Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi,
TW: Vampirism, blood, sex, bdsm, kink.
This is something that I have been struggling with recently. I might go vegan, but I am also a huge vampire goth.
Anyhow, I am not an awakened vampire yet, but there is actually a real-life vampire subculture, which I am interested in. Anyhow, the members actually identify as real sanguinarian (blood-drinking) or psychic vampires (or psy vamps/vampires for short), either feeding on the blood from consenting adult donors (this can be done using sterilised equipment, needles and wipes to cleanse the areas, etc) or feeding the mental energy of a consenting donor. It is a very spiritual thing for them and is a big part of their identity. Some vampires also report feeling ill if they don’t feed. The feeding is often done under strict ethical and safety-based guidelines.
It is a world away from the horrific abuse and killing that farmed animals go through, but yet most people consider the consumption of blood in these strictly ethical ways to be way less acceptable than the actual torture and abuse that animals go through. 🤨 🤷‍♀️
Anyhow, my personal point of view is that, even though the blood/energy is technically an animal product, it is, in fact, in line with a vegan ethos, much like breastfeeding, as it is done with consenting donors, the donor’s rights are highly valued, the feeding is done with only a small amount of pain, they live free, they know what they’re getting into and are well within their rights to stop it if ever they no longer want to do it, whereas the animals do not consent to anything that is done to them in animal ag and are actually slaughtered, and they don’t live free.
However, some vegans may say that this can never be vegan as it still involves using someone else for sustenance.
Could a real-life vampire still be a vegan (no other animal products) if they loved/valued animals and their rights and cared about ethics but still consumed blood/energy in line with those strict ethics?
I mean, is it much different from consensual but painful sex, e.g bdsm, kink, etc?
Please don’t be mean, abusive or judgy. If you are opposed to this, please still be polite, kind and civil. Any angry, judgy or mean comments could get reported.

• Informative
Reactions: Rohan
Could a real-life vampire still be a vegan (no other animal products) if they loved/valued animals and their rights

Wow ... ok ... no judgement here.

What you're explaining sounds compatible with veganism to me because it's a spiritual belief practiced by consenting adults, as you say.

No animals, human or otherwise, are forced into something they don't want to do. So I think if you're doing the best to be vegan in the other areas of your life then you're vegan, plain and simple.

Mod Post: Please be aware that drinking either human or animal blood can cause serious health risks.

"Drinking blood could increase the risk of particular medical conditions.

Bloodborne illnesses

As with raw meat, blood can contain harmful bacteria and pathogens that can cause food poisoning and pass on diseases such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, norovirus, or HIV.

Most people don’t have access to the testing resources required to ensure that the blood does not contain contaminants."

I don't think this is a healthy thing to do.

You see, I am a darkly inclined person with a great thing for everything dark, spooky, sometimes even brutal - but I can tell fantasy and weird interests from reality.
Yes I do have an interest in myths about vampires, yes I got really fascinated by the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula's story (where Vlad Tepes becomes a vampire after drinking a mixture of wine and the blood of his beloved wife who'd taken her own life after she got the - fake - news about Vlad's death) but these are - myths and we are living in 2024!

If someone finds drinking blood a genuinely spiritual thing, they should absolutely seek professional help. If you experience any fulfillment when drinking blood, then you do have a problem. The same goes for consenting donors.

Everyone who's doing such things should talk to a doctor or a therapist.

If somebody is really longing for spiritual experiences, there are many other, healthier means to achieve this kind of feeling.

Interesting article ... The people who drink human blood - BBC Future

“I know that if a patient came to me with this issue as a complaint or was worried about the practice, my first response as a psychiatrist would be to assess for psychosis since the practice is so far outside of culturally normally done behavior,” he says. Still, he would keep an open mind ...

I don't think this is a healthy thing to do.

You see, I am a darkly inclined person with a great thing for everything dark, spooky, sometimes even brutal - but I can tell fantasy and weird interests from reality.
Yes I do have an interest in myths about vampires, yes I got really fascinated by the Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula's story (where Vlad Tepes becomes a vampire after drinking a mixture of wine and the blood of his beloved wife who'd taken her own life after she got the - fake - news about Vlad's death) but these are - myths and we are living in 2024!

If someone finds drinking blood a genuinely spiritual thing, they should absolutely seek professional help. If you experience any fulfillment when drinking blood, then you do have a problem. The same goes for consenting donors.

Everyone who's doing such things should talk to a doctor or a therapist.

If somebody is really longing for spiritual experiences, there are many other, healthier means to achieve this kind of feeling.
It is a personal choice, and discrimination against the vampire community is not okay. If they are happy and mentally sane and otherwise healthy individuals partaking in this as a spiritual/cultural practice, or based off of choice from belief in vampirism and vampires, leave them alone as long as they are not taking from non-consenting individuals, harming or killing anyone, and as long as they are practicing good safety when doing so…

It is a personal choice, and discrimination against the vampire community is not okay. If they are happy and mentally sane and otherwise healthy individuals partaking in this as a spiritual/cultural practice, or based off of choice from belief in vampirism and vampires, leave them alone as long as they are not taking from non-consenting individuals, harming or killing anyone, and as long as they are practicing good safety when doing so…
I just don't get your point.
If you really think it's a personal choice, then why bother asking others' opinions about it?
I really wonder how my stating it's not healthy is discrimination. You asked the forum community's opinion about the matter, and now you want people to leave you blood-drinkers alone if any of us thinks it to be very unhealthy?

Anytime you come in contact with blood you're risking infection that could be simple, or deadly. Just because it's someone you know & trust, or someone who's recently been tested, it's a risk. In any job where you interact with others and objects you should regularly be reminded of safety practices.