Struggles with my 2.5 year Vegan Child-Need advice

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some struggles with my 2.5 year old little man, who's a vegan .. Need advice/help please

Hi. My wife and I are vegans, have been for over 5 years now. We have a 2.5 year old little guy who we've so far raised fully vegan. But I have to say we have struggles at times as he can be a very picky eater, as most toddlers are. But when a vegan toddler is super picky and wont eat, isn't this possibly worse than a non-vegan toddler since they are probably getting more packed/condensed nutrients/calories (eating animal products) even as picky eaters?? Who knows, maybe even if we offered him cheese, eggs, meat, etc. he'd still have those super picky days and barely eat. But I just wonder if the non-vegan toddler just simply gets more into his body (nutrients, calories, etc.) than a vegan toddler on those many bad picky eating days, that all toddlers have.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but we're just stressing about this quite a lot as he eats well at times but other times not at all. We're offering him an array of very healthy foods and have even worked with a vegan dietitian but we do at times wonder if this is all worth it (the whole raising a baby/toddler/child vegan). Do we want to quit this and begin giving him animal products as food? No we do not but sometimes we just truly worry. We just want him to be ok and healthy as he grows and develops...

Just wondering about all of this, would love some thoughts/feedback...

Is his weight or development suffering? What are the foods he will eat? Nuts, seeds, avocado? Beans legumes? Whole grains? Smoothies?
What does the dietician recommend?
It is stressful going against the norm as I know you've struggled with so much opposition. Honestly, I'd stay away from dairy
Check out books by Brenda Davis RD. on raising vegan kids
Picky eating in those years is so common.

Reactions: Second Summer
Is his weight or development suffering? What are the foods he will eat? Nuts, seeds, avocado? Beans legumes? Whole grains? Smoothies?
What does the dietician recommend?
It is stressful going against the norm as I know you've struggled with so much opposition. Honestly, I'd stay away from dairy
Check out books by Brenda Davis RD. on raising vegan kids
Picky eating in those years is so common.
his weight is just fine and his development seems completely normal, actually very good. he eats an array of foods that mostly my wife prepares for him. beans, smoothies, avocados, peanut butter, veggies, etc..

Again, i know that ALL toddlers are picky eaters (vegan or not). Our concern is when a picky eater (toddler) is fully plant based is that toddler getting less nutrition/calories/nutrients than a non-plant based toddler? I need to speak to another vegan dietitian and/or vegan pediatrician. We're just getting to the point of feeling worried and maybe this just isnt going to work, raising our child vegan.

Some struggles with my 2.5 year old little man, who's a vegan .. Need advice/help please

Hi. My wife and I are vegans, have been for over 5 years now. We have a 2.5 year old little guy who we've so far raised fully vegan. But I have to say we have struggles at times as he can be a very picky eater, as most toddlers are. But when a vegan toddler is super picky and wont eat, isn't this possibly worse than a non-vegan toddler since they are probably getting more packed/condensed nutrients/calories (eating animal products) even as picky eaters?? Who knows, maybe even if we offered him cheese, eggs, meat, etc. he'd still have those super picky days and barely eat. But I just wonder if the non-vegan toddler just simply gets more into his body (nutrients, calories, etc.) than a vegan toddler on those many bad picky eating days, that all toddlers have.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but we're just stressing about this quite a lot as he eats well at times but other times not at all. We're offering him an array of very healthy foods and have even worked with a vegan dietitian but we do at times wonder if this is all worth it (the whole raising a baby/toddler/child vegan). Do we want to quit this and begin giving him animal products as food? No we do not but sometimes we just truly worry. We just want him to be ok and healthy as he grows and develops...

I only gave my son vegetarian when he was under 2. When i did give him sausage and egg he rejected it. Sat in his high chair firing it around the room. One of my favourite memories. I had a problem with the social services and my Dad took over his custody when he was 2 so i have no further experience.
What i can say though is that i have never quite managed the vegan diet as yet. So maybe if you give your child a hot dog, cheeseburger, roast pork or beef dinner every now and then you will not have to say too much about the vegan side of things until your nipper is old enough to understand.
Also i have started to notice different types of vitamins for vegan or vegetarian in my local chemist.
I wish you and your little one well.

