Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I don't normally watch Dr Berg on Youtube however my honey clicked on this video last night and I was fascinated and we have been checking our pantry for all of the food with maltodextrin in it....... geesh there are a lot of them including Gardein products.

If you have time to watch the video, let me know what you think - we are definitely going to make a concerted effort to cut out all the food with it in it...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I don't normally watch Dr Berg on Youtube however my honey clicked on this video last night and I was fascinated and we have been checking our pantry for all of the food with maltodextrin in it....... geesh there are a lot of them including Gardein products.

If you have time to watch the video, let me know what you think - we are definitely going to make a concerted effort to cut out all the food with it in it...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reading Dr Berg's bio, I'm not impressed with his qualifications and biases. He is a chiropractor and not a dietician. He believes in Keto ans intermittent fasting, two fads whose benefits are somewhat dubious. I will, however, look into Maltodextrin on reputable sites and see what they say. I won't be surprised if this is just another unwarranted panic though.

This site seems quite balanced. What Is Maltodextrin?

Their conclusion is:
Experts consider maltodextrin a safe product for consumption, but it may carry some risks. If you have diabetes or celiac disease, use healthier alternatives to the product. Avoid eating highly processed foods, and instead choose whole grains and vegetables to boost brain, gut, and heart health.
Bold text is for emphasis. The original is normal text.

Maltodextrin: What Is It and Is It Safe?
What’s the take-home message?

Like sugar and other simple carbohydrates, maltodextrin can be part of a balanced diet, but it shouldn’t be the main course, especially for people with diabetes and those who want to maintain weight.

As long as you limit your consumption of it and balance it with fiber and protein, maltodextrin can add valuable carbohydrates and energy to your diet, especially if you’re an athlete or you need to increase your blood sugar level.

Last edited: