Maple syrup--dark or amber?

Which maple syrup do you prefer

• Total voters

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
In need of real maple syrup. We don't use much and it stays in the freezer. Always got the amber version, but wondering about the dark?
I'd like to get some opinions here--how much stronger is the dark? Is it less sweet? Any bitter?
I'm sure I'd be fine with either, but my son who uses more.... ? He's only had amber.

Dark only here. The light one tastes only sweet to me. I don't think of the dark one as bitter and I'm sensitive to "bitter".

I usually stick with Amber because I’m not really into a heavy maple taste. Like Mufflon, I don’t recall the dark being butter, just more pronounced. I visited a place where they made maple syrup and did a tasting. It was fun. But it was a few years ago.
I don’t think there was a huge difference between the Amber and dark but I didn’t like Golden or very dark.

Maple Syrup Grades in Canada & U.S.

(In terms of taste, the lighter the colour, the lighter the flavour.)

Golden – delicate taste, clear and light enough that 75% or more light will shine through it.

Amber – rich taste, light enough that 50-75% of light will shine through it.

Dark – robust taste, only 25-50% of light will shine through it.

Very Dark – very strong taste I’m not sure I’ve even seen any of this in real life. Less than 25% of light can pass through it.

In terms of taste that means, the darker the syrup the stronger and heavier the flavour. If you like a nice light tasting maple syrup, you should choose the Golden syrup. If you like something stronger, go darker.

This would be cool. I wonder if they will have it in the store.

308372C7-38BE-4C06-B77D-73381A143BEF.jpeg

I voted dark but truly as long it is pure Canadian maple syrup I don't mind what colour it is - they are all delicious and bitter is not something that I have ever tasted. If you buy dark just use a bit less of it to cut down on the stronger maple flavour.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52
Remember a few years back when we discussed which maple syrups were vegan?

I haven't done any more research - I just buy that Trader Joe's Canadian maple syrup.

This would be cool. I wonder if they will have it in the store.

View attachment 25805
I bought these. Amber is my favorite. The Golden is a little too mild. The dark is ok but has a distinct heavier taste. The very dark is not good at all. Almost had that burnt coffee taste. Not sure what I will use it for. Definitely not for pancakes or French toast. Maybe in baking?

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Oh I might mix the golden with the dark. 🤔
I’m putting some heart bread on my grocery pick up. I’ll make french toast in the next day or two.

I bought these. Amber is my favorite. The Golden is a little too mild. The dark is ok but has a distinct heavier taste. The very dark is not good at all. Almost had that burnt coffee taste. Not sure what I will use it for. Definitely not for pancakes or French toast. Maybe in baking?
That's what I was afraid of!
I got the amber, esp since my son uses it on waffles mostly

I haven't made french toast in years! Last time was silken tofu thinned with plant milk. I'd like to dip it in extra creamy Chobani oat milk. Or maybe get Chobani pumpkin spice creamer? I don't do creamer, but for french toast...,and topping oatmeal!

Did you mean Wheat bread?

Reactions: Lou
Lol…I’m not even sure now what I meant! Definitely not whole wheat. Maybe hearty? 🤦🏻‍♀️ As in not a mushy white bread lol.

What’s the Difference Between Light & Dark Maple Syrup?

- Maple syrup that is produced at the beginning of the season is light.

- Maple syrup that is produced at the end of the season is dark.

It is that simple....or is it?

The fact is they don't have the same characteristics in flavour. This chart below may help a bit.

My personal taste preference is for the lighter colored ones.

1632400125119.png

Reactions: Emma JC
Multi grain, granary?;)
Multi grain can be iffy here. I’m having a hard time finding good bread. I may have to start trying to make my own again. I used to be really good at it but then had a couple of failures so I quit. Hopefully it’s like riding a bike.
I like the artisan bread that you can mix before bed and bake in the morning.

Reactions: Emma JC
So thank you @silva for starting this thread. I’m having all of these new maple syrup experiences lol.
As much as I don’t like the very dark, I used it to sweeten my iced coffee and it was good! And then I used on my shredded wheat and that was good! I’m glad it’s not going to go to waste. They are all small bottles anyway so they will definitely get used up one way or another.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC