Question Research Questions

A

Ava Cuffari

Hey, I'm currently a high school student writing a research paper for this college class I'm taking over the summer. We have to study and analyze an online community and its characteristics. I'd love some insight on how exactly your point system works, how to become a member, the specific language you use with each other, and anything else you think would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi Ava, sorry for the super slow reply.

I can never remember how the points work. There is a 'help' page explaining the trophies here, if that's helpful?

You can become a member simply by signing up. There should be a button at the top of the pages. This was probably disabled at the time when you asked due to a technical problem which has since been resolved.

Today's VF (this online community) is the result of a merger between the 'old' VF and a community called Veggie Views (VV). These had slightly different rules. Initially, VV had a rule which restricted membership to vegetarians and vegans, but this was relaxed and removed over time.

You may be able to learn a bit more about VF by reading our rules:

I don't know if we use a specific language. There are several acronyms and abbreviations, such as WW (whole wheat), WFPB (whole foods plant based), veg*n and veg*nism (vegan or vegetarian, any flavour of veganism/vegetarianism) etc. Also a few acronyms related to online communities, such as OP, meaning original post or original poster, i.e. the first post or the first poster in a thread. And yes, threads, posts, sub-forums etc. which are hopefully relatively self-explanatory ...!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou