Embedded video and audio attachments

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Edit: PLEASE NOTE: THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN DISCARDED. (Another solution is being investigated.)

Ever wanted to upload a video directly to VV and display it in a thread the same way Youtube videos are displayed, i.e. embedded? Here is a short video tutorial by yours truly.

Note that this also works with other audio and video formats such as .mp3, .wav, .ogg, and .ogv.

(Note that I think you need to have a recent and decent browser to view this video and these kinds of embedded media formats.)

(Further note that the maximum file size is 4Mb.)

Edit: Found to be working in Firefox 30 and Chrome 35 on Linux. Not working in Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7 or Chrome on iOS 7. Audio only in Chrome 36 on Spang's computer. (Mac?)

Attachments

• video-embedding-5.ogv
    2 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Ha...can't get the tutorial to open, lol. :)

Decided to test it out anyway. It says unavailable but if you click on it, it works. :)

Reactions: Dedalus
Hmm, I think this needs some further work, maybe... Seems to work fine for me in both Firefox 30 and Chrome 35, but it's not working in the Android browser or the Chrome version on our tablet.

KLS, you cheated and uploaded a video to an external site! :) Very cute kittens though!

Cool if someone can let me know of successes or failures in various browsers. The bonus is you get to hear my beautiful voice in the clip if you can make it work ... :p

It's not really cheating when you don't know what you're doing! Lol I uploaded it directly from my phone. I thought that was the point? In the past, I wasn't able to do that...I had to save my videos to YouTube first then post the embed link. But this time the option to upload was there, to take the video directly from the phone.

Eta: I have an iPhone.

It's not really cheating when you don't know what you're doing! Lol I uploaded it directly from my phone. I thought that was the point? In the past, I wasn't able to do that...I had to save my videos to YouTube first then post the embed link. But this time the option to upload was there, to take the video directly from the phone.

Eta: I have an iPhone.
Did you use Tapatalk? That works entirely differently .... I suppose that could explain how your video ended up on Vimeo.

Edit: I am glad you managed to upload the video fairly painlessly though. That is kinda the point, I have to admit.

Reactions: KLS52
Aha! I keep forgetting I do use Tapatalk.

There's supposed to be video, but I'm not seeing it.

Browser is Chrome 36
Video exported from Final Cut Pro 7 as MP4
Raw footage filmed with iPhone 5s
Audio works.

Last edited:
Additionally, neither video nor audio work on Chrome for iOS 7--it's just a black rectangle.

*added*

Both video and audio work in Safari 7.

Last edited:
Thanks, Spang. It really depends on the extent to which the browser supports HTML5. Hopefully, all browsers will soon support it fully, but at the moment that is clearly not the case. I will look into other solutions in the meantime.

Last edited:
@Spang, looks like your video is not using h.264 video compression. It might work with that.

Anyway, I'm looking into a better solution altogether.

This one works for me in Chrome 36.

Attachments

• Test Video Video 2.mp4
    93.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer
Thought I'd try it without Tapatalk. Doesn't work at all from Safari with the iPhone. Yet the video I posted earlier shows perfectly but I can't access anything Spang posted or the tutorial.

It looks like mp4 is supposed to be supported by recent versions of all three major browsers (FireFox, Chrome and Internet Exploder), and Safari, but not Opera. I think the first video Spang posted wasn't using the most common mp4 video compression, which is why that didn't work. My video is using a different format altogether which is apparently only supported by recent versions of FireFox.

If we are going to use this particular feature, I might restrict the accepted video formats to mp4 only.

Thanks for helping with the testing!

Edit: mp4 videos need to use h.264 for video and AAC for audio.

Last edited:
if people want to watch embedding emails, I think that is ok.....but maybe it should only be in the adult section.

Spang's latest video works for me in Firefox 30 and Chrome 35 on Linux, but not in Firefox 30 on Windows 2008 ...

Thought I'd try it without Tapatalk. Doesn't work at all from Safari with the iPhone. Yet the video I posted earlier shows perfectly but I can't access anything Spang posted or the tutorial.
My admin eyes are telling me you're using Safari version 6.0 which is not the most recent, but should still work I thought, but then it's on an iPhone and not a laptop, so that could be different.

Overall, I think this is just not the right approach at this moment in time, since the support for HTML5 video is still so hit-and-miss.

There is another way, which I will now investigate further.

Reactions: KLS52