Falafel?

RascalsMom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but until a few days ago, I had never tried Falafel! I bought some pre-packaged at Kroger the other day because it was on sale.

I wasn't sure if I would like them, but they aren't bad. They are just missing something. What are your favorite ways to eat falafel? What are some sauces that go well with them?

I'm sure different brands taste different. I think I had veggiepatch... but I'm kinda drawing a blank! I know I've seen veggiepatch brand prepackaged, and I'm pretty sure that's the one I got. It was in a clear white tub.

I prefer to make my own/have freshly made ones to prepackaged (although the cauldron ones are quite nice). I like to eat them in a wrap with salad and hummus.

Falafel is one of those things that I want to like but I just can't. :( There is something in them that I really don't like...not sure if it's cilantro. I keep thinking I want to try and make them myself, that way I can control the spices. I just haven't gotten around to it. They just always look so darned good!

Practically every falafel I've had has been different!
I don't think I've had frozen. I've made from mixes that were good.
I always felt safe ordering falafel until I a mideastern style chain restaurant opened near me. (Aladdins). It wasn't good. I found out it had cilantro!!!! I hate, hate, hate cilantro-it does not belong in falafel!
Trader joes frozen falafel has cilantro!
A real mideastern restaurant, that's not near, has great falafel. It's light inside, and served in a pita with pickled something (I think radish) and a cucumber yogurt dressing on the side (tzaziki-SP?)
I've made it before by soaking garbanzos for a least a day, then grinding them and mixing with spices and some olive oil. You can fry or bake.
Soy or almond yogurt is a good side with it, with the cukes on the pita!
Those pickled radishes really do it justice.
Here's a good recipe- I use coriander seeds, so I use about 2T. I also add curry and tumeric.
http://humus101.com/EN/2007/03/13/an-easy-falafel-recipe/

Falafel is one of those things that I want to like but I just can't. :( There is something in them that I really don't like...not sure if it's cilantro. I keep thinking I want to try and make them myself, that way I can control the spices. I just haven't gotten around to it. They just always look so darned good!
SEE! It's that damm cilantro! I never ran across cilantro until the last few years. Now I've learned to ask before I return meals, or throw away! That stupid Taco Bell has a "fresco" menu that's vegan. Good huh? NO! I got a burrito I almost spit across the room! Found out (here) it had cilantro! What's next, tabboleh made with cilantro instread of parsley? :woo::eek:!
Call ahead. Not all places use it, just make sure you ask about cilantro AND coriander leaves, or plant.

I love falafel so much! They are best homemade, eaten fresh - otherwise they can be a bit dry. I like eating them on their own or with salad & some kind of dip or houmous (mmmm, more chickpeas.)

I agree that they're all different; it just depends what herbs and spices are used. The frozen ones are never good! Like AF said, the cauldron mini ones are the best packaged ones I've tasted. :)

The ones I've gotten from Mediterranean restaurants have been the best.
I've never been able to successfully make them myself, they always fall apart. :(

I love falafel and I usually make my own. I, too, love them in a pita but with pickles, olives, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. I make a dressing of Vegenaise and Srirachi sauce because I like a little kick to them. The recipe I use for the falafel comes from The Joy of Cooking. I just sub out the egg with egg replacer.

Making your own falafel is inferior in quality to those that you buy.

Cheaper though.

Freshly made falafel is much nicer than the shop bought variety IMO. I like the falafel you can get in Lebanese restaurants.:lick: I don't think I've ever tried to make it myself.

Ive never tried it either, its something that looks like it needs a good sauce on it, dry and not at all suited for sandwich life.

I love falafel and I usually make my own. I, too, love them in a pita but with pickles, olives, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. I make a dressing of Vegenaise and Srirachi sauce because I like a little kick to them. The recipe I use for the falafel comes from The Joy of Cooking. I just sub out the egg with egg replacer.
I learned to cook in my mom's kitchen with the Joy of Cooking, and I still use it and veganize like mad! I will check out the falafel recipe! :)

I really liked falafel I've eaten at restaurants... but the Cauldron ones I find unbearably dry. Some other ready made ones are okay, but only restaurant ones I've tried have been really yummy. I've never made my own though, no idea why! Does anybody have a good recipe? :)