Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello đź‘‹,
I started eating a health food kept brownie thingy, which I got before I was vegan. I didn’t think about it not being vegan beforehand, but I read the ingredients, to reveal that it had bovine collagen in!
I carried on eating it so that I didn’t have to just throw it out.
I feel bad about it, but it was just an innocent mistake. I’m still vegan, and I hope everyone here will understand and agree.
Anyhow, this is a space to support people who are going vegan but aren’t there yet, those who have made mistakes and those who have eating disorders and mental health conditions that make going vegan harder. Please post replies about vegan slip-ups and struggles with regards to mental health and going vegan. Please also kindly support others in their paths to veganism.
Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Brian W
I slip up every now and then due to weakness, not necessarily ignorance, but the worst thing I can do is kick myself. If I do that, sustaining a plant based diet becomes a chore for me, then it becomes unsustainable because I am no longer enjoying my food. Always forgive yourself!

Reactions: q_nekochan and bEt
This is not necessarily exactly related to veganism, but for myself I find that at the end or just about every single day, there are anywhere from a few to several things I wish I'd done differently. I believe that the healthiest thing to do is to forgive ourselves (and others), reflect on what happened to try to learn from those mistakes, and then move on, hopefully a little wiser.

When I have regrets about something, I'll try to figure out why that happened-- what was the situation, what lead up to it, how was I feeling, how could I prevent the same in the future? In the example you gave, the solution is pretty simple-- now you just know to read labels-- I wish all my problems were so easy to solve!

In any case, as Brian said, it's important to forgive yourself.

Reactions: Brian W
If you want a story that would make you feel better, here is one...

My friend, who is vegan, told me that these crackers are 100% vegan. I was hungry (and greedy, the crackers looked really good) so I ate some before checking the ingredients.
My friend is vegan, so I just assumed that they know the ingredients.

WELLLLLLL

It had egg in it.

Allegedly the crackers used to be vegan.

I learned a valuable lesson.
ALWAYS READ THE INGREDIENTS LIST.

But honestly, don't feel bad about it.
You didn't buy the product when you were vegan.
So just carry on and don't buy any animal products and you are good to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian W