Need help picking a book

boydwgrossii

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
greetings all!

Do y’all have a recommendation for my wife and I for a book that helps make a grocery list?

I keep finding books that have lots of recipes but none of them layout a meal planned and a grocery list which I need.

We have our sons every other weekend and they don’t care for being-based. Neither of us are philosophical vegans. We are just trying to be healthier.

Maybe something that we could simplify down to recipe cards based on what we like?

Back in the day we would use these pads of lists that could be kept in the kitchen. I think I would keep one on the frig. All the possible things were on the tear off sheet. and then you would take that to the grocery store.
I just checked and they still make them.
Here is one you can get. It might be Amazon's best seller.

But you can see there are many variations of these. but I think this one is pretty typical and also highly rated.

oh. you got me thinking and there are even vegan versions of this..

Reactions: Emma JC
Did that help?
I have some other ideas.
These are all software based.

I've been generating grocery lists on computers since the 90s. Computer geeks will get a kick out of the fact that I used to generate grocery lists in HyperCard on my MacPlus and then print out my list before going to the store.

Later on my iPhone I bought an app called GroceryGadget that I used for many years. I don't think the company is in existence any more. But it was my favorite because it learned about your grocery stores and put the items on your list in the order of the aisles.

Now all I use is AnyList, which may be the easiest and best. It doesn't group the items by aisle but it does group the foods in categories. And you can use it at the drug store or the dollar store or wherever.

There are also website/apps that are very full featured.

The one I use now is CopyMeThat. I use it as an electronic recipe box. All my recipes go into CopyMeThat which is searchable. It does have a shopping list maker. I've never used it and I think to get all the features you have to pay for the premium version.

another option is to use one of the many meal planners on the web.
A lot of them only have free trial versions or like CopyMeThat, the full features are in the premium version. I think MealPlanner is the one to look at first.

You might also take a look at EatThisMuch.

another idea is to look up a Meal Plan from someone like PCRM or ForksOverKnives. They have weekly meal plans, recipes and shopping lists. Those resources are limited to a finite number. I think the PCRM is 3 weeks. but then you could just do it over again. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
I like software!

It would be nice if there was an app where you could select a recipe and it builds a grocery list, knowing how much is going to be left over and how that can apply to other recipes.

I’m assuming that would be really challenging, but it would be very helpful

I like software!
I don't have a premium membership to CopyMeThat, but I have considered it. Its like $25.

All I have used CopyMeThat is for its Recipe Manger.
And I can testify that it does that very well

Anyway, I have not really used copymethat for meal planning or making shopping lists. but it does both and I think if I spent some time using it for those I could figure it out. Right now I can't.

But this is what the company says,
Meal planner

Shopping lists

Right now I use a sheet of notebook paper for meal planning and I use AnyList to make a shopping list from the recipes in my meal plan.

Oh, I figured them both out. it just took a few minutes.
I think I'll check it out. make a new meal plan for next week and a new shopping list. and see how it works.

Meanwhile it you want to check out the recipes sections - take a look at mine.