• Disagree
Reactions: silva
I only gave my son vegetarian when he was under 2. When i did give him sausage and egg he rejected it. Sat in his high chair firing it around the room. One of my favourite memories. I had a problem with the social services and my Dad took over his custody when he was 2 so i have no further experience.
What i can say though is that i have never quite managed the vegan diet as yet. So maybe if you give your child a hot dog, cheeseburger, roast pork or beef dinner every now and then you will not have to say too much about the vegan side of things until your nipper is old enough to understand.
Also i have started to notice different types of vitamins for vegan or vegetarian in my local chemist.
I wish you and your little one well.
I am really sorry. I replied without reading your post first and it does not match in every way

• Friendly
Reactions: Second Summer
@mrvegan , your concerns are very understandable- now your concerns are all about your child, not advocating for animals. Thankfully they both serve the same purpose. A plant based diet not being the norm does cause second guessing, and you absolutely do need to understand the nutrition and science of plants. We're so used to the side effects of of meat and dairy people accept them as trivial, but they're really harmful, and don't contribute to health. They will put on weight, and give you more protein than needed.
Kids don't need any sugar or oil yet people will also condemn you if you hold back those candy and snack treats. Doesn't make sense does it, but parents will feel the guilt.

Don't think of this in terms of raising a vegan, think of this as raising someone with the best knowledge you have. I personally would have killed and cooked my cat if I was convinced my children would need that to thrive. I did raise them with meat out the same concerns you have, and I wished I would have both known better, and have been stronger. It wasn't easy being married to someone who opposed it.

Dr Michael Greger has formulated the daily dozen structure of nutrients for complete nutrition--along with added B12, and recognizes registered dieticians like Brenda Davis who writes about, and has raised, vegan kids.
Saying vegan implies the same kinds of necessary junk foods that typical omni diets get which is why I don't like using the term, even though wfpb is by default vegan.

Are you not comfortable with the dietician you've been seeing? Do you think your struggles are mostly based on cultural norms? For what it's worth, if relatives want to give him foods you don't agree with it won't hurt if he gets better at home. Problem will be though that they will use it to prove why he's thriving rather than what he's fed at home. Of course they'll make it whatever way they want. you have to accept you won't win this either way, even if your son grows to be an athletic genius raised vegan!

@mrvegan , your concerns are very understandable- now your concerns are all about your child, not advocating for animals. Thankfully they both serve the same purpose. A plant based diet not being the norm does cause second guessing, and you absolutely do need to understand the nutrition and science of plants. We're so used to the side effects of of meat and dairy people accept them as trivial, but they're really harmful, and don't contribute to health. They will put on weight, and give you more protein than needed.
Kids don't need any sugar or oil yet people will also condemn you if you hold back those candy and snack treats. Doesn't make sense does it, but parents will feel the guilt.

Don't think of this in terms of raising a vegan, think of this as raising someone with the best knowledge you have. I personally would have killed and cooked my cat if I was convinced my children would need that to thrive. I did raise them with meat out the same concerns you have, and I wished I would have both known better, and have been stronger. It wasn't easy being married to someone who opposed it.

Dr Michael Greger has formulated the daily dozen structure of nutrients for complete nutrition--along with added B12, and recognizes registered dieticians like Brenda Davis who writes about, and has raised, vegan kids.
Saying vegan implies the same kinds of necessary junk foods that typical omni diets get which is why I don't like using the term, even though wfpb is by default vegan.

Are you not comfortable with the dietician you've been seeing? Do you think your struggles are mostly based on cultural norms? For what it's worth, if relatives want to give him foods you don't agree with it won't hurt if he gets better at home. Problem will be though that they will use it to prove why he's thriving rather than what he's fed at home. Of course they'll make it whatever way they want. you have to accept you won't win this either way, even if your son grows to be an athletic genius raised vegan!

My son is 29 now. I told him he had a vegetarian diet as soon as i got the opportunity.
I agree with you on one subject.
Lentils, rice and vegetables are a lot healthier than some of the meat and dairy foods.
But sometimes the healthiest option on the menu is a meat recipe.
I personally prefer vegan.
I have always tried to care about the planet.
I have taken more of a liking to animals since i have had pet rabbits for just under two years. Prior to that had never really given them much thought.
Happy Christmas and New Year.

