IKEA to roll out vegetarian meatballs

The IKEA closest to me is maybe an hour's drive away, and I have no plans to visit any time soon. But I was in the supermarket recently and noticed that they carry Amy's frozen veggie Swedish meatballs, so I decided to try them.

They're okay. They're how you'd expect decent frozen food to taste. Not spectacular in taste, but not terrible, either. And I've eaten my share of terrible frozen food.

ETA: I think they're vegetarian, not vegan.

I am happy about this, and especially about the fact that they decided to make them vegan (initially, they were planning to make them vegetarian).

So far, IKEA restaurants were not exactly abundant with vegan options, other than some of the salads, french fries and the spaghetti with tomato sauce.

Best regards,
Andy

I am so exited! Was there once with my cousins, but I couldn't eat the meatballs either. I have heard that the IKEA meatballs are really good, so I can't wait to try their veggie meatballs.:starshower:

Reactions: Amy SF
I still haven't had the opportunity to try them. I haven't been to Ikea in quite a while.

I feel like I need to do some expectation management here ... :) The veggie balls were quite alright, pleasant enough taste, definitely a good option if you're at IKEA anyway, but not sure I would want to drive for an hour just for that. Just saying!

I've just eaten the last of the veggie balls. I got many meals out of the 1 kg bag and they are really good value for money. I am planning to go back and buy some more when my freezer has some more room.:)

I still remember the first time that IKEA did - in a truly revolutionary way - in my home country Austria use their restaurants to get people to the stores in droves.

They announced - must have been around 1978 - that you can eat as much salad as you want / can eat for approximately 2 EUR (granted, would likely be more like 5 EUR by today's values) in their store restaurant. That was at a time when all-you-can-eat buffets were unheard of, at least in my home country.

I remember that our family took a trip there on a saturday for an extended furniture shopping / restaurant visit and I ate salad to my heart's content (mind you, I was not vegetarian or vegan then, and not a special salad lover, either. But that was a nice experience).

BTW, there are so far only few reviews of the vegan meatballs - I like them, as well, and one of the reasons I do like them is that they are unmistakeably veggie balls - they do taste like a lot of vegetables, think falafel with added peas and corn. Likely not a "replacement" that many meat eaters, who crave for "the real thing" would eat instead, but great for people liking veggies.

I might probably be one of those who would prefer a vegan burger that tastes more like a "normal" burger at many times, so I keep both the Ikea veggie balls and some more traditional vegan burgers in my freezer, to be ready for both cravings :D.

You can still replicate the taste and texture. It's still all plants. Both are good, though.
Personally, I dislike visible chunks of veggies in mine. I dislike white castles veggie burger for this reason. It's okay for drunk food. :cool:
And yeah, you don't need meat alternatives to be vegan. I just enjoy them.

I bought a bag of frozen ones and they are very tasty and quite inexpensive.

I was watching a YouTube video the other day and they were eating the Ikea veggie balls. They were saying that there are 60 in each pack? This was in the US, not Europe.