French Fries! (what you call chips in the UK)

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
French fries! Chips! A potato by any other name would still be yummarific. :) :drool:

We love 'em. We hate 'em. We can't live with 'em, we can't live without 'em.

Where is it safe to eat french fries? (or chips?) Which restaurants do 'em up right and make them veg friendly? Which restaurants make them verboten to veg*ans?

And has anyone ever made their own?

Nearly forgot to mention: Two vegan restaurant chains here in the US make sweet potato fries that are out of this world scrumptious: Native Foods and the Veggie Grill. I'm dying just thinking about them now. :drool:

I prefer cottage style fries and oh sweet potato fries. We do have a mcdonalds but I never, ever eat anything there. The rest are local eateries, the one that makes the cottage fries does so from scratch, the rest I suspect all come from Sysco. It may be worth looking into Sysco fries as they IIRC are the largest restaurant supplier.

Chips are delicious, I prefer chips to fries (chips are thick, fries are thin) but if it's potato-y and deep fat fried I'm all in whatever the shape. :D

Las Iguanas do cassava fries, cassava is pretty bland but these are sort of bread crumbed and they taste really good. Who knows what they do to them.

I love fried potatoes no matter what they are called and I make my own on occasion. I just slice up a potato and fry with peel on.... so good! AFAIK McDonald's fries still have beef fat in them and I never go there anyway. I think BK fries are vegan but I don't know about other places. I tend to go to websites and look at the nutrition of items I have a question about on a case by case basis.

Reactions: Poppy
I love fries. I don't care about sweet potato fries, though. They're ok but I don't think they live up to the current hype over them.

I hate tater tots but like potato crowns (the flat, disc-shaped tots).

I love chips.:lick: This thread is making me crave a chip butty (sandwich) I prefer the thick cut, traditional ones you get in chip shops but I occasionally crave the thin ones too.

Two vegan restaurant chains here in the US make sweet potato fries that are out of this world scrumptious: Native Foods and the Veggie Grill. I'm dying just thinking about them now. :drool:

There is a vegetarian restaurant in Soho, London that makes lovely sweet potato fries.

Las Iguanas do cassava fries, cassava is pretty bland but these are sort of bread crumbed and they taste really good. Who knows what they do to them.

There used to be a veg restaurant near me that did delicious cassava fries but they closed down.:(

LOOOOVE fries. And potato chips, too (what you call crisps in the UK)- especially unsalted so that great potato flavor isn't lost under all the salt.

I've been thinking about acrylamides, though, and sometimes boil my potatoes instead. But one thing I do: I scrub whole potatoes off, coarsely grate them, and fry them over low heat with a little oil on a non-stick skillet. (I don't have any pet birds, who could be poisoned by teflon fumes if it got too hot- but like I said, I cook over low heat anyway.)

How much does anyone want to bet that, soon, some study will discover that frying potatoes over low heat on a non-stick fry pan is bad for you too??!!

I rarely ever eat chips! But I do like big chunky proper chip shop chips, with lots of salt & vinegar & maybe ketchup too. :eek:

LOOOOVE fries. And potato chips, too (what you call crisps in the UK)- especially unsalted so that great potato flavor isn't lost under all the salt.

I've been thinking about acrylamides, though, and sometimes boil my potatoes instead. But one thing I do: I scrub whole potatoes off, coarsely grate them, and fry them over low heat with a little oil on a non-stick skillet. (I don't have any pet birds, who could be poisoned by teflon fumes if it got too hot- but like I said, I cook over low heat anyway.)

How much does anyone want to bet that, soon, some study will discover that frying potatoes over low heat on a non-stick fry pan is bad for you too??!!

Go get yourself a cast iron pan. :p

Fries are probably my favorite food on the planet. I so love them, thick, thin, whatever. I douse them in malt vinegar and salt and then add a touch of pepper.

Reactions: Grayveggie
Sweet potato fries- baked at home are the best.
Alexia frozen sweet potato fries and sweet potato tater tots are also pretty damn tasty for frozen fries.
I'm not really fond of regular restaurant fries and haven't had fast food fries in years.
Roasted potatoes are amazing also.

Sweet potato fries- baked at home are the best.
Alexia frozen sweet potato fries and sweet potato tater tots are also pretty damn tasty for frozen fries.
I'm not really fond of regular restaurant fries and haven't had fast food fries in years.
Roasted potatoes are amazing also.

I tried that sweet tato tots recently and i liked them!

Reactions: Poppy
Mmm chips! Im not keen on fries but I love a nice chunky crinkle cut chip...with plenty salt, vinegar and ketchup! In a sandwich with oozing butter...Heaven!
Ive made my own sweet potato wedges but not chips. I have oven chips in the house and there are few places that fry in veggie oil so I dont get chips when Im out much.

I think they call the thicker fries, which are more like the UK chips, 'barbecue fries', in the US.....

I sometimes deep fat fry frozen oven chips. Nice with a garlicy pasta salad.

I tend to like long, skinny fries over the thicker versions. If they're a little soggy, that's fine, too, as long as they are very hot and salty. And I like a little cayenne sprinkled on my fries.