My son is 29 now. I told him he had a vegetarian diet as soon as i got the opportunity.
Lentils, rice and vegetables are a lot healthier than some of the meat and dairy foods.
I have taken more of a liking to animals since i have had pet rabbits for just under two years. Prior to that had never really given them much thought.
I have done it again. Sorry.

I do agree with that! It really isn't as if animal products are toxic, but that we don't require them, and never in the amounts and quality most people consume. I wouldn't suggest being so stringent with your kids that personal purity takes preference over everything. For yourself, sure

Reactions: Clairey
I do agree with that! It really isn't as if animal products are toxic, but that we don't require them, and never in the amounts and quality most people consume. I wouldn't suggest being so stringent with your kids that personal purity takes preference over everything. For yourself, sure
I do believe a vegan diet could knock back a cancer scare .
Also that a vegan diet can help to prevent some illnesses.
As long as it is the right products and the healthy cookery methods.
Eg oven cooking without oil instead of frying.

I do believe a vegan diet could knock back a cancer scare .
Also that a vegan diet can help to prevent some illnesses.
As long as it is the right products and the healthy cookery methods.
Eg oven cooking without oil instead of frying.
Yeah, everyone likes to breakdown the hazards of a vegan diet while dismissing the reality that the majority standard diet brings more
A kid has health issues on a vegan diet the diet is automatically to blame
Kid has health issues on a standard diet diet is rarely considered
Kids today in many countries are more overweight, with high BP, diabetes, heart problems. You don't find that in plant based kids
We truly need to relearn our relationship with food and exercise.

A book that really delves into nutrition is Dr Gregers How Not to Diet
I don't recommend for those with OCD as it does examine things in great detail. We need to stop comparing plant foods with animal products and start looking at the nutrition they provide instead, not like meat and potatoes=seitan and potatoes

Reactions: Emma JC
We're offering him an array of very healthy foods and have even worked with a vegan dietitian but we do at times wonder if this is all worth it (the whole raising a baby/toddler/child vegan).
his weight is just fine and his development seems completely normal, actually very good. he eats an array of foods that mostly my wife prepares for him. beans, smoothies, avocados, peanut butter, veggies, etc..
That sounds really good. Have you tried hummus as well? What about tofu? Our daughter loved to eat raw tofu, just microwaved enough to kill off any bacteria. (Completely uncooked tofu gave her a stomachache, probably because of bacteria.)
She always was a giant and is still in the 98th percentile at 12 y.o. And how about vegan meat substitutes? Hot dogs etc.
It's not been my experience that people judged us for feeding our daughter sugary or oily food. Perhaps because those foods are so common in everyone else's diets.

If I can offer one piece of advice - and you're free to ignore it, as your kid appears to be doing just fine - but if you feel you need him to eat more, then remember that kids generally do not like the typical healthy food. There are loads of vegan options that are perhaps not exactly the healthiest, but still very common in standard diets.

Bonus advice: Also remember kids love the little extra in presentation and delivery of food. Is the plate filled with veggies that are laid out in the shape of a cat? Does the potatoes sing a little song as they approach his mouth? (Or scream in terror?) Are you actually digging a tunnel through his porridge and he has to help by eating what you dig out? Can he guess what you have drawn on his food with ketchup?

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15

I am not a mom of a human child, but some kids can be very picky. Perhaps taking him on a field trip to a vegetable farm and
showing him things growing, and buying from the farmer would help. Perhaps having your own vegetable garden would help,
helping mom prepare meals in the kitchen, etc. would help.
What does he not like? the texture? spices? flavor?...who knows.
I would try different recipes, for vegan burgers, for bean burritos, almond milk, lasagna, pasta's, granola's, oatmeal, etcetera and see
what happens.
If he drinks soymilk and nut milks that adds to the choices.
Maybe he will grow out of this phase.
I grew up near a neighbor whose 8 year old boy only ate tuna fish, pasta, peanut butter, chicken, and very few other foods. I felt sorry for his
mom who was a nurse. I was taught to eat everything and was not picky.