National Cabbage Day

We used to have sorrel soup with a drizzle of vinegar. ;)
Oho! Good for you!🤩 :up: We used to eat a lot of sorrel soup either.🍵 :drool: 😍 That was when my granny Nina was alive. She loved sorrel and therefore, she had many beds of sorrel on our summer cottage plot. We could eat it (the soup) hot and cold. The only minus was that she had a habit of adding chopped boiled eggs into the soup. I've always loved sorrel as it is. It's a shame that nowadays, it can be found in shops so rarely.🌱

Oho! Good for you!🤩 :up: We used to eat a lot of sorrel soup either.🍵 :drool: 😍 That was when my granny Nina was alive. She loved sorrel and therefore, she had many beds of sorrel on our summer cottage plot. We could eat it (the soup) hot and cold. The only minus was that she had a habit of adding chopped boiled eggs into the soup. I've always loved sorrel as it is. It's a shame that nowadays, it can be found in shops so rarely.🌱

We used to pick sorrel in the fields. I also remember picking field mushrooms. There were also lots of wild orchards and bramble bushes. We actually would get a lot of fruit and veg for free back in those days. :)

I really like braised cabbage which is definitely overcooked. However it cooks in it's own juices plus that of an onion and a small amount olive oil.

Reactions: David3 and Val
Ha! Now we're talking! I love bok choy, kale and mustards (I grow a delicious Japanese red mustard that somehow thrives in our autumnal garden despite the ever lingering summer temps) Glorious plants. Boo @ the Moose Turd Person, who doesn't recognize beautiful, greens glory! Obviously, a confused person.

Local collards! Yes. Grab all you can. :yum
I also like collard and kale. You can't find the former in shops over here and kale is only sold in pricey organic stores. I also like spring cabbage. :)
I didn't mention this, because this isn't the gardening subforum... but in my experience, Kale is one of the hardier vegetables in the garden, with Mustard Greens a close second. I remember one year, in my Community Garden plot, one of my Kale plants grew almost as tall as I am!!! It had a trunk almost as thick as my forearm. I still harvested leaves from it to eat; they were tough, I suppose, but still edible and tasted good.

That winter, I left it in the plot. Sometimes I would go by and see it standing... still green in spots. Next spring it started growing again, and it made a big cloud of small yellow flowers; I let them go to seed and collected a lot of them (as well as more leaves to cook and eat). Now, its descendants live in my home garden- but none of them have gotten that big.

Reactions: Val and David3