News FDA decides Hampton Creek's Just Mayo is mayo after all

I thought I heard that they had tried in the past and failed. Hopefully, this one is good, although I won't be buying it no matter how cheap it is. I'm going to stick with just mayo.

Reactions: ledboots
Let me tell you someting - I would be happy about any kind of vegan mayonnaise, even if sold by a non-vegan company, where I live. Yes, sometimes they do have Plamill in one shop (until I come by and clear out the shelves)

I was so happy to find a shop that has Praise Original 99 % Fat-Free which is accidentally vegan, although I do not care very much for its taste. So I normally make my own.

I doubt that Tesco will stock Just Mayo anytime soon, but they might stock a vegan Hellmans, so I would get that, if they do.

Let me tell you someting - I would be happy about any kind of vegan mayonnaise, even if sold by a non-vegan company, where I live.

Exactly my attitude. Glad a massive company is making one - might mean that vegan mayo is more widely stocked and used.

But I'll be sticking with Plamil.

(I say I'll be sticking with it - I don't even like mayo. But my husband's been using egg-free mayo for years, says it's better than the eggy stuff.)

Just Mayo is certainly the gold standard when I make tofu faux egg salad and Chickpea of the Sea, but when I want a topping for other sandwiches, my go to is Veganaise Chipotle by Follow Your Heart. That stuff is sooo good.

I'm conflicted though on the Hellmans. I hate what they tried to do to Just Mayo and many of the other products that Unilever makes and sells, but I do want to encourage them and others to come out with more vegan foods (and they claim that it will be non-GMO).

Just Mayo is certainly the gold standard when I make tofu faux egg salad and Chickpea of the Sea, but when I want a topping for other sandwiches, my go to is Veganaise Chipotle by Follow Your Heart. That stuff is sooo good.

I'm conflicted though on the Hellmans. I hate what they tried to do to Just Mayo and many of the other products that Unilever makes and sells, but I do want to encourage them and others to come out with more vegan foods (and they claim that it will be non-GMO).
This is very very good...
dac3cb7cd47f70b80071d30e7f374218.jpg

I haven't seen that before, ledboots, but I'm sure you are right that it will be tasty when I finish off my jar of Veganaise and try it.

I also make my own using organic ingredients (rapeseed oil, lemon juice or cider vinegar, French mustard and soy milk ) and just for a few pennies :

View attachment 8478
I too often make my own mayonnaise. I have tried it with soymilk and oil/vinegar, and I have made a tofu version, and several nut based versions (cashew is my favorite and my go to but I have also made an almond based mayonnaise). Avocado mayo is another one i have made and it works nicely for potato salad.

It used to be only the specialty health stores sold vegan mayo where I live, so for a long time I made my own because I didn't want to make the trek across town to get it. Then I started seeing Vegannaise appearing in mainstream groceries, and then Just Mayo arrived. My partner, who is omni, loves Just Mayo so much more than Hellmans and specifically buys it for himself. But he likes my homemade mayo the best (or he's just saying that so I don't rip his head off lol).

I too often make my own mayonnaise. I have tried it with soymilk and oil/vinegar, and I have made a tofu version, and several nut based versions (cashew is my favorite and my go to but I have also made an almond based mayonnaise). Avocado mayo is another one i have made and it works nicely for potato salad.

It used to be only the specialty health stores sold vegan mayo where I live, so for a long time I made my own because I didn't want to make the trek across town to get it. Then I started seeing Vegannaise appearing in mainstream groceries, and then Just Mayo arrived. My partner, who is omni, loves Just Mayo so much more than Hellmans and specifically buys it for himself. But he likes my homemade mayo the best (or he's just saying that so I don't rip his head off lol).

I also really like cashew cream however the latter are so expensive that I seldom buy them. I particularly like cashew cream with pasta or leeks.

I've never bought store mayonnaise because I'm not keen on the taste or the price. It only takes a few seconds to make a small batch when you need some. Furthermore I'm not a huge fan of mayonnaise on everything.

I'm always amazed by the number of jars and bottles of sauces and dressings that people have in their fridge.:D

I used to be anti sauce and dressings partly due to chronic digestive problems I had years ago, and later because of an eating disorder. I don't generally slather mayo on everything, and in fact it is a very occasional treat for me (and I still have a fear of the calories, but am trying to overcome that), but I find it amazing as a vegan all the ways one can make sauces and dressings with just simple plant foods. For exaxmple:

cauliflower alfredo sauce
carrot sauce
tahini lemon dressing
tofu sweet potato "cheese" sauce
orange dijon spicy dressing
homemade salsa or tomato sauce
chia jam (with just chia seeds, maple syrup, fresh or frozen fruit)

I still tend to limit myself to dishes with mayonnaise in them to once per week or less (usually more like once or twice per month), but sometimes mayonnaise makes a big difference in something like potato salad or cold macaroni salad or chickpea salad sandwiches, or a mayo/yogurt lemon sauce over homemade veggie patties or roasted vegetable subs. I'm definltey not going to feel bad about buying occasional commercial vegan mayonnaise to enjoy, and I love that vegan friendly commercial products are helping to sway omnivores who would otherwise eat more plant based foods but are overwhelmed with the thought of making everything from scratch or spending a fortune on designer food.