Home Economics: Your thoughts?

I took shop & home ec in middle school (2003?) in "shop" all we did was play games on the computer.
We did sew, iron and cook in home ec. It was okay, but I think they should have focused on healthy foods. I remember only make desserts.

I took food & nutrition in 10th grade. I was already veg at this point & the teacher let me leave meat out of meals, but again, the 'health' lessons were crap & the food we made was even more crap.

A whole generation who can neither cook nor sew a button is a high price to pay for whatever savings were made, imho.

The fast/convenience food and clothing industries have benefitted massively from the dissapearance of such basic skills though.
At some point, I think parents need to take some responsibility for teaching life skills. It can't all fall on the public school system.

Reactions: Mischief
At some point, I think parents need to take some responsibility for teaching life skills. It can't all fall on the public school system.
This. My mom taught me everything I needed to know to keep house and make things. She is a very patient woman. :D
Still, I think home ec would be useful. I got a nice sense of accomplishment on completing a project. Plus, we often worked in groups, so it taught us responsibility and fostered teamwork.

Last edited:
:D
I took shop & home ec in middle school (2003?) in "shop" all we did was play games on the computer.
We did sew, iron and cook in home ec. It was okay, but I think they should have focused on healthy foods. I remember only make desserts.

I took food & nutrition in 10th grade. I was already veg at this point & the teacher let me leave meat out of meals, but again, the 'health' lessons were crap & the food we made was even more crap.

But, they are healthy because they make you feel happy !

When I was in school girls took Home Ec. and boys took Shop. There was no choice in the matter and it was NOT elective. I did learn a bit about sewing but as others have said, my mother taught me to cook. I did use the sewing skills for quite some time but never really enjoyed it so I no longer sew except for repairs and hemming. I agree that parents SHOULD teach life skills but I think schools should offer some courses as well. Many parents are too stressed with just trying to provide basic needs so don't even THINK about teaching their kids anything. Which is pretty sad....

Reactions: SummerRain