My vegan 2.5 year old blood test results.

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
my little man is 2 and a half years old. we’ve raised him fully vegan since birth (we’re all vegans btw). we decided to all get our blood work done recently. everything is nearly perfect for all 3 of us except my cholesterol is a bit high and so is my sons. odd as vegans. hmm. Any thoughts on this? we will test his blood again as the doctor thinks it’s possible it’s a mistake in the tests.

Reactions: Second Summer
There is a genetic predisposition to high Cholesterol. I would suspect you and your son have it. I also don't think it's anything to lose sleep over or worry about.

Keep doing blood tests and monitoring. And even with a vegan diet you might be able to make some more adjustments (see bottom link). Talk some more with your Doctor, too.

Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) can be caused by inherited changes (mutations) in the LDLR, APOB, and PCSK9 genes, which affect how your body regulates and removes cholesterol from your blood. About 60-80% of people with FH have a mutation found in one of these three genes. Genetic testing is available to check for mutations in these genes. However, there are likely more genes involved in FH that remain unknown​