I looked them up and we do! And even have $3 wed! Now I wish I'd known yesterday 😝
I think I even like BK fries. If there was one by work I'd like to go.

Reactions: deadknight
I really thought we didn't have the impossible whoppers here,, but I looked them up and we do! And even have $3 wed! Now I wish I'd known yesterday 😝
If you want the Wednesday whopper you have to download the app and then set it up. only takes a couple of minutes.
Then when you order make sure you click on the "customize order" and switch it to the Impossible. And sign up for rewards. every once in a while you will be able to get some free fries.
They also have a contest right now and if you enter you can get one free whopper on any day of the week. I tried entering the contest but I couldn't get it done. might be a bug.

I stop in there on Wednesdays when I'm coming home and go thru the drive thru. I actually order in the car when I'm in line.

Don't go every Wednesday but go about once or twice a month.

I remember I used to like 'em, but read somewhere they couldn't guarantee the oil to be completely vegan. Is that true?

I remember I used to like 'em, but read somewhere they couldn't guarantee the oil to be completely vegan. Is that true?
In the early testing stages the FDA required Impossible to test some ingredient on rats. That's all I know about vegan considerations
At Burger King they are cooked on shared grill unless you ask for them to be microwaved. This doesn't bother me (If I don't taste it)
As to the testing, it's in the past and I feel the benefit of having a product that appeals to the masses outweighs it