French Fries! (what you call chips in the UK)

I think they call the thicker fries, which are more like the UK chips, 'barbecue fries', in the US.....

I sometimes deep fat fry frozen oven chips. Nice with a garlicy pasta salad.

There is also something called 'jo jos', which are thick fries that are... breaded? something is on them, at any rate. Found at truck stops and gas stations. :yes:

I've never heard of 'barbecue fries', but it could be regional. Fries is a pretty loose term here, fast food fries are thin, or sometimes they are curly or crinkled, and restaurant fries tend to be thicker and softer. But it's not universal.

They can't make good fries to save their lives in Montreal. They cook them too long, at a temperature that's too low. I guess that's why they smother them with gravy and cheese curds more often than not here.

Reboot, not with great news.... :eek: Could French Fries Be Killing You?
Researchers found that people who had fried potatoes (such as French fries, tater tots, or hash browns) more than twice a week more than doubled their risk of death. But they didn’t find a link between people who ate unfried potatoes and death. “The frequent consumption of fried potatoes appears to be associated with an increased mortality risk,” researchers said in the study’s conclusion.

I can't even remember the last time I ate French fries... and I think I'll keep steering clear.... LOL :confused:

As with everything else, everything in moderation. If you eat fried potatoes just once in a while, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I suspect anyone who keels over from eating a whole lotta fried potatoes may be eating an unhealthy diet in general, with lots of overprocessed and fatty foods in addition to their high consumption of fries and tater tots.

Pretty ironic that when I first went veg I made the decision to keep fries for when I had no other choice. That hasn't happened nearly as often as I'd imagined. I am surprised that I avoid them as much as I like them. The smell is everywhere!