Indian Curries

How cool, I am Anglo Indian.. I wouldnt mind hearing more about the dish :) ...
This is my recipe:
2 tablespoons olive oil 120 cals 0 carbs
1 medium onion 60 cals 8.7 carbs
6 garlic cloves 6 carbs
1 small jar curry powder 4.8 carbs
800g can chopped tomatoes 125 cals 41 carbs
1 300g aubergine 240-300 cals 18.6
1 180g red pepper 60 cals 7.2 carbs
1 180g green pepper 40 cals 5 carbs
1 200g courgette 36 cals 4.6 carbs
1 can tomate doble concentrado (or passata)115 cals 35.7 carbs
1 400g jar lentils/beans/chickpeas 350 cals 54/48/55 carbs

Serves 8 170 cals/24 carbs per portion

1. Fry onions and chopped garlic 5 to 10 mins in big saucepan.
2. Add curry powder and fry 2 minutes.
3. Add all other ingredients and bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Serve with 1 vegan burger (240 cals) – optional.
1 cup boiled rice adds 267 cals, 1 cup cauliflower rice is 25 cals.

Reactions: Freesia
This is my recipe:
6 garlic cloves 6 carbs

What would the small jar of curry powder convert to either in tbls or grams/ounces ?

What type of curry powder do you use ?

What would the small jar of curry powder convert to either in tbls or grams/ounces ?
What type of curry powder do you use ?
The plastic jar weighs 57g (gross weight) I buy it in Mercadona supermarket in Spain, it's their own brand (Hacendado) but I use Tesco's or Morrison's own when in the UK.

Last edited:
The plastic jar weighs 57g (net). I buy it in Mercadona supermarket in Spain, it's their own brand (Hacendado) but I use Tesco's or Morrison's own when in the UK.

That would be the equivalent of 4 tbs of curry powder.

Convert 1 tbsp to 1 g, gram of CURRY POWDER

I also have Tesco's, Morrison's, Sainsbury's and Schwartz's curry powder. I also have quite a few of the East End spice products that are available at Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco's. They come in a pouch and are far cheaper than the shop brands.

East End Spices a

They usually cost around 80 P to £1 in the stores.

Last edited:
Now I am craving a curry!

I have to say that I, myself, do enjoy potatoes in curries, on top of chickpeas and all the other classic vegetables.

Having lived in Malaysia for 3 years, where Thai curries were sometimes the lifesaving single-vegan-dish-on-the-menu in some places, I like those a lot, and it always dismays me when I come to a place that is not able to make a curry without using dairy milk. Not as it should be at all IMO.

That would be the equivalent of 9 tbs of curry powder.

Convert 1 tbsp to 1 g, gram of CURRY POWDER

I also have Tesco's, Morrison's, Sainsbury's and Schwartz's curry powder. I also have quite a few of the East End spice products that are available at Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco's. They come in a pouch and are far cheaper than the shop brands.

East End Spices a

They usually cost around 80 P to £1 in the stores.
I haven't weighed the curry. It says 57g net on the bottle and costs about a euro. That's about 2 ounces. The whole jar can't be much more than 2 heaped Tbsp (a British Tbsp = 4 tsp). I think an American Tbsp is different. Tesco's curry powder comes in much bigger packs.

I haven't weighed the curry. It says 57g net on the bottle and costs about a euro. That's about 2 ounces. The whole jar can't be much more than 2 heaped Tbsp (a British Tbsp = 4 tsp). I think an American Tbsp is different. Tesco's curry powder comes in much bigger packs.

You're right. I didn't realise that it was a US conversation site. When I put in the same amount onto a UK conversation site it says 4 tbs. Anyway, when you make it you'll be able to let us know the correct amount.

This is the problem when you want to recreate an authentic curry as perhaps the one eaten isn't the real thing. Moreover, curries have various spices that are difficult to find if you don't live in India.

I recall the korma that I had in a restaurant was rich, creamy quite salty and mild. I would imagine that it was made with cashews, curry leaves and cardamon. It really was perfect. :yes:

The balance of spices was just right.This is also when many people make the mistake by not getting really knowing
how to mix the spices or get the quantity right.

