Have You Become Your Parents?

My mother has incredible strength. She has been by the side of her husband, mother, father, best friend, and numerous others while they were in their final days. She took care of them all. Day in and day out she was by their sides caring for them. I don't know how she does it. I don't know how she remained so strong during the toughest times and still has continued to remain strong. I admire her strength and can only hope that someday I will inherit that quality.

I strive to not become like her when it comes to her lack of direction, non existent cooking skills, and her refusal to recycle anything (it's too much of a hassle to separate the garbage:rolleyes:).

My mother has incredible strength. She has been by the side of her husband, mother, father, best friend, and numerous others while they were in their final days. She took care of them all. Day in and day out she was by their sides caring for them. I don't know how she does it. I don't know how she remained so strong during the toughest times and still has continued to remain strong. I admire her strength and can only hope that someday I will inherit that quality.

I strive to not become like her when it comes to her lack of direction, non existent cooking skills, and her refusal to recycle anything (it's too much of a hassle to separate the garbage:rolleyes:).
That is amazing, faded...the first part, not so much the direction/cooking/recycling part. :)

My mom also showed great strength...I will post more about her when I'm not so sleepy. Yawn.

Heh, your mother and mine sound alike, at least in the strength part and the refusal to recycle (the law has forced her into it, though, lol). My mom is an awesome cook!
I think my mom and I are alike in many ways: compassion for others, strength in tough situations, trying to maintain sunny dispositions in the face of not-so-great circumstances, as in trying to make the best of things, etc., and domestic talents like cooking, baking, sewing, knitting and the like. My dad even remarked about how my Christmas tree-decorating looked to have mother's touch. :)

On the other hand, I unfortunately have some of my biological father's not-so-great traits, such as impatience, stubbornness and a sometimes maddening independent streak (well, maddening to my family, haha). He also can be very blunt, as can I, so it has been a struggle over the years to learn to keep my trap shut in certain situations when my opinion has not been sought, or even when it has been sought.
My dad's not all bad, though. :D I inherited his curiosity and his love of music (he's a huge jazz fan). He is a voracious reader and loves learning, even though he didn't finish high school, and he is very smart. I think I get my lust for travel and the outdoors from him as well, though we didn't go that far. He enjoyed hopping in the car for long drives, even if it was just to the park for a picnic or to visit relatives. We learned a lot about each other on those drives. It's where I picked up my love of listening to baseball on the radio. If there was/is a game on the radio, he was/is listening. He doesn't drive much now because he has really bad eyesight, but he still listens to the radio a ton.

I also look like my mother, but our personalities could not be more different. I dont really know who I take after.

I am more like my father in some ways. But I am pretty different from both of them.

I sure hope so. Now that I'm older and have some perspective, I realize that my dad is a heck of a guy. Everyone who knows him likes him; he has no enemies. And my mom is intelligent, witty and talented. But she does have a wee bit of a temper. I could do without that.

I most definitely take after my stepfather. We have similar attitudes and perspectives on life and sense of humor. Which is great, because he's one of the best people I know, which is why he's still my stepfather even though he hasn't been married to my mother for years. :p

I'm like my mother in many ways too, which is also great because she another one of the best people I know, the sweetest, kindest lady ever and just generally a doll that anyone would be lucky to know.

Hopefully I only resemble my father in artistic ways, cause everything else about him is pretty well fucked up. But I'm probably more like him than I want to think. :-/

My parents were not a conventional couple of their time. My mum worked when none of my friends mums did. She was considered a bit of a maverick in many ways. She was loud, strong and hard working. But she was also unable to show love physically and struggled with the demonstrative gestures associated with motherhood. I dreamed of a "real" mum. She didn't carry a bag wear make up or jewellery . She spent her weekend laying patios or digging allotments. I hated it.

But.. Now when I see my daughter rolling her eyes because I haven't painted my nails or sit looking bored while she tries on clothes I know I am that way too! And when there are desks to move at work or furniture to move indoors I know it is me there first!

But.. I am demonstrative, warm and loving with my kids because I remember how tough life is without it.
That I have inherited from my dad who passed on the gift of humour and warmth in spadefuls!!

As a child I was very much like my dad - where my mum and brother liked shopping, me and dad hung out at the book store/music store before getting tired and sitting in the car until they were done :rofl:. I have lots of shared interests with my dad as well as a shared outlook... but as I've got older, I have found more in common with my mum too. Which is nice :)