Spice Recommendations

VeganSprig

Eat Your Flowers
Reaction score
8561362.jpg

I want to use a larger variety of herbs and spices. What are your favorite dry herb spices? Which are the hardest to find? Do you have any favorite combinations of spices?

I have a fairly decent spice collection - I love to experiment with different combinations. One of my favourites is Turmeric. I use it in dishes which are supposed to resemble egg (tofu scramble, omelettes, etc), as it gives a great yellow colour and creates a fairly eggy taste and smell when combined with nutritional yeast, garlic, and salt.

A few others that I use regularly are cinnamon (mostly baking and pancakes), paprika, cumin, and chilli powder (spicy stews and curries).

I've never used saffron, because of the expense. Always wanted to try it though.

As for herbs... Rosemary goes on almost anything roasted (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc). Basil and oregano in tomato-based pasta dishes. Chives in mashed potatoes. Thyme and sage in slow-cooked dishes such as casseroles. Parsley in everything (I love parsley), but especially in anything creamy/buttery (garlic butter, white wine sauce, alfredo).

The best way to start learning how to use more herbs and spices is to follow recipes, though. I bought myself a 16-jar spice rack with the herbs and spices included for about £12 online, and started playing with recipes which used them.

I have a fairly decent spice collection - I love to experiment with different combinations. One of my favourites is Turmeric. I use it in dishes which are supposed to resemble egg (tofu scramble, omelettes, etc), as it gives a great yellow colour and creates a fairly eggy taste and smell when combined with nutritional yeast, garlic, and salt.
The best way to start learning how to use more herbs and spices is to follow recipes, though. I bought myself a 16-jar spice rack with the herbs and spices included for about £12 online, and started playing with recipes which used them.

Totally with you on the turmeric combo. I also agree that the best way to learn how to use herbs and spices is through recipes. It's also how I acquired most of mine. I found a recipe that looked good and bought any spices that I didn't already have. Spices can be expensive at the store, and there is no need to go all at once to stock up on them.

My favorite herb is definitely oregano. I use a lot of it in Italian dishes, often even if the recipe doesn't call for it. I also love basil. I grew these two herbs last year in a little pot. Now that it's spring, I think it's time to get some new plants.

Reactions: VeganSprig
My adult son loves to use spices and herbs, and his food tastes good. He uses the Mrs Dash spice blends, curry, and sriracha a lot.

I am more meek and use a lot of fresh herbs like parsley, basil, and oregano. I saute onion as the first step to many dishes I make and squeeze citrus (often a lime) as the last step:)

Cilantro!

Regarding "scrambled tofu" I fully agree with the tumeric, but you should - in addition - also try out Kala Namak (Black salt), which is supposed to give it an "egg" taste.

Other than that, I also love to experiment with herbs. What I also use a lot is vegan dashi (made from seaweed).

Best regards,
Andy

It's hard for me to name a couple, but one of my favorites is oregano. I also like coriander and cumin. Rosemary in small doses is terrific.

My favorite combo of spices is curry.

My mother, for most of her life, thought curry was a single spice :rolleyes::p

I'll stop here as my list could continue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
It's hard for me to name a couple, but one of my favorites is oregano. I also like coriander and cumin. Rosemary in small doses is terrific.

My favorite combo of spices is curry.

My mother, for most of her life, thought curry was a single spice :rolleyes::p

I'll stop here as my list could continue.

I'm sure that many people also think the same !:D

I've noticed that curry isn't too popular in the US compared to the UK.

Heh! Some cool ideas there already. Here's a couple from me ...

1. To Give Chili-Non Carne some extra depth to its taste: Add about a teaspoon of roast ground cumin for each tin of toms in the last minute or so of the onion browning stage.

2. To give an italian style tomato sauce an extra 'zing': A small amount amount of salt and sugar plus the tinsiest dash of balsamic vinegar at the final reduction stage.

Heh! Some cool ideas there already. Here's a couple from me ...

1. To Give Chili-Non Carne some extra depth to its taste: Add about a teaspoon of roast ground cumin for each tin of toms in the last minute or so of the onion browning stage.

2. To give an italian style tomato sauce an extra 'zing': A small amount amount of salt and sugar plus the tinsiest dash of balsamic vinegar at the final reduction stage.

For several years now balsamic vinegar has been my "secret ingredient" when making tomato based sauces for Italian dishes.. Great call there!

Reactions: Clueless Git
I want to like spices so bad. :(
I make one dish that I like that has a lot of spices...Chinese 5 spice, curry, ginger, garlic, black and cayenne pepper...Must be the combo because I don't like most of the spices on their own.

I seriously think I'm allergic to Thyme, Rosemary, Sage...just the smell makes me gag. Wahh!

I want to like spices so bad. :(
I make one dish that I like that has a lot of spices...Chinese 5 spice, curry, ginger, garlic, black and cayenne pepper...Must be the combo because I don't like most of the spices on their own.

I seriously think I'm allergic to Thyme, Rosemary, Sage...just the smell makes me gag. Wahh!

Yes, many spices don't pair well. Chinese 5 spice and curry sound awful if mixed. What kind of a recipe did you follow ?

Thyme, rosemary and sage have to be used in small quantities and certainly do not pair well with certain foods.

The wrong amount or mixture of spices, certainly can turn a recipe into a disaster.

I don't like the amount of spices that lots of US cookies and cakes contain. I find that they are far too heavy handed with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

When I make a dish that simmers and requires herbs de provence, I usually put them into a small spice ball and not directly onto the food.

I love ginger, basil, rosemary, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, red pepper and blends like Old Bay.

Yes, many spices don't pair well. Chinese 5 spice and curry sound awful if mixed. What kind of a recipe did you follow ?
I'm a little late, ha, but this one:

THAI CURRY VEGETABLES
2 TBLSP Oil
1 tsp Five Spice Seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Chopped Garlic
1/2 tsp Chopped Ginger
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3 tsp Curry Powder
1 TBLSP Tamari Sauce
2 TBLSP Rice Vinegar
1 cup Vegetable Broth
1 cup Coconut Milk
2 cups chopped potatoes
2-3 cups of vegetables

Add oil in fry pan and add 5 spice, salt, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, black pepper, cayenne pepper, curry powder. Stir until heated through. Add vegetable, broth, rice vinegar and Tamari sauce. Stir until heated through. Add potatoes and vegetables of choice. Simmer approximately two hours. Add coconut milk and cook until heated through.
I always add extra broth when I make this because I end up adding more veggies/potatoes and sometimes, cooked lentils...preferably red. It comes out really hot/spicy so the extra broth helps tone it down some for me, yet it still has quite a bit of kick to it. This is a really versatile recipe. The last time I made it I measured the spices exactly. I used to cut back some on the curry/ginger/5 spice but I have to say, this last time was the best tasting for me. You can use whatever vegetables you like. You can also omit the potatoes and serve it over rice. I change it up almost every time I make it. It's always delicious.