Korma Sauce

Depends where you live.. some places which have Indian population has all the spices available.. here even there are Indian shops where I can go for more obscure things...

There is a curry leaf tree here in the yard but it doesnt seem to like the climate much here, it is pretty rough wind as it is beside the harbour.. it seems to prefer a milder climate..

A lot of the problem I have when cooking is my curry or soup ends up too watery, also I have a tendency to be too conservative with spices, sometimes I dont add enough salt either..

That looks like a good recipe, will try it.. :)

I didnt grow up with curries like the Northern Korma.. when I was perhaps in my teens we would go to Indian restaurants and have butter chicken, Kormas etc.. but they were completetly different than the food we were used to seeing around.. (though delicious :) )

my grandmother also has a korma recipe somewhere but when she made it it was very different than what is the known version..

it doesnt really have a sauce as such, not like the Northern korma anyway, it has a sort of paste which is cooked down..

it is also different to the korma we see in restaurants as it was dark green instead of yellow.. not sure what sort of korma it is but I understand many regions have different kormas :) ..

If you are looking for a good side dish to have with a curry, you can try making a chopped salad/salsa with diced tomato, red onion, coriander leaves and a deseeded red chilli chopped in.. i think that is how it is made anyway.. goes with anything which is spicy like vindaloo or other..

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
This is my recipe:
6 garlic cloves 6 carbs

Sounds really nice. It is good to have a good curry powder.. can really help enhance flavour. One of the things i use it for is I have this nut roast recipe I make sometimes at Christmas, which calls for a small amount of curry powder, it helps lift the savoury and herby/ketchupy flavours of the nut roast a bit.. handy stuff...

So what do you like as an accompaniment/side dish with a curry ? I think that it's actually just as important as the main dish. I always serve it with brown rice (no other grain will do) plus sliced bananas. During the summer months I also like a glass of chilled shandy to go with it. Alcohol and spices don't pair too well.

I have had naan bread and really found that it paired well.The main drawback is that we shops don't stock it over here.

Some people will have chutney and others enjoy a cool cucumber/yogurt salad to kill the fiery taste. Others drink a cool mint lassi with curry.

The best side dishes to serve with a curry
I like Jasmine rice with my curries, especially Chana Masala, and roti. I like the sliced banana idea as well.

I like Jasmine rice with my curries, especially Chana Masala, and roti. I like the sliced banana idea as well.

What is roti ? Bananas pair well with the spices. I picked up this strange combination from someone who lived in Africa.

She says that they always served curry with an assortment of fruit ; grated coconut, fresh pineapples and bananas. I'm sure it would make a curry purist raise their eyebrows.

What is roti ? Bananas pair well with the spices. I picked up this strange combination from someone who lived in Africa.

She says that they always served curry with an assortment of fruit ; grated coconut, fresh pineapples and bananas. I'm sure it would make a curry purist raise their eyebrows.

I guess that is how they go with an African curry.. they have plenty of bean stews and peanut stew type things... also in the East and North they have a lot of spices.. there are Jamaican curries too which would be similar... and they have a lot of plantains over there.. :)

Reactions: Brian W and Val
I guess that is how they go with an African curry.. they have plenty of bean stews and peanut stew type things... also in the East and North they have a lot of spices.. there are Jamaican curries too which would be similar... and they have a lot of plantains over there.. :)

Ohhh yes, I like their peanut stews. I also love fried plantains.:yes:

Reactions: Freesia

Roti is round flatbread. It's basically flour, water and a little salt. It's my version of naan, which usually has dairy in it. I make it on the stove in a cast iron pan. I sometimes use it for wraps as well, though it's a bit thicker than a flour tortilla.

Roti is round flatbread. It's basically flour, water and a little salt. It's my version of naan, which usually has dairy in it. I make it on the stove in a cast iron pan. I sometimes use it for wraps as well, though it's a bit thicker than a flour tortilla.

I will try and make some next time I make curry. Do you use whole-wheat flour ?

Reactions: Frederic Lavender