Help with seitan..to knead or not

I've only made it once and I never used the boiling method. I just wrapped it (tightly!) in foil and baked it. Didn't really knead it either.

I think wrapping it holds it so that it comes out more dense. I've don't both, wrap and unwrapped and the unwrapped tends to 'grow' a bit where the wrapped does not. This has been my experience.
I'm not sure about the kneading part...I hate to knead and it's the reason I don't make seitan that often. Maybe I'll try it your way and skip the kneading. :)
The best seitan I ever made was when I cooked it about 30 minutes then had to leave to go to my daughter's house. I brought it with me and continued to cook it there for at least another 30-45 minutes. It came out really good!

This is also my experience with seitan and having read lots fo tips on VV, I've changed the initial recipe that I used to follow.

I always add part chickpea flour and nutritional yeast to the wheat gluten . If I have some chickpea purée, I'll also add that to the mixture. I add a couple of spoons of olive oil. I knead it for approx. 4 minutes and leave it to rest (covered) for about 15 minutes. I find that it makes no i no difference to the texture if you knead it longer.

I find that by not wrapping the dough, it is far moister but doesn't have the same shape as it expands. By placing it into a simmering stock (I add lots of ingredients to give it flavour) and poaching (not boiling it) for approx. 30-40 mins and then leaving it to cool completely in the stock it tastes far better. It comes out firm but not rubbery. :)

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52