Animal Rights Domesticated Animals: What Are The Options?

I was reading a very pro-rescue dog forum and even some people involved in rescuing animals on there said they would get a dog from a breeder to get a particular breed.:rolleyes:

People should have realised by now that mongrels are generally healthier and sturdier than pedigrees, and that there are NO guarantees about doggie personalities because they're a certain breed. It's sad.

In reality, that point of view has no effect on my life. I still think adopting pets is a great thing to do, just that it's wrong to breed them. I still think that stricter policies on owning pets is the right thing to do in the here and now, and I think there are a lots of other, immediate, problems that are more important than my idealistic view that ultimately we shouldn't have pets. Including breeding "pure breed" animals with inherent disorders, over population of rescues (and the need for more adopting and more neutering), cruelty to animals, etc.

I agree, start small with the biggest issues. There was a TV programme here which exposed a lot of the awful things going on in dog breeding and exposed The Kennel Club and Crufts for what they are. I do think it changed a lot of people's views on dog breeding but I don't know if it's had any actual impact on the numbers of pedigrees vs. mongrels adopted/bought. It would be interesting to know. Sadly I think what it did was promote "responsible breeding" which to me is always an oxymoron.

But is it worth bringing animals into the world who will be abused or neglected in order to give others a happy life? If we stop breeding them they will simply never exist, so nobody has missed out and nobody is at risk of harm.

I don't think it would be a sad thing for cows (or any other domesticated species) to go extinct. They aren't part of a natural food chain and wouldn't have the same disastrous impact on other species as a wild animal species dying out. The only people it would affect would be humans, and it would affect us for the better. Individuals and their lives matter much more to me than a species.
(bold emphasis mine) This wouldn't be a consideration as far as the species going extinct is concerned; as I see it, a species exists for itself. If another species that routinely ate this species' individuals went extinct, that would be no more of a reason to preserve this species than humans no longer being able to use the species, either.

I was thinking in terms of the animals themselves. Many domesticated dogs and cats have really loveable personalities. But of course, you're right: if an animal never exists in the first place, that's not the same as killing one who does exist. I admit I would mourn somewhat if no cats like my former cats Peasant, Fluffy, Ripkin, Riley, Crystal, and others would ever exist again. On the other hand, cats being born today aren't replacements for any of them. I was pushed into adopting Riley years ago, a month after Ripkin passed, and it was difficult because I was still missing Ripkin. I actually forced myself to be more affectionate to Riley than I initially felt like being because I knew I was having trouble warming up to him, and knew the reason why. He was a good cat and I knew it wasn't his fault I was having difficulty. (We soon hit it off.)

(bold emphasis mine) This wouldn't be a consideration as far as the species going extinct is concerned; as I see it, a species exists for itself. If another species that routinely ate this species' individuals went extinct, that would be no more of a reason to preserve this species than humans no longer being able to use the species, either.

Sure, my point was that the only impact their extinction would be have would be on themselves (no potential to suffer abuse/neglect) and humans. It wouldn't affect other animals. I think it IS a consideration when wild animals are endangered, to think of their impact on local ecosystems.

Up until 3 years ago i had companion animals for most of my life, then my last cat died, and since then I have had no more. I live alone now and i feel very lonley at times, without my animal friends. I know some people will say i would do better to have affection toward humans and share my home with them instead. However humans have not been kind to me and i value my privacy . There are problems with keeping animals as companions dogs and cats eat meat and cause in the death of other animals. I hate to see caged animal like mice or birds and so will not have them.Yet it was because of my love for dogs and cats, that i gradually grew, to care for all creatures and became a vegan. The animals also gave me friendship in what was a very loney childhood.

I agree with ledboots.

Also, while I too do not like to see animals caged, I live with eleven parrots. There is a growing problem with homeless birds (avian shelters' resources are stretched, to the extent many/most can't take any more birds in). I can provide these birds with more than a shelter can. A couple of mine live cage free, and most of the others with minimal cage time.

While neither I nor anyone else can provide them with what they would have had if they had been born free and allowed to live free, for these individuals, life is better than what they have had, or could have at a shelter.

They do require very specialized care, and live for a long time, so it's best to educate oneself and be prepared for the extent and the length of the commitment.

Reactions: SummerRain