Kale

I just got a bag of baby kale. I've never had baby kale before, it looks yummy. I'm going to add it to my salads.

Cream of Kale soup sounds delicious.

I just can't get it right, no matter what I do. I think it's one of those things that I want to like but just can't. Although I did have some flavored spicy kale chips that were really good.

I just can't get it right, no matter what I do. I think it's one of those things that I want to like but just can't. Although I did have some flavored spicy kale chips that were really good.

It's difficult to give advise as I don't know what kind of method you've been using. Furthermore, there are many different types of kale.

I think that kale quiche would be a good option if you don't like the bitter taste. Kale soup isn't bitter as I also added other vegetables which gave it a nice balance and velvety, smooth texture.

I think, initially, the kale I was buying had big leaves and was tough so I tried cutting the leaves from the bigger stalks, as you suggested, and I sautéed some in garlic and olive oil. I also tried steaming some and had that with a little EB. Then I bought the baby kale and I still found it to be chewy. I have not done soup with it yet so maybe I'll will do that. I've been making soup often since it turned cold outside.

I think, initially, the kale I was buying had big leaves and was tough so I tried cutting the leaves from the bigger stalks, as you suggested, and I sautéed some in garlic and olive oil. I also tried steaming some and had that with a little EB. Then I bought the baby kale and I still found it to be chewy. I have not done soup with it yet so maybe I'll will do that. I've been making soup often since it turned cold outside.

I find that you have to gently sauté (or wilt) it in evo, add some liquid and just gently steam it.

Reactions: KLS52
There is also the possibility of buying frozen kale so it's available when one can't get it fresh. A newsletter that my mother subscribes to, Nutrition Action Healthletter, says there are several good brands, but their pick of the best is from Earthbound Farms.

kale.png

Reactions: kibbleforlola
I had a raw kale and quinoa salad at M&S food counter last summer and it was delicious. The trick is to marinate the chopped kale in vinaigrette dressing for a couple of hours.

Aldi has a finely chopped kale salad mix I like. It comes with a packet of orange dressing, cranberries and sunflower seeds. I keep stashing the dressing in the freezer and now have a bunch of seed packets! I don't know why I don't use the sunflower seeds on them. I'm really don't like them much. The orange dressing was supposed to be for tofu, but I never think of it.
I could probably just throw regular kale in a food processor for the same effect o_O

I love cooking kale in the Instant Pot. 3 minutes pressure and the stems are nice and soft!

Reactions: Val and KLS52